2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some Shaun T Rockin Body cardio last night, 15 minutes nothing too special but was exercise regardless

then did Insanity Day 2 today, freaking kicked my butt, I feel pretty good, managed to stay moving almost the whole time, just had about a 7-10 minute lapse or so where I was dragging and had to improvise.

I bet you can do it dude. Freddie with a six-pack at the Outing. Will probably try and golf shirtless.

Can we call him Freddie Daly? Lol

If you guys are interested in the meal replacement shakes, my wife is a Beachbody coach.

If you guys are interested in the meal replacement shakes, my wife is a Beachbody coach.

send me a pm, im willing to try anything for the cause

I love the dedication Nate. Very, very cool.

I am no guru nor am I am gym rat, but I know that when I used to train for hockey I would have to get it out of the way early, or right after work. Leaving my sessions for after dinner would be at best a 50% success rate with a medium range workout. I just didn't have the motivation or the energy for it. Another great thing about getting it done in the mornings is that it absolutely gives your body a boost. I love the feeling after an early workout. No sluggish morning meetings for this guy. A coffee and a fireball of energy haha!

Can't wait to see what you end up doing, and follow along in your progression.

Nate

My opinion, based on what time you have available, is to do morning workouts whenever possible, and the reasons are several fold.

1. It's a great feeling to be done at 6:30 and know that workout isn't waiting for you! You can do an interval type workout in 20-30 min tops, and you will make tremendous gains. I always say, you can workout long, or workout hard - very tough to do both. I find it was tough starting out, but once you get in that routine, it gets much easier, and if you mix it up a little, you may even look forward to it!

2. Several studies have shown the body tends to burn more fat doing cardio workouts in the a.m. From my own experience, I know I lost more weight in the past doing a.m cardio - particularly interval type training! If you are going to put some of your workout off until later, I would suggest that be the weight training part. Early a.m weight training can be great, but it requires more warm up time, and most people, in a rush to fit those workouts in, tend to skip on that, and that has a real good chance to lead to injuries.

Go get 'em!

I have loss weight and not sure how I have done it :bulgy-eyes:? I weighed in this morning at 211 which is better than I have been in some time. I suppose keeping beer out of my fridge, in respect for my son is a good thing :thumb:

I have loss weight and not sure how I have done it :bulgy-eyes:? I weighed in this morning at 211 which is better than I have been in some time. I suppose keeping beer out of my fridge, in respect for my son is a good thing :thumb:

Great to hear OG! That is so true. Those empty calories can add up.

WTG OG!

way to go OG, keep it up!

Nate

My opinion, based on what time you have available, is to do morning workouts whenever possible, and the reasons are several fold.

1. It's a great feeling to be done at 6:30 and know that workout isn't waiting for you! You can do an interval type workout in 20-30 min tops, and you will make tremendous gains. I always say, you can workout long, or workout hard - very tough to do both. I find it was tough starting out, but once you get in that routine, it gets much easier, and if you mix it up a little, you may even look forward to it!

2. Several studies have shown the body tends to burn more fat doing cardio workouts in the a.m. From my own experience, I know I lost more weight in the past doing a.m cardio - particularly interval type training! If you are going to put some of your workout off until later, I would suggest that be the weight training part. Early a.m weight training can be great, but it requires more warm up time, and most people, in a rush to fit those workouts in, tend to skip on that, and that has a real good chance to lead to injuries.

Go get 'em!

Excellent advice! I completely agree with everything written here. Thanks for the thoughts BIGBALL!!

Did some Shaun T Rockin Body cardio last night, 15 minutes nothing too special but was exercise regardless

then did Insanity Day 2 today, freaking kicked my butt, I feel pretty good, managed to stay moving almost the whole time, just had about a 7-10 minute lapse or so where I was dragging and had to improvise.

Awesome to hear dude! The lapses will get shorter and shorter the longer you do it. Keep it up bro!

Insanity Day 1 was yesterday. This morning I set up the road bike in the living room on the trainer and worked my tail off. Averaged just over 20mph for 40 minutes, was soaked at the end of the workout.

Day 1 Fit Test of Insanity is in the books. Loved it. Felt like I was going to puke, but I am not weak like others, and did not vomit.

DUDE! I'm so proud of you bro! keep it up!

Insanity Day 1 was yesterday. This morning I set up the road bike in the living room on the trainer and worked my tail off. Averaged just over 20mph for 40 minutes, was soaked at the end of the workout.

How'd you feel?

Played in my first soccer game in months last night. The fact that ddec and I have been running doesn't matter it never gets you ready for game speed. Back to playing co-ed this year and already have a bruise on each leg to prove it. Love it though!! Beats the heck out of just running on a treadmill.

Insanity begins again, just finished day 1 of Cardio and Power Resistance.

Pisses me off that I got lazy and got away with it when I dropped the 40lbs. Dumb.

Great to hear Jman! awesome news buddy

yeah beags! #TeamAlbatrossFTW!

Played in my first soccer game in months last night. The fact that ddec and I have been running doesn't matter it never gets you ready for game speed. Back to playing co-ed this year and already have a bruise on each leg to prove it. Love it though!! Beats the heck out of just running on a treadmill.

YESSS!!! So glad to hear you are back playing. Competition is such a great thing and motivator!

I love working out, but getting it to be a routine is a nightmare! When I was single I was a gym rat, but now that I have a wife and a career (that sometimes requires travel) it's tough. Pretty much all of my muscle mass is gone now after 4 years of marriage and I'm getting flabby. I have got to change course, asap! My plan is to start getting up an hour early and doing morning workouts. Monday/Wednesday/Friday for weights and Tuesday/Thursday for cardio. Man oh man do I hate cardio!

Ok guys, I need some advice and am looking to you pros in here for the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm starting my MC prep workout schedule next week but the one thing that is holding me back right now is TIME. A husband and a dad I'm sure a lot of you in here can understand that. I've got some good solid workout experience in hand as I did the old Body for Life program about 9 years ago and found really good success with that. Also worked out with a personal trainer for a few years about 2 years ago. But now my schedule is a bit busier than before. I plan to hit the cardio pretty hard the first few weeks and then mix in the weight training. Will be shooting for 4-5 times a week, using the weekends for 2 workouts for sure. So the other 2-3 have to come during the week. Here is what I have available:

Mornings - Would have to get up around 5:30am to get an hour in and be done by 6:30am. I have kid duty in the mornings so would have to be showered and dressed by 7am. Issue would be waking up at 5:30am.................

Evenings - I usually get home around 6pm in time for dinner. Kiddos are in bed by 8pm. Usually watch a show with the wife till about 9pm. It would have to be a late night workout from around 9:15pm - 10:15pm. I'm not doing much during this time so being tired is usually not an issue. I worry about then getting to bed after a night workout. I think I'll be fine as I use to do this back in college with no issues but who knows.

So, I need you workout guru's thoughts on this. I think the morning would be better for the body as it would kick start it for the day but I would have more time at night and wouldn't feel rushed. Thoughts?

I like BIGBALL's thoughts as I stated before, but I prefer to workout at night personally. Always have and I don't know why. Whatever time you can make work for you is the best time to work out.
Just try to fit in the workouts whenever you can dude. That is where I am too bud. Time is precious haha

Felt awesome, WCBM. I love riding, and had gotten out of my routine. Was great to get back on the bike this morning and grind it out for a while.

This is huge for recovery too. Awesome news Cap!!

Agree 100%! That is why I played competetive basketball as long as I could. I am very competetive, and playing basketball wasn't 'working out" - just had the same benefits!

Agree 100%! That is why I played competetive basketball as long as I could. I am very competetive, and playing basketball wasn't 'working out" - just had the same benefits!

So so true. If we can find something, basketball, soccer, road races, tough man races, triathlons ANY thing that we can compete to help our motivation and enjoyment!

I like BIGBALL's thoughts as I stated before, but I prefer to workout at night personally. Always have and I don't know why. Whatever time you can make work for you is the best time to work out.
Just try to fit in the workouts whenever you can dude. That is where I am too bud. Time is precious haha

Obviously, there is no "right" time. Circadian rythyms can be different in different people, and they can change! When I was younger I would have called you nuts if you thought I was going to get up at 5 a.m to workout lol. Now, I have a hard time staying in bed past 7 a.m any day. Funny, but as I get older, I guess I have a feeling I am missing things when I do things like sleep in real late, etc. I do every once in a while when life catches up to me, but not overly often. Funny thing about fitting workouts in whenever you can... my last position before this one I ran a 1 man store from 7 - 5:30. It wasn't an overly busy store, and i used to pick up the heavy objects we sold, and do different lifts and exercises in between customers - and made some pretty good gains. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back