Ai Miyazato Wins with Bridgestone/Tourstage

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Japan’s Ai Miyazato out-lasted Sweden's Sophie Gustafson in a one-hole, sudden-death playoff to win the Evian Masters, after both players birdied the 72nd hole of regulation competition to finish at 14-under-par: 274. Miyazato won the event with a Tour Stage X-01G+ golf ball, manufactured by Bridgestone and popular in Japan where its Tour-level performance is often compared to the Bridgestone TOUR B330S, the company’s comparable ball played in the U.S. on the PGA Tour. Miyazato earned $487,500 of the event’s $3.25 million purse and, for her young career, established a 1-0 LPGA playoff record.

Miyazato’s steady play throughout the event culminated in a solid tee shot on the first playoff hole—replaying #18—where she found the fairway, with Gustafson in the right rough. Despite her second shot being in the right greenside bunker, Miyazato demonstrated her short-game prowess with an up-and-down birdie for the win. For the week, she led the field with the least number of putts: 109.

Bridgestone Golf’s portfolio of golf balls, internationally, includes the Tour Stage, Bridgestone and Precept brands.

Yoroshiku, Ai-sama! She was long overdue for a win and is going to be a big star on the LPGA tour.

I couldn't believe how close Sophie's eagle putt came to going in the hole for the win in regulation.

I thought the playoff hole was interesting. Miyazato goes for the green in two, Sophie had to lay up! Not how I thought that would go.

The start of many wins for Ai I suspect.

• Admin
What a great swing Ai has! Keeps that left arm totally straight start to finish. Wonderfully slow tempo and a great finish. Not too much can go wrong with that simple, effective swing like hers. She looks to be about 5 feet tall and her driver is as tall as she is. By keeping everything slow, she's able to build great centrifugal force, especially with the longer clubs. IMO she's gonna win a bunch on the LPGA tour.

Back