The Hypothetical Question begs a question!

C-Tech

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a Skycaddie and one of my consistent playing companions has a Skycaddie and we have a 3rd playing companion who has a rangefinder.

The Rangefinder guy is achingly slow to begin with. We have tried to speed him up by giving him yardages when we get to his ball. He will STILL go get his rangefinder, dawdle around and check two or three targets before getting a club. He will then ask us again what the yardage is. At this point, I would like to strangle him, but he is related to the other guy and he might turn me in for it. I'm not sure as I think he wants to strangle him sometimes also.

Got any playing partners who are this distracting?

Another person can just about do anything they want around me. Makes no difference to me. I can play what ever game(s) the other person want to also. It's a game, it's suppose to be fun, free from worries. It's fresh air, scorching heat, 38% humidity, and all those other good things.:clapp:

I have a Skycaddie and one of my consistent playing companions has a Skycaddie and we have a 3rd playing companion who has a rangefinder.

The Rangefinder guy is achingly slow to begin with. We have tried to speed him up by giving him yardages when we get to his ball. He will STILL go get his rangefinder, dawdle around and check two or three targets before getting a club. He will then ask us again what the yardage is. At this point, I would like to strangle him, but he is related to the other guy and he might turn me in for it. I'm not sure as I think he wants to strangle him sometimes also.

Got any playing partners who are this distracting?

Yes, a couple!!!

The one that gets me the most is playing with the guy who has a GPS unit and feels obligated to tell you your yardage after you have all ready pulled your club and you are lining up your shot. Even worse when they do it while the cart is moving because you know they aren't giving you an accurate yardage. If I need a yardage I will ask!! If I have pulled a club and I am standing behind the ball I am good to go...:angry:

I used to golf with this one guy fairly frequently who I try my best to avoid these days. He is the kind of guy who treats every hole like it's number 18 at Augusta. When we walk, this guy takes friggin' forever to get to his ball. He always has to walk up the fairway 40 yards past his ball (I have no idea what this accomplishes), then he fiddles around with which club he wants to use for a few seconds. By the time he's standing over his ball waiting to hit, he waggles for about another 20 seconds. Then poses until his ball has come to a complete stop. Then he will clean off his club and replace his iron cover while the bag is still on the ground.

What's bad is his slow play isn't the main reason I refuse to play with this guy anymore. He's just an overall jerk who thinks he better than everyone else, even if he is a 20+ handicap.

I for one never use GPS yardages.I trust my range finder any day.I want to know yardage to pin,not an estimate.I've found one two many GPS on carts to be off to ever trust them again.

I for one never use GPS yardages.I trust my range finder any day.I want to know yardage to pin,not an estimate.I've found one two many GPS on carts to be off to ever trust them again.

I have both, but I only use the GPS if exact yardage isn't necessary (like a layup to a large landing area) or if the target can't be seen. The laser is far more accurate, and it's accurate every time. And it's just a s fast as the GPS... in fact with all the fiddling around on some of the newer models with cursors and multiple screens, my laser is often much faster.

In my opinion, the guy that the OP is ranting about is just one of those players who simply can't get his act together, regardless of the reason. I personally can't stand playing with someone like that. If it was me, I'd find a different playing companion if I couldn't get him straightened out.

I've played with guys who took longer to play a shot than the other 3 of us combined... they don't get invited back. :doh:

I have both and have the exact opposite thoughts as you Fourputt. I can simply look at a screen and it give me the yardages. The only time a cursor comes into play is when you are laying up to a "different spot". I love both devices, however every Rangefinder guy I know is painfully slow as they try to get distances for ever single shot.

I have both and have the exact opposite thoughts as you Fourputt. I can simply look at a screen and it give me the yardages. The only time a cursor comes into play is when you are laying up to a "different spot". I love both devices, however every Rangefinder guy I know is painfully slow as they try to get distances for ever single shot.

That is my guy! If you have 210 to the front of the green and 225 middle, why do you need to know the pin is 216? Trust me, he is not that accurate. :D Also, if you are going to lay up, do you really care if it is 185 or 187 to the tree next to your lay-up distance? Can you hit it within a yard with a 6 iron? Hilarious!

All forum golfers can hit it to within a yard CT. You should know that...hehe

All forum golfers can hit it to within a yard CT. You should know that...hehe

Oops!, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking.:laughing:

I hit within yards all the time. Upsets the homeowner though....

That is my guy! If you have 210 to the front of the green and 225 middle, why do you need to know the pin is 216? Trust me, he is not that accurate. :D Also, if you are going to lay up, do you really care if it is 185 or 187 to the tree next to your lay-up distance? Can you hit it within a yard with a 6 iron? Hilarious!

Say what you will but I find that knowing the max and/or minimum that I can hit a layup and still be safe makes me a better player. I shoot a tree at the end of the fairway that reads 200 yards and I KNOW that my 5H goes a max of 190.... I'm going to make a confident swing. If I haven't taken that sighting and all I know is that the 100 yard marker is 170 from my current location, but I'm not sure about that tree because it isn't programmed into the GPS, I'm not going to make as positive a swing. Or because of that uncertainty I'm going to take less club and leave myself a longer shot than is necessary. I'll take the 5 seconds necessary to shoot the tree with my laser and then I KNOW the right club, and I'm going to play faster in the long run because I'm not as likely to hit that shot into trouble.

I play with guys all the time who depend solely on the GPS, but still don't always have the right info because of the limitations of the unit. If a creek angles across the fairway, but the GPS only gives you a single number for it, how do you determine where the programmer put that point on the creek? This is the biggest shortcoming I've found for the GPS, and it's why I use both when the round counts for something. I like some of the features of both units, but both also have their limitations too.

I had a guy one time (who I didn't know) who spent the first 9 holes on the phone, and then when the battery died on 10 tee asked me if he could use mine.

Does that qualify as "distracting"?

I played recently and spent the entire round with a guy in our group who I had just met hitting on me. The funny thing is the other women in the group belong to a singles golf league. I tried telling him that so he would leave me alone.

I played recently and spent the entire round with a guy in our group who I had just met hitting on me. The funny thing is the other women in the group belong to a singles golf league. I tried telling him that so he would leave me alone.

You are just too cute for your own good!:banana: Try wearing dowdy looking golf attire and see if that helps.:D

Say what you will but I find that knowing the max and/or minimum that I can hit a layup and still be safe makes me a better player. I shoot a tree at the end of the fairway that reads 200 yards and I KNOW that my 5H goes a max of 190.... I'm going to make a confident swing. If I haven't taken that sighting and all I know is that the 100 yard marker is 170 from my current location, but I'm not sure about that tree because it isn't programmed into the GPS, I'm not going to make as positive a swing. Or because of that uncertainty I'm going to take less club and leave myself a longer shot than is necessary. I'll take the 5 seconds necessary to shoot the tree with my laser and then I KNOW the right club, and I'm going to play faster in the long run because I'm not as likely to hit that shot into trouble.

I play with guys all the time who depend solely on the GPS, but still don't always have the right info because of the limitations of the unit. If a creek angles across the fairway, but the GPS only gives you a single number for it, how do you determine where the programmer put that point on the creek? This is the biggest shortcoming I've found for the GPS, and it's why I use both when the round counts for something. I like some of the features of both units, but both also have their limitations too.

If I was playing for lots of money, I might do all those things you suggest, but most of the time, what I want to know is how far can I hit this without getting into trouble. If that number was 200 to the middle of the creek, I would subtract 20 yards and play the appropriate club. Knowing it was 185 to the left side of the fairway and 220 to the right side would be a moot point. I aim for the middle of the fairway with my miss to the right. That way, I am golden. No need to carry on with all those devices. I am not so precise that I really need to know to within more than 10 yards on a layup or within 5 yards on an approach.

I hate it when that happens! :banghead:

Back