Unlimited Range Balls

golfurr

I am happy.
Reaction score
Handicap
My local driving range is under new management. It's a nice layout I think, always good quality balls, excellent grass to hit from, nice and big, etc. The new owner is changing things up by adding a full golf shop, a putting/chipping green, etc. I'm looking forward to that.

Normally the small bucket is $6, the medium $8, large $10, and a crate for $20. I have spent a bunch of money over the years.

Anyway, he is going to offer a yearly plan for $650 for unlimited balls. I think I'm going to go for it. Does it sound like something you would consider?

The upside is that I would practice a lot and get my money out of it. The downside is that I am a member of a course with a small driving range and for $10 a month I get range balls there. But it's not as good, the range is shorter, the grass is poorer and sometimes you must use mats, the balls are not as good, etc.

Help me decide please

I think that it's a good deal, but I would if possible find a different club that you like and has better facilities than the one that you currently belong to and spend the money there. It might be a bit more expensive but it would be worth it and you have an extra $650 to that place. I'd think that is SC there are many golf options Just my 2 cents though. I belong to a club with a nice range that has either grass or mats depending on your preference. The short game practice area could be better though

My local driving range is under new management. It's a nice layout I think, always good quality balls, excellent grass to hit from, nice and big, etc. The new owner is changing things up by adding a full golf shop, a putting/chipping green, etc. I'm looking forward to that.

Normally the small bucket is $6, the medium $8, large $10, and a crate for $20. I have spent a bunch of money over the years.

Anyway, he is going to offer a yearly plan for $650 for unlimited balls. I think I'm going to go for it. Does it sound like something you would consider?

The upside is that I would practice a lot and get my money out of it. The downside is that I am a member of a course with a small driving range and for $10 a month I get range balls there. But it's not as good, the range is shorter, the grass is poorer and sometimes you must use mats, the balls are not as good, etc.

Help me decide please

If the additional $10 a month at your club is for unlimited, I would do that and do most of my practice there. 120 vs 650? That's a difference of 530, and you can still go to the nicer range if you want to.

Not sure. $50+ dollars a month for range balls seems rather high in some areas. My last country club offered unlimited range balls for $299. Another course we were at was $199 and the most expensive was our club corp club that was $429, but that was for 2 people.

I guess it depends on how much you really like the facility and how often it will get used. You would have to get more out of it than about 7 of the medium buckets a month, every single month. So roughly two medium buckets a week, every week for the year. If you would/will, it might be worth it.

That seems high to me as well. The local 9 hole par 3 course offers unlimited range ball and unlimited use of the 9 hole course for 360 bucks a year.

12.50 a week, 50ish bucks a month... I guess it just depends how much you're going to use it..

I personally don't know that I would. How about the other courses in the area? Any of them with solid ranges that can be built into memberships?

I would go to your member course for $10 and spend the money you'd save on playing at a course... But I'm not a big fan of hittin the range either. Rather spend my money out on the course.

$650 for range balls and a practice facility seems high especially when you can get unlimited balls for 120 a yr at your course. The grass maybe not as nice at your course and the occasional mat use maybe a drag, but is it worth 530 a yr to have the range membership on top of your club membership? only you can decide that.

Is there another course near you that is nicer and within that $500 difference that offers unlimited range balls with a better practice facility? If there is thats where I'd go to.

That is a lot of money for just range balls. I like the idea that others have brought up of maybe upgrading your course membership instead.

The only thing that would make me lean towards doing it is if it is really close to your house.

I love ParTee, I'm going to miss Dan, but I think Tom is going to rejuvenate that driving range which has a TON of potential; my favorite place in Columbia to hit a bucket

Help me decide please

while the $650 is a decent deal if you frequent the range, i'd stick with the other place. so it's a shorter range and worse balls, the reason you go to the range is to work on your swing, not see how far you can hit it. just my 2 pennies.

while the $650 is a decent deal if you frequent the range, i'd stick with the other place. so it's a shorter range and worse balls, the reason you go to the range is to work on your swing, not see how far you can hit it. just my 2 pennies.

But how do you work on driver if you aren't allowed to hit it?

I agree that it seems a little high. The range plan is included with my membership on the rtj, but a non member can get a year for $420, and that includes use of the 18 hole short course.

I'd go with the unlimited range balls at the course, personally. the only time I go to a driving range, instead of using the one at the course I'm playing at, is when I'm not going to be able to play 18 that day/weekend. I usually just hit a small bucket of balls anyway to loosen up so $10 a month for unlimited balls seems like the better deal to me. I'm with you on hitting off the mats though. I hate doing that but for a $530 difference.. I'd bite the bullet.

But how do you work on driver if you aren't allowed to hit it?

well he didn't say they're not allowed to hit driver... every range i know of has nets so that your ball doesn't go past property lines..

well he didn't say they're not allowed to hit driver... every range i know of has nets so that your ball doesn't go past property lines..

4 courses around me do not allow drivers on the range. One is wedge shots only

If you can afford the 650 then go for it. Hittin off mats is turrible so I feel ya there.

He did mention the range is shorter. Which shows that is something that could be a concern. But look at it however you like

$650 seems really high to me. For my area at least. I pay $700 for my membership at my course. Which is probably top 10 course within 30 min driving radius.

Check out www.bataviagolf.com that's the driving range/simulator I belong to. I pay $175 for unlimited range balls all summer. Large bucket (100 swings) is only $6.

Back