How many clubs are in your bag?

Yeah, at your handicap that would seemingly make sense. Although, the more I think about it, I would argue that the extra wedge is more likely to shave a stroke off your scores than a 3 iron. Maybe play the same course a few times with the different setups and see which is more useful? I'm sure that's not a revolutionary recommendation, but I personally would go with the extra wedge. I have at least a 30 yard gap (probably more like 45) between my hybrid (16*) and my 4 iron, and the only time I ever really feel like I wish I had a 3 is off the tee on short par 4's.

Solid recommendation ryan. In fact, one thing I've been working on is choking up on my 4 hybrid to hit it 185. I'm getting pretty good at it so it might be time to make the change. One issue is afaik, they don't make a gap wedge in my iron set. I could of course get a 50* vokey, but that doesn't make as much sense to me as I would use this wedge as more of an approach wedge, not a chipping wedge.

One option I am seriously considering is replacing my iron set with one of these new-age sets like the TM Burner 09 or Adams A4, both which offer 45* pw and 50* gap wedge as part of their stock set. They both also have longer long-iron shafts, so a 5 iron would bridge the distance gap towards the 4 hybrid better than my current set.

I just carry the 14. I have others I would carry just for the variety, but I would feel like the round was tainted. I would hate to shoot a career best and know in the back of my mind that I had too many clubs.

Fourteen.

Less than 14. I can't hit the ones that are in there now why would I carry extra's that I can't hit??

Hmmmmmm these kind of threads always make me chuckle simply because I cannot remember the last time someone ACTUALLY counted clubs at any of the minor Texas and Cali amatuer stuff I play(ed) in.............heck they never even took it seriously for my brief stint in community college.......now Div I is another story so take that with a grain of sand!

Unless money is changing hands, or yall play in some tight, anal retentive circles.......yes I went there :angel:.......and the rules set forth REQUIRE only 14, why would you not carry at least one more extra wedge? If you are riding or walking with a push cart, what in the heck is an extra club gonna do to you?

Better yet I carry sometimes 16, a beat up old pinseeker 9 for hitting out of wicked bad, rocky lies that would needless-ly chew up my irons AND a lefty, cally-clone 9 for no other reason than awesome factor! (If, when playing pool, you always try to work at least 1 behind the back shot in per game you'll understand :D)

But then again this is ONLY IMHO, since some ppl take what is for a large portion a "hobby" waaaaaaaay to seriously. Rant over though, I promise! :cool:

Hmmmmmm these kind of threads always make me chuckle simply because I cannot remember the last time someone ACTUALLY counted clubs at any of the minor Texas and Cali amatuer stuff I play(ed) in.............heck they never even took it seriously for my brief stint in community college.......now Div I is another story so take that with a grain of sand!

Unless money is changing hands, or yall play in some tight, anal retentive circles.......yes I went there :angel:.......and the rules set forth REQUIRE only 14, why would you not carry at least one more extra wedge? If you are riding or walking with a push cart, what in the heck is an extra club gonna do to you?

Better yet I carry sometimes 16, a beat up old pinseeker 9 for hitting out of wicked bad, rocky lies that would needless-ly chew up my irons AND a lefty, cally-clone 9 for no other reason than awesome factor! (If, when playing pool, you always try to work at least 1 behind the back shot in per game you'll understand :D)

But then again this is ONLY IMHO, since some ppl take what is for a large portion a "hobby" waaaaaaaay to seriously. Rant over though, I promise! :cool:

To me, and it is just my opinion, but carrying too many clubs is no different than taking a mulligan or a gimme. Sure they are fine by some, and in my friday game are allowed, but if you are going to keep a handicap or post a score, or do anything else, why not play by the rules.

Carry 14 unless testing a club or two.

XIV for me. :act-up:

To me, and it is just my opinion, but carrying too many clubs is no different than taking a mulligan or a gimme. Sure they are fine by some, and in my friday game are allowed, but if you are going to keep a handicap or post a score, or do anything else, why not play by the rules.

You do have a point I will give you that! And in all fairness I play legit when doing anything serious, because them's the rules. On the other hand I don't like how as a whole us "golfers" are thought of as strict, upper-class, snobs etc by a lot of ppl. Especially compared to those who play any other sport either in amatuer levels or as a hobby........but then again it's just me.

Want to hear something really funny? I was just goofing around today on the course, nothing serious having a relaxing day with my dad and bro, and I only had 14...........generally I only put in an extra or two when I play unfamiliar courses, HATE losing balls due to unforeseen/unkowable obstacles etc and since I play by myself usually I stick in some extras, tho I still play em down weird huh?

14 or less. If I already have 14 and I'm trying a new club, I take out the one it would be replacing. I often just take 8 or 9 just for the fun of it. Do this occasionally and I guarantee that you will become a more imaginative player.

To kidzwitgunz: I'm with JB on this one. This is no different from rolling to a better lie or any other fudging of the rules. There are a great many hobbies which come with rules attached.... golf just happens to be one of them. Why not play it as it's intended to be played? :confused2:

14 or less. If I already have 14 and I'm trying a new club, I take out the one it would be replacing. I often just take 8 or 9 just for the fun of it. Do this occasionally and I guarantee that you will become a more imaginative player.

To kidzwitgunz: I'm with JB on this one. This is no different from rolling to a better lie or any other fudging of the rules. There are a great many hobbies which come with rules attached.... golf just happens to be one of them. Why not play it as it's intended to be played? :confused2:

We do that too. Once in a while we play the forward tees and say nothing lower than a 7 iron and 1 hybrid. Very interesting game.

Always 14...I dont want to be tempted, so if I want to hit 2 drivers during a round, I drop the LW for the day...

How many of you have ever so slightly touched the ball with your putter face before starting your back stroke, and for got to add a stroke to your score for that hole? I see this infraction all the time even by those who "think" they are playing strictly by the rules. How about this one. Your ball marker gets hit by another players ball, and is moved a 1/2 inch or so. The marker is not replaced to it's original position, which mean the ball will not be putted from it's correct spot. Penalty? Here's another one I see all the time. A golfer leaves a putt short, but part of the ball is hanging over the lip. The golfer picks up the ball with out tapping it in, but records the "pick up" as stroke. Penalty? I don't always play "strictly by the rules" when the match has no importance. But, if we are playing for $0.50 nassau, you won't catch me breaking any rules. Watch a professional match, and you stand a good chance of seeing a pro golfer breaking a rule or two, even though he/she only broke it a little bit.

Ever broke a rule in life, business,or while in the pursuit of happiness?

Here are my thoughts on that. The Rules of Golf say you're allowed 14 clubs; therefore, I would never consider carrying more than the rules allow. You want to call me anal retentive - feel free. I call it having integrity. I'm curious who you are trying to convince that what you're doing is ok - us or yourself.

I carry 12 and often go full rounds without using a few of those clubs.

14. I have a couple in the trunk (9 wood, 3 iron) that I'll put in the rotation once in awhile just to remind myself that I still can't hit them.

14. I have a couple in the trunk (9 wood, 3 iron) that I'll put in the rotation once in awhile just to remind myself that I still can't hit them.

I took my 9-wood out for the first time in probably 7 or 8 years just this season. It's odd not being able to reach for it! I may swap out my old 3-wood though next time and see how it goes.

I took my 9-wood out for the first time in probably 7 or 8 years just this season. It's odd not being able to reach for it! I may swap out my old 3-wood though next time and see how it goes.

Good luck. That's funny. I'm thinking about ditching my 3 wood too. I hit it well about 1 out of 3 times. I carry a 5 & 7 wood ... same brand, that I love. But there's something about being allowed to carry 14 that compels me to carry 14. I really should take it out of the bag so I won't be tempted.

Oops, I just meant to swap the 3-wood I've been using for my old 3-wood! I'd love to get the 9-wood back in there but don't see it happening.

I agree completely. I would actually feel funny about carrying too many clubs. I think I accidentally left an extra club in my bag once, and even though I mentally told myself I was going to ignore the club and not use it, the round just didn't feel right to me.

I agree completely. I would actually feel funny about carrying too many clubs. I think I accidentally left an extra club in my bag once, and even though I mentally told myself I was going to ignore the club and not use it, the round just didn't feel right to me.

i carry 11 :laugh: less options=less ways to screw things up

i carry 11 :laugh: less options=less ways to screw things up

Exactly. I don't know if you're entirely serious (judging from your 6 handicap you probably are) but more people would be better off with fewer clubs imo.

D, 3W, 3H, 4-PW, GW, SW, LW, & Putter = 14 for me!

Back