Woods Needs to Clean Up His Act - by Rick Reilly

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
"Tiger Woods has outgrown those Urkel glasses he had as a kid. Outgrown the crazy hair. Outgrown a body that was mostly neck.

When will he outgrow his temper?

The man is 33 years old, married, the father of two. He is paid nearly $100 million a year to be the representative for some monstrously huge companies, from Nike to Accenture. He is the world's most famous and beloved athlete.

And yet he spent most of his two days at Turnberry last week doing the Turn and Bury. He'd hit a bad shot, turn and bury his club into the ground in a fit. It was two days of Tiger Tantrums -- slamming his club, throwing his club and cursing his club. In front of a worldwide audience.

A whole lot of that worldwide audience is kids. They do what Tiger does. They swing like Tiger, read putts like Tiger and do the celebration biceps pump like Tiger. Do you think for two seconds they don't think it's cool to throw their clubs like Tiger, too?

He's grown in every other way. He's committed, responsible, smart, funny and the most talented golfer in history. I just thought we'd be over the conniptions by now.

If there were no six-second delay, Tiger Woods would be the reason to invent it. Every network has been burned by having the on-course microphone open when he blocks one right into the cabbage and starts with the F-bombs. Once, at Doral, he unleashed a string of swear words at a photographer that would've made Artie Lange blush, and then snarled, "'The next time a photographer shoots a [expletive] picture, I'm going to break his [expletive] neck!"

He's grown in every other way. He's committed, responsible, smart, funny, and the most talented golfer in history. I just thought we'd be over the conniptions by now.

It's disrespectful to the game, disrespectful to those he plays with and disrespectful to the great players who built the game before him. Ever remember Jack Nicklaus doing it? Arnold Palmer? When Tom Watson was getting guillotined in that playoff to Stewart Cink, did you see him so much as spit? Only one great player ever threw clubs as a pro -- Bobby Jones -- and he stopped in his 20s when he realized how spoiled he looked.

This isn't new. Woods has been this way for years: swearing like a Hooters' bouncer, trying to bury the bottom of his driver into the tee box, flipping his club end over end the second he realizes his shot is way offline.

I can still remember the 1997 Masters -- arguably the most important golf tournament ever played. Woods, then 21, was playing the 15th hole on Sunday. He had just hit a fairway wood out of the rough and was watching it. A young boy came up from behind just to touch him -- just to pat the back of this amazing new superhero. That's when Tiger pulled the club way back over his head and slammed it down, nearly braining the kid he couldn't see behind him. And this was with a huge lead.

Look, in every other case, I think Tiger Woods has been an A-plus role model. Never shows up in the back of a squad car with a black eye. Never gets busted in a sleazy motel with three "freelance models." Never gets so much as a parking ticket. But this punk act on the golf course has got to stop. If it were my son, I'd tell him the same thing: "Either behave or get off the course."

Come to think of it, if I were the president of Nike, I'd tell him the same thing.

Put it this way: Will Tiger let his own two kids carry on in public like that?

I know what you're saying. We see more Tiger tantrums because TV shows every single shot he hits. And I'm telling you: You're wrong. He is one of the few on Tour who do it. And I keep wondering when PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem is going to have the cojones to publicly upbraid him for it.

Golf is a gentlemen's game. Stomping and swearing and carrying on like a Beverly Hills tennis brat might fly in the NBA or in baseball or in football, where less is expected, but golf demands manners. It's your honor. Is my mark in your way? No, I had 6, not 5. Golfers call penalties on themselves. We are our own police. Tiger, police yourself.

Tiger does a boatload of work for kids. He raises millions for his Tiger Woods Learning Center, which has helped teach thousands. But teaching goes the wrong way, too. Tiger is teaching them that if he can be a hissy hothead on the course, they can, too.

I remember Tiger's dad, Earl, telling a story. One day, when Tiger was just a kid, he was throwing his clubs around in a fuming fit when his dad said something like "Tiger, golf is supposed to be fun." And Tiger said, "Daddy, I want to win. That's how I have fun."

Well, it's not fun to watch."

Coming from a writer that has made his career out of making fun of people and throwing tantrums when he doesnt get his way.

Coming from a writer that has made his career out of making fun of people and throwing tantrums when he doesnt get his way.

JB, I don’t disagree with your assessment. However, I am going to separate the message from the messenger and agree with the message.

I do get disappointed in Woods’ temper tantrums. Have I cursed on the course? Yes. Have I slammed a club on the ground? Yes. I could go on and on. That being said I try my best to curtail those habits because it isn't the image I want to project plus I think the game deserves more respect than those actions give it. I am not a Tiger hater by any stretch of the imagination. I think he is great for the game and has done some wonderful things with his celebrity status. In the end though, I do wish he could change this one item to take him to an even higher level of both golfer and human being.

I dont disagree at all. My issue has always been the same. Where are all these people burying Paula Creamer and Morgan Pressel and Christie Kerr for their temper tamtrums? Instead we have announcers like Judy Rankin making excuses with how they are "emotional".

I dont disagree at all. My issue has always been the same. Where are all these people burying Paula Creamer and Morgan Pressel for their temper tamtrums?

I think the difference is Tiger Woods is such an icon that transcends the sport of golf. Most people don’t even know who Creamer or Pressel are or what they do. As far as I am concerned however, I think the same applies to those two as well. I would not like my daughter when she gets old enough to watch golf to see that sort of behavior. It simply isn’t good for the game at any level but especially not at the professional level.

Someone would actually have to be watching the LPGA to complain. :sad:

I've noticed that Kerr's tantrums have been significantly less frequent this year. Paula Creamer has hers, but they aren't nearly as frequent as Tiger's. In fact, I can't recall a big one since Half Moon Bay last year.

Pressel doesn't curse, but she does pout and occasionally slam her club (for which I've also seen her apologize.)

Frankly, as long as their behavior is suitable for children to see, I don't mind. Tiger is by far the worst offender in that area. He knows he gets special treatment (i.e., no retribution from Finchem or his sponsors).

I think the difference is Tiger Woods is such an icon that transcends the sport of golf.

Tiger didn't ask to be an icon or a role model. I don't think anyone can expect or even ask him to change his behavior because of people's expections of how a role model should behave.

Tiger didn't ask to be an icon or a role model. I don't think anyone can expect or even ask him to change his behavior because of people's expections of how a role model should behave.

Tiger is a professional athlete. It kinda comes with the territory. Along with many of the things they complain about that your or I take for granted.

Someone would actually have to be watching the LPGA to complain. :sad:

I've noticed that Kerr's tantrums have been significantly less frequent this year. Paula Creamer has hers, but they aren't nearly as frequent as Tiger's. In fact, I can't recall a big one since Half Moon Bay last year.

Pressel doesn't curse, but she does pout and occasionally slam her club (for which I've also seen her apologize.)

Frankly, as long as their behavior is suitable for children to see, I don't mind. Tiger is by far the worst offender in that area. He knows he gets special treatment (i.e., no retribution from Finchem or his sponsors).

Apparently you did not see the final round of the last major and see Kerr screaming and slamming her club every shot. Creamer pouts and cries and swears all the time. And Pressel does not curse but she slams her clubs and whines entire rounds.

Woods is bad at it. However I think more of it has to do with the fact that the camera is on him for every shot. While at tournies you should see the stuff we see with throwing clubs, but it is not necessarily shown on TV because it is not news. Woods is news all the time. We even see it from the "nice guys" but it never gets shown.

People will not agree with me but I don’t think you can really separate professional athlete (especially when you are at Tiger’s status) and role model. They go hand in hand and are simply part of the job.

People will not agree with me but I don’t think you can really separate professional athlete (especially when you are at Tiger’s status) and role model. They go hand in hand and are simply part of the job.

I agree with that 100%. But as far as icon like professional athletes go, he is pretty good. See Kobe Bryant, Michael Vick, etc...

I agree with that 100%. But as far as icon like professional athletes go, he is pretty good. See Kobe Bryant, Michael Vick, etc...

For sure! I guess I just expect more out of golfers than other athletes because of its history as being a gentleman’s and gentlewoman’s game.

I totally agree.

The other point in the article is that he does have kids. He's their role model too. This part goes beyond Tiger, but having kids cleaned up my never-particularly-dirty mouth. Unless he wants his own children to act and talk like he does (and they will!) right now, he needs to change.

I agree with Reilly and agree with Hacker on all his points. I am a huge Tiger fan. But this is the one thing about Tiger that I would change. As a superstar, he has a responsibility to his fans, many of them very young and impressionable.

JB, it may be that some of the LPGA players are just as bad or worse. And that some of the lesser-televised PGA players are similar. I've certainly seen it, and I think lesser of any player that exhibits this type of behavior. My answer to that would be they should all show more maturity. But the fact that writers don't single them out like they do with Tiger doesn't make Tiger's behavior acceptable.

I agree and dont care for it either. But show me an athlete that does not complain and I will show you an athlete that does not care enough about winning. Look around at the best players in every sport. They are ALL like that except Roger Federer.

Tiger is so good at what he does, when a journalist can find fault with him, they go berserk reporting it. The days of good, informative, journalistic reporting is over for most of those who write stuff for us to read.

As for the article, I agree with it, but I also figure nothing is going to change Tiger's temper. What's Nike going to do fire him? Don't think so. PGA going to suspend him? Nope, not that either. It's an old story who's legs fell off a long time ago. :comp:

While I believe Tiger's fame is part of his job, it is more the job of the parents to make sure their kids know that throwing a temper tantrum is not acceptable.

Parents, stop blaming athletes for your short-comings as parents. It's rather pathetic.

I agree and dont care for it either. But show me an athlete that does not complain and I will show you an athlete that does not care enough about winning. Look around at the best players in every sport. They are ALL like that except Roger Federer.

In my mind, there is a big difference between complaining and losing your temper and control, which in my mind is what is happening if you are throwing out F-bombs and slamming or throwing clubs . Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Magic all complain(ed); Rasheed Wallace and Ron Artest throw temper tantrums. Agassi complained (actually Agassi is a perfect example of someone who matured over time); McEnroe threw tantrums. Nicklaus and Palmer complained; Tiger, I expect he will mature like Agassi did, but I would have expected it to have happened by now.

Being a role model combines a lot of what you do off the court or field as well, and what Tiger does is admirable. I have said many times I do not condone what he does. But if you watched the NBA like I did in tehe 80s and 90s, all of those players you mentioned dropped F-bombs. Heck Agassi was the poster child for anti-establishment when he came up. He sported the Jorts and long hair.

Tiger signed up for the role model gig when he signed on the dotted line with Nike before he ever hit a shot as a pro. I don't like the way he acts but as others have said he certainly is not alone. But nobody else pockets the endorsement money he does either so I hold him to a higher standard. Once his kids are old enough to understand and question him, or better yet throw an F-bomb when things aren't going their way with the leggos or video game("but daddy says it") he might change his ways. We'll see.

Tiger signed up for the role model gig when he signed on the dotted line with Nike before he ever hit a shot as a pro.

Unless Nike included a clause about behavior, I don't agree. I think the public has a certain expectation of athletes, actors, musicians, but it's really up to the person if they want to adhere to that.

Diane,
That is a great point. Charles Barkley is a lovable character right now. But his days in the NBA were filled with almost the exact same behavior as Tiger. And he even went as far as getting in trouble off the court quite a bit.

I have never read anything about bad behavior from Tiger off the course. Even when he was single - he was never a womanizing party guy. I think everything that is good about Tiger outweighs throwing a club or swearing a bit. He's human, under a microscope and expects a lot from himself.

I enjoy his temper tantrums. IMO it highlights the frustrations that we all go through playing this illusive game. When I see the best player in the world frustrated beyond control it makes me feel that I shouldn't get so worked up over a game that's "here one minute then gone the next." Tiger's a human being whose values and behavior are what they are. He's not going to change. I consider it a privilege to be able to watch him under any circumstance.

Back