Wildlife Seen on the Golf Course

I'm sure if that technically counts as wildlife . . .

Wild-Turkey-101-lg.jpg
I usually see that the night before I golf. Gobble gobble.

I see coyotes almost daily, far too many Canada Geese, great blue and night herons, a lot of migrating birds in the spring because here where the plains meet the Rockies is a natural migration route. Last year we had an elk on the 2nd fairway... not sure how he got there as we are slightly farther from the mountains than they are usually found. I've seen a lot of elk on my brother-in-law's course, just 3 or 4 miles west of mine.

Also raccoons, foxes, skunks, snakes (bull, garter, and rattle), and muskrats. Many kinds of ducks, pelicans, cormorants, hawks, falcons, eagles.

We also have the usual assortment of rodentia.... rabbits, squirrels, gophers, prairie dogs, mice and voles. It's fun to watch the coyotes hunting for mice in the native rough.

Last edited:
CT just isn't as exciting as CO - as Grogger said, we have the wild turkeys. We also have a lot of geese, deer, turtles, seagulls, squirrels, chipmunks and one day I saw a fox. I've never seen a coyote on the course, but have seen them on the street at night. Since it's so densely populated here - people can't shoot them so neighborhood associations hire trappers because the coyotes kill small pets.

Hmm, I've seen box turtles, snapping turtles, ducks (mostly mallards), Canada geese, muskrat, turkey, squirrels, deer, opossum...pretty much just the usual wildlife.

One of the courses nearby that I occasionally play has some course dogs (I don't know who is their owner). They just run around the course. I've had them follow me for a few holes once because I was giving them attention in between shots.

Coyotes, bobcats and our most revered occupant, the 7-9' Copperhead....
I have dealt with the first 2 within 6-7' from my ball...they just run off...
The Copperhead...welll...lets just say most people hit it away from the small rock outcropping on #6 at our local military course...

See a lot of deer at our course(Hill Top Lakes) sometimes in the late evening you have to wait till they move so you can hit your ball.
People have a lot of deer feeders here. We have a doe with a broken front leg, she brings her new born up each year.I think she may have been hit with a golf ball

I forgot two of the important ones.... We have a falcon on the Dell Urich public course I have seen a few times and when I lived in Arkansas, I watched a Bald Eagle swoop down and take a fish out of the water no more than 30 yards from me as I was waiting to tee off over the creek. What an awesome sight. I was struck dumb.

One of the courses nearby that I occasionally play has some course dogs (I don't know who is their owner). They just run around the course. I've had them follow me for a few holes once because I was giving them attention in between shots.

Buddy and I were playing a rural course when a beagle showed up on the tee box. He took off after my buddy's ball when it started bouncing down the fairway and grabbed it. For the next few holes, my buddy was chasing that dog trying to get his ball back. The beagle would drop it and run off out of range of his ire, but would return to pick it up after the next shot. I was rolling. I don't know why he didn't pick mine up, maybe he only liked Pinnacles...:D

That would have been a hoot to see C-Tech!

Just yesterday i saw a coyote pup sleeping on the ladies tee of a par three. definitely the weirdest thing i have ever seen.

It was like wild kingdom out there tonight - well the CT version. The rats were having their party again, seagulls were circling and there was a hawk in the rough on the 2nd hole eating something bloody. We debated whether the hawk could be considered imminent danger, but concluded he wasn't so one of my friend hit her ball, which was about 5 feet from him.

Wow, everybody seems to have a mini safar in their courses. Here in NJ, it's pretty lame... squirrels, deer, rats, rabbits, ground hog, birds and the most "exotic", red fox. Pretty lame compared to partying rats, venomous snakes and man eating alligators.

Definitely see all kinds of stuff here. Today at the course in Melbourne Beach we has the usual assortment of water birds (ibis, cranes, pelicans, ducks, coots, etc), some squirrels, and even a family of racoons made an appearance.

Got a picture of about 25-30 mallards I scared away from the tree they were all sleeping under as they swam away.

Duckies.jpg

grey-goose-vodka.jpg

Having played all over the world courtesy of the Navy I have a couple of wildlife sightings and associated local rules dealing with such. The Keppel club in Singapore has 2 marked black cobra dens on the course. Free drop if you hit one in there. Sampmagita course in the Phillipines has cobras and many monkeys. The cobras will leave you alone, but DON'T piss off the monkeys. They monkeys will steal your ball frequently. Free drop from where it was stolen. And lastly The Vines course in Perth, Australia has a ton of red roo's on the course. 2 stroke penalty if you hit one. The marshals try to get them to move along sometimes it works sometimes not.

Having played all over the world courtesy of the Navy I have a couple of wildlife sightings and associated local rules dealing with such. The Keppel club in Singapore has 2 marked black cobra dens on the course. Free drop if you hit one in there. Sampmagita course in the Phillipines has cobras and many monkeys. The cobras will leave you alone, but DON'T piss off the monkeys. They monkeys will steal your ball frequently. Free drop from where it was stolen. And lastly The Vines course in Perth, Australia has a ton of red roo's on the course. 2 stroke penalty if you hit one. The marshals try to get them to move along sometimes it works sometimes not.

You get a penalty if you hit a Red Roo?

One of the members at Baltusrol told me there is a den of wolves on the property. That they really keep to themselves and haven't been a problem.

I forgot two of the important ones.... We have a falcon on the Dell Urich public course I have seen a few times........QUOTE]

It's still there? HAHA! When I was a JV golf coach one of my students got dive-bombed by what might be that SAME falcon, though this was close to 5 years ago. Funniest sight ever from the tee behind the group, because at first all I could see was the bird diving, didn't realize it was driving off a student who had probably accidentally wandered too close to her nest or she just liked the color of his hat or was just sick and tired of me tell him to stop peeking during his swing and decided to make sure he remebered! :cool:

I forgot two of the important ones.... We have a falcon on the Dell Urich public course I have seen a few times........QUOTE]

It's still there? HAHA! When I was a JV golf coach one of my students got dive-bombed by what might be that SAME falcon, though this was close to 5 years ago. Funniest sight ever from the tee behind the group, because at first all I could see was the bird diving, didn't realize it was driving off a student who had probably accidentally wandered too close to her nest or she just liked the color of his hat or was just sick and tired of me tell him to stop peeking during his swing and decided to make sure he remebered! :cool:

Don't know how long they live, so it could be the same one or an offspring. I also had a hummingbird land on my hat at Dell Urich. I have a picture of it that I got my playing companion to take with my cell phone. He sat up there through my practice swings and did not fly off until I actually hit my tee shot.

While playing yesterday in Missouri my better half Liz was snaping pic's of anything and everything. We came across this Roadrunner on the course. She couldn't understand where that pesky coyoty was?
P1010606.jpg

I found that damn coyote!

CoyotevsNascarCar.jpg

Must've been using that damn Acme Rocket Car again!

I saw 3 baby raccoons last week. There are several deer that hang around. I saw a very aggressive snake once.

Back