Where to Eat in Savannah

dhill

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to be in Savannah for work in a few weeks and we're looking for a few recommendations for food.

It is a trip with some of the top fundraisers for the MS Society in the southeast region, they raise over $10K each.
The first night on our Tour of Champions trip we like to take everyone out to a decent place that has some local flavor / flair.
On the second night our champions have free time and are on their own for dinner but I'd like to give them a list of a few places that have been recommend. Anything is up for suggestions there.
Sunday we have planned at the hotel.

If you could make recommendations and maybe give me an idea of price ranges for entrees that'd be great as we put the finishing touches on the trip.

Thanks!

If he does not see this, send a PM to War Eagle. His family lives there.

It all depends on what kind of food you want... taste of the south, nice sit down meal, bbq, etc.

A lot of people will tell you to go to Paula Deans restaurant, and while her Southern Buffett is good, there are many other places I would try if only going for a few days.

What kind of food are you looking for? I could name off a few hundred restaurants.

It all depends on what kind of food you want... taste of the south, nice sit down meal, bbq, etc.

A lot of people will tell you to go to Paula Deans restaurant, and while her Southern Buffett is good, there are many other places I would try if only going for a few days.

What kind of food are you looking for? I could name off a few hundred restaurants.

We're looking for something that's probably closer to a taste of the south / nice sit down combo. I'd lean more toward taste of the south.
I don't really want to do Paula Dean's because I have a feeling some of them might have been there before.
We are staying here:
[h=1]Hyatt Regency Savannah[/h]2 W. Bay Street,
Savannah, Georgia, USA 31401
And something fairly close to there would be awesome.

For Saturday night anything is really up. In Austin last year we ate at a Tex Mex place on the first night, and the second night we went to this indie burger place called Hop Doddy's. It had an absolutely amazing burger.

Thanks for your help.

I went to the Crystal Beer Parlor when I was in town and it was great. It's casual, but the food and atmosphere was great and it was off the beaten path a little.

We're looking for something that's probably closer to a taste of the south / nice sit down combo. I'd lean more toward taste of the south.
I don't really want to do Paula Dean's because I have a feeling some of them might have been there before.
We are staying here:
Hyatt Regency Savannah

2 W. Bay Street,
Savannah, Georgia, USA 31401
And something fairly close to there would be awesome.

For Saturday night anything is really up. In Austin last year we ate at a Tex Mex place on the first night, and the second night we went to this indie burger place called Hop Doddy's. It had an absolutely amazing burger.

Thanks for your help.
Let me think on this for a few, so many great places down around that area. Right on the water front, love it!

One of my all time Favorite restaurants, of anywhere, is The Old Pink House in Savannah. It's pricey, but by far some of the best meals I have ever had came from there.

Garibaldi's Cafe is phenomenal (Crispy Flounder is legendary).

Moon River Brewery is a great place to go and have a few beers and have a great gourmet burger.

Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub is a blast; Great food, great beer, all in a Scottish Pub atmosphere.

Another "pub" type place is Churchill's Pub & Restaurant. Pub fare type food, which is all delicious. Good beer to choose from, and always a great time.

For some great seafood, in a great spot, Tubby's Tank House overlooks the water, has great prices and good food; Nothing fancy but is always a great place for a group!

Another seafood joint is Fiddler's. Typical seafood dishes, affordable and delicious.

Those are a few I could come up with quickly, can definitely work on the list for ya!

Thanks PGG & Wow, War, what a list. I really appreciate the feedback so far.
I'm going to spend tomorrow looking at some of those sites, and getting hungry I'm sure!

I lived in Savannah for a couple years before moving to TX. Here are a few of my favorites:

The Olde Pink House - a bit expensive, a bit touristy but great food and service.
Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room - some of the best southern and soul food around, the fried chicken is outstanding!
Leopold's Ice Cream - great Ice Cream, decent sandwiches.
Wiley's BBQ - a short drive from Savannah to Whitemarsh Island, I could eat bushels of their fried Okra.
Blowin Smoke - BBQ place downtown, brisket, fried okra and cole slaw.....:act-up:

Hope that helps.

Try The Shrimp Factory down on the river front.

TapAhoy!

I second Moon River Brewery, but for something a little more contemporary, one of the best meals I've had was last fall at a place called Local 11 Ten, def worth checking out

Try The Shrimp Factory down on the river front.

TapAhoy!

I like this choice a lot, along with The Old Pink House and I even like Uncle Bubba's pretty well too. I would avoid The Pirate House and Paula Deen's, more tourist type places rather than really good food.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Olde Pink House is fantastic. The upstairs is more fine dining in the rooms of the old mansion. Downstairs they have a dark, pub setting that is more casual. You feel like if you look in the corner you'll see Ben Franklin or Paul Revere having a conversation by the fire. Great setting. They have Cheerwine BBQ Chicken sliders that are so good you'll wake up dreaming about them with drool on your pillow for years afterwards. I know I do.

Wiley's BBQ has maybe the best brisket I've ever had. Melt in your mouth. Literally the most tender brisket I've had anywhere.

If you do want traditional southern, Mrs. Wilke's is the place to go, not Paula Dean's. Mrs. Wilke's is the original and still the best. PD's is a tourist trap. The Pirate House used to be good but they've lost "it" lately, too.

A nice breakfast place is Howey's on the River. They make biegnets. J. Christophers is also a good little breakfast diner type joint. Another place we enjoy is called Goose Feathers. Nice sandwich place for lunch.

Certainly is War Eagle. I recommend the She Crab soup with sherry too.

TapAhoy!

Let me think on this for a few, so many great places down around that area. Right on the water front, love it!

Garibaldi's Cafe is phenomenal (Crispy Flounder is legendary).

Moon River Brewery is a great place to go and have a few beers and have a great gourmet burger.

We are headed to Garibaldi's on Thurdsay night and I'm not sure yet but some of our folks are leaning towards Moon River for Friday night.

Thanks again to everyone for the great suggestions. I just wish I had time to get in a round while down there.

Back