the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Just how much distance can high humidity cause you to lose, today it was 2-4c over the round with a humidity that started at 91% and ended the round at 83% according to my weather app. Reason i ask drives that i was hitting a week ago that was carrying 240-250 yards was only carrying 215-225 yards.

Just how much distance can high humidity cause you to lose, today it was 2-4c over the round with a humidity that started at 91% and ended the round at 83% according to my weather app. Reason i ask drives that i was hitting a week ago that was carrying 240-250 yards was only carrying 215-225 yards.

Maybe you should look elsewhere for the cause, higher humidity purportedly increased carry a little at the same temperatures because water vapor is less dense than the oxygen/nitrogen that it displaces.

Perhaps the 8 c drop in temps?

Yes that could make a difference, especially since you were playing when it was almost freezing outside. The ball just isn't going to travel as far, the colder it is the harder it is to compress the ball and get distance out of it.

I play in humid conditions 80% of the time. I don't see any distance loss.

At a guess id be thinking its the drop in temps. 25 yards is a huge loss though!!!

It was quite strange cause the drives i really nailed when measured just wasn't the distance I'm used to. There must have been something in the air today.

Im with Tadashi here, it's often humid in my area, and I never really see a distance loss.

But, then again, that could be why I can only hit my driver 220.

It was quite strange cause the drives i really nailed when measured just wasn't the distance I'm used to. There must have been something in the air today.

How were you measuring it? Are your distances GPS measured, or are you normally just comparing distances based on score card tee box and what is left to the green?

The science does say the humid conditions results in longer flight due to water vapor is less dense ten dry air at the same temps. Then one also can talk barometric pressure also palying a role in it too.

Then there is the human factor. I cannot take hot and very humid conditions. It is not comfy for me at all and I'm sure others as well. I remember playing one specific round this summer where the humidity was most rediculous I think I've ever remembered I had to deal with. One of a rare day that I wished I couldnt wait to get back into some air conditioning. This can cause fitigue especially when walking and the fitigue can result in loss of swing speed and body power too. This in itself caused me to lose considerable yardage that day. I was actually striking the drives well that day but just didnt have the power I can normally generate via swingspeed and the legs/body I normally can get into the ball.

But it was 2c and frost in places??? The only reason I say I'm asking about humidity is because the weather forecast has it high.

It obviously could also be something swing related. Maybe you're not quite hitting the sweet spot, getting too much spin, or not releasing as well.

Think I read somewhere that you lose 2-4 yds for every 10 degrees under 60F (15c I think) plus factor in course conditions and this probably
explains your yardage loose.

I don't think humidity is your issue, as others have said, I play all the time with humidity in the 80-90% range and don't see distance losses because of that, however with air temperatures close to freezing you will not compress the ball nearly as much and it will cause a loss of distance...but 25 yards is alot.

But it was 2c and frost in places??? The only reason I say I'm asking about humidity is because the weather forecast has it high.

My bad as far as the cold temps but even though cold instead of hot I can still argure human factor also. Cold body means stiff means tight mean slow speed among other things which in addition to the cold wether can all help result in losses of distance.

Back