Recommended Rangefinder?

Scrib

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to pick one up. Any thoughts? Bushnell seems to be the popular name.

Is the slope feature a need? Not too concerned about cost. Just want to get something that works and doesn't need identifiers on the pins to work.

Better to go with something like the Bushnell v2 or step up to the Pro line?

The Bushnell V2 or the Leopold GX-1 are both great choices in the $300 range. In my experience with rangefinders, you don't get a whole lot extra the more you spend. Usually, the higher the price equals more magnification (not really needed), and a longer range available (again, not needed). I have never had the need to get a distance on anything over 300 yards, and rarley use it for anything over 225. So if a $500 rangefinder offers accuracy up to 1000 yards, it doesn't do you any good. Just make sure it has the pinseeker (both models have something similar) so you can shoot the flags without too much trouble and without a reflector.

I have never used one with the slope feature so I don't know anything about that. Seems like a nice idea, and they are accurate from what I have been told, but it goes against the rules so I have decided to just stay away from them.

No question about it, the Bushnell Tour V2. I have the Leupold GX-1 and it works just fine. But the Bushnell fits in most hands easier during our testing. I will be trading out at some point.

So there is no need to pay the extra $30 for the Pro Bushnell? The orientation of the device seems naturally better (horizontal versus vertical on the v2). I know the magnification of the Pro is better.

Any experience with either device and how it fits on the hand? I held the v2 this weekend and it was pretty hard to get steady in my hands.

Once you get used to the V2 (about 2 rounds) it is really easy to keep steady for readings. THe Pro version offers slight magnification upgrades, but is definitely two handed operation.

OK, thanks. Guess I'll go with the v2 Tour and be done! Hoping it gets here before I play on Friday. :)

Let us know your thoughts when it comes.

Late to the party, but I like the V2 as well.

Why would a golfer what a rangefinder versus a course GPS?

While I like both, and use a GPS regularly, there are a few arguments for the rangefinder. It is free after purchase. No course downloads, no yearly memberships. It can be used anywhere such as the range, etc...It is an exact measurement.

Why would a golfer what a rangefinder versus a course GPS?

I use both also. I find myself using the GPS 70-80% of the time, but when you are a short iron distance away, there is nothing like knowing exact yardage to the pin. Depending on the green, 2-3 yards can make the difference between a 10 foot putt or 30-40 foot, severe uphill or downhill putt (my home course greens have lots of tiers). While I don't claim to be able to hit it the exact distance as I intend, I do know I take a more confident swing if I know exact yardage.

Some folks like to stick with their range finders, I prefer GPS. Good luck seeing the pin on a blind tee shot, dogleg, getting yardage to the water as well as over it, etc.

Some folks like to stick with their range finders, I prefer GPS. Good luck seeing the pin on a blind tee shot, dogleg, getting yardage to the water as well as over it, etc.

And conversely, good luck getting an accurate measurement to anything not programmed into your GPS. :confused2:

Neither unit is a perfect, end all solution. I have both, and use both when needed. Don't take that to mean that I'm a slow player either. I can run over most players I know, even taking the few seconds needed to make sure I know the distance to my next target. :D

I have both, I prefer the gps.
When I bought the rangefinder, I tried many of them, ended up liking the Callaway/Nikon that sells for $300. Definitely try them in-store, see how they feel in your hands and how easily it is for you to personally hit the spot, etc.

I use both as well. Lately I have been clipping the GPS on the plastic piece that hangs down in front of the cart at the roof, that way, both people can see at a glance the yardage (as long as it's not cart path only!). I keep the rangefinder in the front of the cart, available for either person to use as necessary. I almost always hit the pin with the rangefinder on the tee or approaches and compare it to the GPS so I know if it's OK to go past and still be on the green (except in such cases where you can't see the pin of course!). The GPS is my favorite tool but the rangefinder is great to know distances that weren't mapped out, as fourputt has said.

If I had to pick one or the other, the GPS would win hands down for ease of use. But I'll keep the rangefinder too.

EDIT: Didn't really answer the question!

I've never used a Leopold.

The Bushnell that I use is a Yardage Pro 1000 that's close to ten years old and still works great. I am also on only my third battery in the thing. I have looked at the smaller versions of today (the Yardage Pro is huge in comparison, probably at least twice as big) and would love to upgrade. But since I don't have any issues with mine, I really don't have an excuse to switch! I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Bushnell rangefinder.

Last edited:
Back