Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fivesomes. Even worse, two in a row in front of you. Even worse, they were sent out that way.

I went to dinner last night with my wife and a close friend of ours. We chose Landry's Seafood House a nice white linens establishment on Kemah boardwalk near our home. We were enjoying a great conversation and a wonderful meal when a family was seated near us with 4 young children who had clearly never been taught how to act in public!! Next thing you know kids are screaming and running around the restaurant!! I understand that they had the right to dine there just as we did, however if you have children that can't behave they don't belong in such an establishment. I don’t know how the parents could just sit there and not try to correct the behavior at all.

The second part of my rant is..... If you take children to a seafood house would you encourage them to try shrimp, crab, and fish whatever it may be or just limit them to the kids menu of corndogs, pizza, and chicken nuggets?? Growing up my mom encouraged me to eat whatever I wanted as long as I ate it. The family was so loud that you could hear them strike down the children’s request to share fried shrimp and to get a pizza or something off the kids menu. I was completely annoyed by the time that our dessert course arrived it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it could have been because it felt as if we were in Chuck E Cheese rather than a nice restaurant.

One of my pet peeves. I raised 4 children and from when they were little, we could take them anywhere to eat. They knew how to behave and they understood the consequences of poor behavior. It is not that hard to instill in your kids if you are consistent.

A friend of mine was in a restaurant where a 4 year old was running around stealing the salt and pepper shakers off other patrons tables while the parents totally ignored the kid. The kid comes over and reaches for my friend's shakers and he grabs the kid's arm and says VERY LOUDLY, "Son, if you touch anything on my table, I am whipping your Daddy's butt right here."

"Dad" got up and corralled the kid. No more problem for the rest of the meal. People stopped at his table on the way out and thanked him for his help.

Probably shouldn't have touched the kid though.

Probably shouldn't have touched the kid though.

I believe that kind of thinking is partially responsible for the mess we seem to be in now. The kid deserved to be stopped from doing something wrong. When I was a kid if I were at a buddy's house and his Mom caught us doing something wrong, my parents would have been upset if she HADN'T smacked us if we deserved it. Now, everyone is afraid of being sued by some crazy parent. Well, they'll just have to sue me. I am not going to change to suit them.

I don't agree C-Tech - you shouldn't touch a child. Your friend could have made his point without touching the child.

I don't agree C-Tech - you shouldn't touch a child. Your friend could have made his point without touching the child.

The kid would've just kept running and grabbed it off the next table?

The kid would've just kept running and grabbed it off the next table?

Floppy - Is that the voice of experience speaking? :wink:

hehe, just from what I've seen. :D

Well - you are closer to that age than I am. If someone grabbed your arm - would your parents be ok with that?

I think the problem with this situation is that a majority of parents that would have been “outraged” by someone touching their child are the same people who let their children act inappropriately. Instead of blaming the person who put a stop to the nonsense let’s blame the parents who put their children in that situation by not disciplining their kids and teaching them manners.

Well - you are closer to that age than I am. If someone grabbed your arm - would your parents be ok with that?

I'd knock the guy out. :D

I was referring to kids around 4-7 years old.

If a kid was going to all the tables grabbing stuff off and the parents didn't stop it, who cares if they are all right with it? Someone's gotta do it. I think the person in C-Tech's example did the right thing.

Discipline your kids or don't wonder why other people stop them from invading their space.

The kid comes over and reaches for my friend's shakers and he grabs the kid's arm and says VERY LOUDLY, "Son, if you touch anything on my table, I am whipping your Daddy's butt right here."

That is a great story. I dont think I would have the balls to do that.

I am glad to see that others feel the same as I do!! I was afraid since nobody replied that I had offended people!! C-Tech that was a great story!! I am glad that there are more people in the world who aren't afraid of standing up to take action!!

People don't discipline their kids at all. I was teaching little girls ballet (the WORST job in the world, these moms are my age and don't do jack as far as raising their kids to have manners). One girl would never pay any attention in class, run around, hide, dig through my purse and props, etc. I told my boss, she gave me a chart to give gold stars and a treasure chest to earn a treasure out of, at the end of each class. Every girl got gold star stickers at the end of every week. My boss talked to this girl's mom, whatever.

Well, this little hellion girl, after threatening numerous times, I finally gave her a sticker but said she'd have to pay attention better to earn a treasure next week. She went home and cried to her mom she didn't get a treasure, then told her it was because she "wasn't a good enough dancer." The mom called my boss to have me fired. My boss called me to straighten out the story within hours.

My boss believed me, but the fact she was even called, and the fact that she believed the mom enough to call me, was all just bull.

I can't believe people think "Time Out" works as a discipline tool. The sad thing is that it started with people around my age! Bottoms are padded for a reason! We used to get swats in Junior High School and the teachers would gather around to watch! Of course, so did as many students as possible!

I'm a teacher and believe every bit of what you are saying Julie, it is unreal I have dealt with similar situations with HS students. Time out is a joke Smallie I agree. is it sad that a 23yr old with no children has child misbehavior as one of his #1 pet peeves?????

People don't discipline their kids at all. I was teaching little girls ballet (the WORST job in the world, these moms are my age and don't do jack as far as raising their kids to have manners). One girl would never pay any attention in class, run around, hide, dig through my purse and props, etc. I told my boss, she gave me a chart to give gold stars and a treasure chest to earn a treasure out of, at the end of each class. Every girl got gold star stickers at the end of every week. My boss talked to this girl's mom, whatever.

Well, this little hellion girl, after threatening numerous times, I finally gave her a sticker but said she'd have to pay attention better to earn a treasure next week. She went home and cried to her mom she didn't get a treasure, then told her it was because she "wasn't a good enough dancer." The mom called my boss to have me fired. My boss called me to straighten out the story within hours.

My boss believed me, but the fact she was even called, and the fact that she believed the mom enough to call me, was all just bull.

We have a Sporting Goods dept. at work and these parents bring their kids in and the kids act like it is Christmas and everything is thiers. Trying on all the equipment, pulling merchandise off the shelves and leaving it on the floor, clanging together $400 bats and running around like they are at a playground. It gets me thinking back to my youth and how if I even attempted to pull something like that my parents would snatch me up and embarass the carp out of me in front of everyone. This type of discipline does wonders for developing children in to responsible members of society and is a lost art in a world of political correctness.

It gets me thinking back to my youth and how if I even attempted to pull something like that my parents would snatch me up and embarass the carp out of me in front of everyone. This type of discipline does wonders for developing children in to responsible members of society and is a lost art in a world of political correctness.

My dad took us to the back room and dealt with us (a whallop across the bottom). We came back and never made a peep. These people who sit in restaurants and stores and let their kids go nuts ruin every one else's experience.

A kid at a golf store I was in once felt a cool place to practice putting was in the driving range, while his "father" sampled the latest Callaways. I about lost it...I stared at him so hard he dropped the club, grabbed the toddler and left.

I got a warning from the city for watering my yard on a non watering day.:at-wits-end: Sounds like the neighbor ratted me out. The next time is a fine, the funny thing is my sprinklers have been set correctly for this whole stupid deal. We need to start a " I have the dam right to water my lawn thread".

I can't believe people think "Time Out" works as a discipline tool. The sad thing is that it started with people around my age! Bottoms are padded for a reason! We used to get swats in Junior High School and the teachers would gather around to watch! Of course, so did as many students as possible!

Had a Sister-In-Law once who believed in that load of hooey. My wife asked if she could stay with us for a few days when she was in the area to visit. I said sure, but you need to tell her that if her children misbehave in my house, either she will spank them, or I will. No argument, my house-my rules. If she doesn't like it, don't come.

She didn't come. I am sure I will read about one of them in the papers some day....serial killers always grab the headlines.

I raised 4 kids. I was outnumbered. Someone had to be in charge and, as the oldest, I appointed myself boss. I made them understand as early as I could that this was the situation they found themselves in. I also made them understand that I would be consistent and would always enforce the rules. I also made them aware that there were sure and swift consequences to breaking the rules. I wasn't cruel or unreasonable, I just expected them to act like human beings and do as they were told.

They knew I was going to have my way, after all, I was the boss. It was merely a matter of how much pain they were willing to endure before they behaved. You know, they all turned out to be decent human beings, don't hate me, and have actually told me I was tough but fair. They have also said that a lot of times I was a perfect excuse to keep them from doing things their buddies wanted them to do.

I don't understand how being excessively permissive can possibly be good for kids. How will they ever learn how to deal with the rules society places on them if they cannot be taught to live with them at home. If no one teaches them how to properly behave, how could they know anyone cares about them? Parenthood is a responsibility to your kids and to your society at large. There may be a reason so many kids are getting into trouble....it could have started at home when they were little.

Enough soapbox for me...I just feel strongly about this.

Man When I was Little if I laughed or cried I got a worse beating the belt came out, and man don't ever let your great grandma pull a "switch" off a tree those were the worst I had cuts on my legs opened up from one of those, cant tell you how many woden spoons were broken over my butt discipline is gone nowadays, not the kind of stuff that happened to me mind you but a good swift paddling on the rearend I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back