Is my ball exacerbating my slice?

Nasty_Nati

Reaction score
I recently switched from the Nike PD Soft to the Titleist NXT Tour golf balls. Around almost the exact same time my manageable slice doubled or tripled and now i can almost not play any woods off the tee.

I don't have a perfect swing but is the new ball making my slice a lot worse? At this point i am ready to switch back just for confidence sake.

I guess my real question is does the Titleist ball have so much more side spin from it's design to make my already bad swing unplayable?

I wouldn't think so, but why don't you play with the old ball for a round or two and see if it brings it back under control?

Welcome to THP.

I think NXT Tour, being a slightly spinnier balil could be causing some more enhancements to the slice. But not enough to see dramatic things change. To do a comparison, hit both balls and see what the results end up being. Most people do not realize switching to a "spinnier" ball, can and usually will increase side spin if you produce any off the tee. There are exceptions such as the B330RX and others. I suggest you try a side spin reducing ball like the Bridgestone E6+. It works great at keeping the ball straight off the tee. Or see if there is a ball fitting in your area. Many companies do them, and I know Bridgestone does them free all over the country. Being that they are headed there for the WGC, I bet they are going to be in your area.

And again, welcome to THP.
Can you send me some Goldstar? just kidding.

My next step was to try both balls side by side. The reason i asked first is because i didn't want my result to be affected by a change in focus. I will try the Bridgestone E6+ tomorrow I think.

I had skyline Monday for lunch. So good. :banana:

My next step was to try both balls side by side. The reason i asked first is because i didn't want my result to be affected by a change in focus. I will try the Bridgestone E6+ tomorrow I think.

I had skyline Monday for lunch. So good. :banana:

Try the Bridgestone TreoSoft as well. It controlled sidespin even moreso than the E6+ when I went to the Bridgestone Ball Fitting. It's a 2 piece ball, but IMO still has a great feel, and fantastic distance. Price is slightly less than the E6+, but comparable.

Try the Bridgestone TreoSoft as well. It controlled sidespin even moreso than the E6+ when I went to the Bridgestone Ball Fitting. It's a 2 piece ball, but IMO still has a great feel, and fantastic distance. Price is slightly less than the E6+, but comparable.

I like low cost. I love the feel of the NXT Tour and my short game has never been better but my rounds are costing me a fortune with lost balls and strokes from wicked slices.

I like the NXT Tour as well, but I get better control with both of the Bridgestone balls. That could just be perceived, however. I do like the Bridgestone products. :D

yes a ball can affect it that much.

I bought some Srixon AD333's for the winter season. Didnt even get half way through and have sold the rest. What was a minimal (and i mean minimal - less than 5 yards) fade became a slice of horrendous proportions. Guess i just had the precise wrong swing characteristics for it!

disappeared the second i switched back.

Nasty,

I used the NXT Tour's for a while, but had the same enhanced slice issues you mention (also they seemed to get torn to shreads).

I use the E6+ primarily now and love it.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try the E6+ and see how it does.

Bridgestone seems to be more popular here then anywhere else. Any reason? THP servers hosted on Bridgestone servers? :act-up:

Last edited:
I'll stay with one ball for a while, then I will see something on clearance, and play that ball for a while till I run out. Now my favorite ball is a "Volvik" when I can find it. I just feel comfortable playing it. Problem is, few places around here sell it, and I am too lazy to drive across town to the pro shop that will most likely be out of business next month anyways. I always tell myself to order them, but I always seem to find another bargained priced ball which will cancell out the need to order. So, with all these different balls I will try over a few month period, I always seem to have the same ball flight as far as accuracy is concerned. Some might fly a few yards farther than others, but they all look the same in the air. All a ball does when hit is what the impact, and separation from the club face tells it to do. jmho....:comp:

Bridgestone seems to be more pupolar here then anywhere else. Any reason? THP servers hosted on Bridgestone servers? :act-up:

Haha, its just that good of a ball.:act-up: I was using the e6 long before THP. Welcome aboard.

Bridgestone seems to be more popular here then anywhere else. Any reason?

I'm just speculating here, but my guess would be that, as a whole, members here are not particularly impressed by brand names, not are most of us interested in impressing other people with what we use. Oh sure, we all have different tastes and we all drool over new, pretty, shiny clubs. But you won't find a whole lot of "internet yardage" or vanity handicap claims here. Frankly, not many of us care if people know we struggle with our swings and our scoring.

So when someone here has a good experience with a product, most of use are willing to give it a try. Especially something as easy as trying out a ball. That's kind of what happened with the e6+ I think.

Bridgestone seems to be more popular here then anywhere else. Any reason? THP servers hosted on Bridgestone servers? :act-up:

i actually dont play the bridgestone balls.

However, i appreciate the effort they put into the customer. Ball fitting for free....with free demos. That says 2 things:

1) customer focussed (otherwise they would charge...after all, they employ someone to do it and invest in the launch moniters etc...)
2) Confident in their product.

They also have a presence on this very forum. Summit else you dont get from all the other ball makers.

I will be interested to attend another ball fitting when it comes round. I will probably try the B330-s at some point. I currently choose to game the Tour i (callaway)....or other premium balls i find for free.

You may want to try the Top-Flite D2 straight....really cheap 15 balls for $15. I was surprised by this ball!

I wish they were paying us. The only thing they have done is have an amazing contest giving away a VIP trip to the WGC for THP readers. They just make a great product and I think Harry said it all.

Yeah, I would agree with what Harry said as well. I'd never used a Bridgestone ball prior to this year, and had figured I'd gravitate towards one of the Titleist balls when I re-found the sport in January. After hearing great things about the Bridgestone e7+ I gave it a try and have been very impressed.

You'll also find several people here that are big fans of the Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star X balls. Another great company that makes some great golfballs!

I'm just speculating here, but my guess would be that, as a whole, members here are not particularly impressed by brand names, not are most of us interested in impressing other people with what we use. Oh sure, we all have different tastes and we all drool over new, pretty, shiny clubs. But you won't find a whole lot of "internet yardage" or vanity handicap claims here. Frankly, not many of us care if people know we struggle with our swings and our scoring.

So when someone here has a good experience with a product, most of use are willing to give it a try. Especially something as easy as trying out a ball. That's kind of what happened with the e6+ I think.

:clapp::clapp:

I have a slice that pops at least once every round too, and just bought some of the new Callaway Big Bertha Diablo balls that claim to reduce driver spin, thereby lessening slicing. I haven't tried these out yet, but does anyone have any experience with these? How do they compare to the Bridgestone E6+ (which I now have to try now, based on some of the posts here)?

I have tried them out quite a bit. Decent distance ball. I did not see much slice reducing from there like I saw with the E6+ and a few others though.

I'm not sure how much more spin the NXT has than the PD Soft, but it definitely has more. And depending on what degree of a slice you started out with, it could surely exacerbate it.

I have tried them out quite a bit. Decent distance ball. I did not see much slice reducing from there like I saw with the E6+ and a few others though.

Thanks JB. Too bad I've already put my personal mark on the BBs, or I'd return them. I'll try out a sleeve of the E6+ and play it side by side with the BBs when I start using them.

Cool. Let us know your thoughts when you do the testing.

Since joining up here at THP JB and others have converted me to Bridgestones! JB should get royalities for sure! lol. A couple of weeks ago I tried the e6+ and wow what a great ball! It actually does what it says. I was SOOOO mad when I did a quick 9-hole round with no warm up or putting, just ran right out there and lost my last sleeve of e6's. I was almost converted to the new TM balls when I tried the Bridgestones but Im sold. I might give the e7's a try since Ive been fighting the ballooning ball syndrome lately. Heck with fixing my swing, right? lol.

Back