Difference between hybrids.....

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
I noticed on line that some are 4H 3H 5, what are the differences between these clubs. I also heard that some people use the hybrids to replace their 3 and 4 irons any truth to that?

I noticed on line that some are 4H 3H 5, what are the differences between these clubs. I also heard that some people use the hybrids to replace their 3 and 4 irons any truth to that?

3h would replace a 3 iron, 4h would replace a 4 iron, etc, etc. The differences are just in the lofts they come in, like your irons and woods.

I put a 3 hybrid in the bag instead of a 3 iron. I think I hit the 3H better than I ever would an iron.

Yes, but typically a 3 hybrid will fly longer than counterpart 3 iron, and so forth. ALmost all have graphite shafts and are longer than the iron. I love hyrbids!

Actually Scooter that is not always the case. The idea for the hybrid (developed by TM) was to take the thought behind a fairway wood, shrink it down and put a shaft length comparable to an iron in it to have a "hybrid" between a fairway wood and irons. In reality what it came to was that most players were replacing their 3 and 4 iron with 3 and 4 hybrids or close to comparable lofts.

Many hybrids nowadays have shaft lengths very similar to the iron length of their same value.

Actually Scooter that is not always the case. The idea for the hybrid (developed by TM) was to take the thought behind a fairway wood, shrink it down and put a shaft length comparable to an iron in it to have a "hybrid" between a fairway wood and irons. In reality what it came to was that most players were replacing their 3 and 4 iron with 3 and 4 hybrids or close to comparable lofts.

Many hybrids nowadays have shaft lengths very similar to the iron length of their same value.

So if that's the case then what makes the hybrid better than an iron, is it just clubhead size, bigger sweetspot?

I think Scooter is kinda right though JB, give most amatuers a 3 iron and a 3 hybrid and just about all of them will hit a hybrid higher and further due to a lower CG, plus the fact that they are easier to hit!! If people could consistantly hit their irons they might not see a difference between the two. But a lot of ams have problems hitting a long irons

I know that's why I hit hybrids, because they are easier to hit and I hit them farther, better and more consistently.

So if that's the case then what makes the hybrid better than an iron, is it just clubhead size, bigger sweetspot?

One is not better than the other. Just many find them easier to hit.

I think Scooter is kinda right though JB, give most amatuers a 3 iron and a 3 hybrid and just about all of them will hit a hybrid higher and further due to a lower CG, plus the fact that they are easier to hit!! If people could consistantly hit their irons they might not see a difference between the two. But a lot of ams have problems hitting a long irons

I was speaking about the shaft length thing CM, not the distance.

Hybrids are soooooo much easier to hit than an iron, it's not even funny (especially out of the rough). I carry a 4 and a 3 hybrid all the time, and I have a 2 that I fiddle around with. I'm contemplating a 5 for when my 5 iron decides to act up.

I got my first hybrid in 2003 or 4, played it until last year when I got my G10 hybrids, which I absolutely love. I didn't even order any irons longer than a 5 in my current set because of them (see sig)

Go hit some, you'll see.

Hybrids are soooooo much easier to hit than an iron, it's not even funny (especially out of the rough). I carry a 4 and a 3 hybrid all the time, and I have a 2 that I fiddle around with. I'm contemplating a 5 for when my 5 iron decides to act up.

I got my first hybrid in 2003 or 4, played it until last year when I got my G10 hybrids, which I absolutely love. I didn't even order any irons longer than a 5 in my current set because of them (see sig)

Go hit some, you'll see.

This conversation is already convincing me. The problem is I live about 2 hours from any kind of civilization. I live in the mojave desert because of work. So I would not be able to try these without ordering them. Where is a good place to start when it comes to hybrids as far as brand?

I'd wait for the hybrid shootout that is coming up shortly. There will be lots of good information after that.

EDIT: Yep, what JB said!

Start right here and you may have your answer by next week...hehe
Our hybrid shoot out started today.

Official Hybrid Shoot Out Thread - The Hackers Paradise

Will do thanks a lot, damn i love this site.........:clapp: JB are you the only moderator because I think your the only one so far that has answered any one of my questions, and one more question what do you do for a living because your on here more then I can tolerate ;):alien2:

I tried.

We have 4 mods total. Myself, GG, Craig Mac, and Forecaddie. Hacker is more of a SUPER MOD, as he is all knowing and has special powers.

As for what I do, the answer is "Ruin peoples days by posting too much on THP"

LOL, I'm late to the party on this one, and Scooter, JB, Craig, Smallville, Gummi, etc, already answered the questions! So....I'll agree what they said and say that hybrids are definitely much easier to hit than a long iron, and wait for the Hybrid Shootout results it should help you decide!

I love my hybrids. I carry a 2H and 4H. I still carry a 4i as well; the 4H replaces a 3i as I hit it further than my 4i. The 4H has a longer shaft than the 4i, but I don't know whether the lofts match up. Differences that may explain the fact that the 4H didn't replace a 4i may include the longer, graphite shaft (irons are steel) and different brands.

Choosing a hybrid usually boils down to personal preference, but I doubt that you will be disappointed with whatever you get as they are all a lot easier to hit :)blob:) than an equivalent long iron :)banghead:).

I love my hybrids. I carry a 2H and 4H. I still carry a 4i as well; the 4H replaces a 3i as I hit it further than my 4i. The 4H has a longer shaft than the 4i, but I don't know whether the lofts match up. Differences that may explain the fact that the 4H didn't replace a 4i may include the longer, graphite shaft (irons are steel) and different brands.

Choosing a hybrid usually boils down to personal preference, but I doubt that you will be disappointed with whatever you get as they are all a lot easier to hit :)blob:) than an equivalent long iron :)banghead:).

What the heck is the difference between the H and I models?

To confuse you even more--because they ARE hybrids, they also replace higher lofted fairway woods. Granted, many guys don't carry any wood higher than a 5. I think that's equivalent to a 2H. Then it would go:

7W = 3H
9W = 4H

and so on. With different manufacturers setting it up a little differently, just to make things fun.

All this hybrid talk has me anxious for the shoot out!! Just got my Nickent 5DX today! woooo

All this hybrid talk has me anxious for the shoot out!! Just got my Nickent 5DX today! woooo

How do you enjoy it so far? Also when in the hell is the shootout going to be over?:confused2:

How do you enjoy it so far? Also when in the hell is the shootout going to be over?:confused2:

I literally just got it in the mail today so I barely ripped off the plastic. And its nasty out here so I wont be able to hit it just yet! sure looks good lol

In about a week. It is a lot of work getting 18 people to hit 20 clubs each.

Back