Distance vs. Control

Diane

Reaction score
The course I play at most frequently is an older very tight muni. The joke is that you should wear a helmet when you play there. I think it's because a lot of people swing 100% plus when using their driver thinking they need to kill the ball because they all want bragging rights on how far they went. I'm curious - what is your goal when you step up to the tee - are you seeking distance at any cost or are you swinging at 70% to keep control? How important is that fairway to you?

It is all about control for me all the time. I am not a long ball hitter, and have come to learn that with the exception of a few, I am the only guy on the internet that does not hit it 290+ off the tee. So for me, it has come to be about control off the tee to that comfortable 240-250 spot. The course I play is extremely tight with hazzards on both sides of narrow fairways on almost every hole. One bad tee shot and you can have a blow up hole.

Good topic Diane, because we have an article coming up next week that we speak of this very thing in comparing two drivers.

I'll be the first to admit, I love the "bragging rights" of getting the longest drive off the tee. But if I were able to control the direction the ball was going better I would trade it in a second. 240 down the middle beats the hell out of 265 and either sliced right or pulled left into the trees!

I think control is extremely important. I just my my burners cut down (too long to begin with) and i have much more control now.

I'm not a long hitter either, and I'd much rather be in the fairway with a good look, than in the rough 30 yards further down and scrambling to get out.

For me it depends on many factors. The main thing is the hole layout. If a hole is 340 yards it is stupid for me to hit a driver and risk the trouble to be inside of 75 yards when hitting an iron or hybrid will still give me a wedge to the green. The other factor is how I have been hitting the driver. There are those days when it just doesn't want to work so I keep it in the bag. If there is no penalty trouble (OB, water, hazards, etc.) I am pretty much a grip-and-rip guy. If I happen to play out of the rough, that is fine, I'll be closer. I know I won't lose a ball or have to take a penalty. On the other hand, a tight hole with hazards or OB or a bunch of trees, I have no problems hitting an 3-wood/hybrid/iron off the tee to keep in play. I am long enough that hitting a hybrid off the tee won't put me at a huge disadvantage on the hole.

My goal on the tee is to keep the ball in play. I score so much better when I do that. Although on some holes, I want to hit it as far as I can to put myself in a better position. Sometimes a 3/4 driver will do the trick, other times a 4-iron is fine. It just depends on the current situation and how long the hole is. If a hole is over 400, I will usually take my chances with the driver.

Last edited:
I'm about control off the tee and I've been sticking with my G2 without upgrading because I'm basically tired of looking for others balls.

I usually play with 3 guys who look like they are launching scud missiles and they go all over. I spend my money on irons, wedges and beer because 240 in the middle of every fairway is great for me.

Saves money on golf balls too!

I'd rather hit the fairway.Usually if I try to crush it I'll slice and end up in trouble.Keeping the ball in the short stuff is the goal I set and that doesn't happen if I try to power the driver.

Fairway usually better

Fairway usually better

I'm not a long hitter either. 235-240 is a real good, controlled distance for me and will get me somewhere on, or near the fairway.

However, if the course I'm playing doesn't have real long or thick rough, I may try to hit the ball longer on certain holes, knowing that I'll still have a shot to the green, from a reasonable lie in the rough, if it doesn't go straight.

But 90% of the time I'll take 235-240 in the fairway.

I am in the control over distance camp as well. I hit about 70% of fairways on average because I put a premium on playing from the short stuff. I just swapped drivers for the weekend to my Nike sumo2 because it is the straightest driver I have, but I give up 10-15 yards. The course I am playing Saturday is very narrow with OB both sides in a lot of cases. More wide open, I will switch to the Burner, but I still throttle back to keep the ball in play. Almost a requirement for desert golf.

Gotta hit the fairways, especially on some of the courses I have been playing lately. I will still pull the driver out most times but will ease up a little when necessary. I still don't hit as many fairways as I'd like to!

80% gets me 240-250 & 8 of 10 fairways. The harder I swing the farther off-line it goes! My fall back is a 3-wood off the tee to help me get my tempo back in line. It's all about fairways & greens!

I am trying to come over to the control camp....
I could probably hit 75% fairways if I dialed down to a 80%/240yd swing.
Problem is, I have always had trouble with approach shots and that extra 2 clubs difference means a lot to me...Stats from OOB seem to indicate that I can get up and down better from 150 (rough or fairway) than 175 (fairway). While this might be deceptive, it seems to hold true for me for the most part.

But that was the theory up until a month ago...
i am actually starting to hit my approach shots better and I am seeing better control on the longer approach shots. thus I would rather be in the faierway as some of the newer courses I am trying to play are a little tighter than my normal ones...

Also looking at OOB stats, it seems I need to get my blowup holes under control if I want to score better. Those 2-3 double bogeys are killing me (usually as a result of a REALLY errant drive)...Turn 2 of those into bogeys and 1 into a Par and I am shooting in the upper 70's...

Bama, you are longer than me, but apparently play much longer courses. if 240 is your 80% swing, your full swing is a little less than 300 (290 or so). That is awesome my friend. And that still means that you are out 150 yards. Holy carp, you would eat my course alive. 6400 yards or so.

Last edited:
Ultimately I go for control. I average 260 with a full swing but hit around 240 with a 70% swing. However, over the past month I've developed a nasty hook with my driver only (still searching for answers to get rid of it) and only been hitting about 1/3 of fairways with it. Lately I've been using my 3 and 5 woods which get me 200 and 180 respectively with full swings. These clubs are pretty straight and accurate for me but usually mean I have a longer iron shot into the green.

Bama, you are longer than me, but apparently play much longer courses. if 240 is your 80% swing, your full swing is a little less than 300 (290 or so). That is awesome my friend. And that still means that you are out 150 yards. Holy carp, you would eat my course alive.

ok...I had not had my coffee...Lets get this into perspective with the correct math....

240 is my 89% swing (270 is about 100% on flat normal day)
At 225- 230 I hit about 10 of 14
At 230-250 I hit about 8 of 14
At 250-270 I hit about 6 of 14

The courses I play around Huntsville proper are about 6200-6300 yards

When I travel to the RTJ Trail (4 close courses), I play the Orange Tees which range from 6600-6800.

Thats 2 clubs difference which is not quite so daunting anymore...Sure are more 400+ yard Par 4's though...

bama

Coffee is my friend too. hehe

coffee-coffee-male-drink-smiley-emoticon-000190-large.gif

The course I mainly play is pretty penalizing for errant shots so for me it is all about accuracy. I always tell my guests that haven’t played the course that it is much more important to hit not only the fairway but the correct side of the fairway. At least 75% of the time I get the look of whatever, I am a bomber and they then proceed to get chewed up. :devil: A lot of times by the 12 or 13th hole you can see them changing their mind regarding how important it is to try to swing as hard as they can.

I am a control before distance kind of guy. I have no problem leaving my driver in my bag for the complete 18 holes. My home course is lined with back yards on one side, and water on the other side for the complete 18 holes. Seems like every back yard has a huge dog that barks if you get too close their fence. Land a ball in the back yard, and you could hit someone while they are relaxing back there. The water is one of the main drainage ditches that sends water to the lake. Prior to the water is a down hill slope that helps an errant ball to find a watery hiding place. Control is pretty critical on this course.

Now, once on the greens, I look at distance (speed) before I select my aim (control) line/spot :cool:

I play with one of my salesmen regularly. He is early 20's and can hit the ball over 300. I beat him regularly because hitting 3 off the tee gives me a two stroke advantage even if I have to approach from 160. He may be hitting 3 irons less than me into the green, but if he has already hit one OB, advantage me!

I got him to start last weekend by trying to leave himself 140-150 to the pin and he throttled back his driver swing. He hit every fairway and parred the first 4 holes. Then he swung out of his shoes on the next and went double, double, double, triple and ended the round with a 98. I really should play him for money!

I only hit a handful of drivers during a round, and it's usually the par 5's because I am greedy and want to have the option to go for it if it is a shorter par 5. I usually switch between a 3,4 or 5 iron on the par 4's for accuracy and try to leave myself inside the 150 yard range.

I usually find on courses I haven't played before irons off the tee are the way to go. When I played at Westchase with JB I think I only hit driver on 1 par 4 and it was the shortish one on the back nine when I was trying to get close to the green.

Except for the par 3's & certain doglegs, I will use driver on every hole as I need all the distance I can get. 220-230 is my typical drive with an occasional one out to 240+. I really don't have an issue with keeping it in play either, even when they end up missing the fairway it's usually not by a lot & is playable.

I drive maybe 200 to 225 with maybe 10 yards of carry. This is as far as I can hit it straight. That's Ok 'cause I can rip it with my 3 wood and 4h. Accuracy does suffer with the long sticks though but I'm working on it. This makes me relentlessly practice the lob, chip and bump and run. On occasion I find GIR but mostly, on a 4 par, I'm close in 2 and need a chip and a putt for par. So seeing as I don't have distance...accuracy is very much in the thoughts of my game. I am certain that's where I will beat the century mark.

I will take about 250 and in the short grass any day of the year, and lately I have been getting that distance and position. I finally learned how to throttle back my driver to keep it in the short grass. My last round I managed to hit 8 of the ten fairways that I used driver on. One of the other drives was just on the edge in the rough and the other one...well lets just say I was so deep in the junk it was a safari to find it.

I drive maybe 200 to 225 with maybe 10 yards of carry. This is as far as I can hit it straight. That's Ok 'cause I can rip it with my 3 wood and 4h. Accuracy does suffer with the long sticks though but I'm working on it. This makes me relentlessly practice the lob, chip and bump and run. On occasion I find GIR but mostly, on a 4 par, I'm close in 2 and need a chip and a putt for par. So seeing as I don't have distance...accuracy is very much in the thoughts of my game. I am certain that's where I will beat the century mark.

Yes You will BA, I haven't used my driver in 2 years and don't plan to ever again. hey if a guy with cerebral palsy can break 100 4 times by July 24th this year, and he didn't break 100 last year till Sept 7th anyone can.:thumb:

Back