Will you get clubs to conform to the new groove rule?

Will you get clubs to conform to the new groove rule?

• Total voters

herr_ryan

Reaction score
Handicap
I just saw another thread that got me thinking about this, and the question is pretty straightforward. We all presumably know that in 2010, players in elite professional and amateur competitions will be forced to go to the old V-grooves in any club with 25* of loft or less. For us hackers, so long as the club was manufactured before 2010, we can keep playing the old grooves, even for handicap purposes (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

So even though you might not be required to, I'm wondering how many other golfers will be going to the new grooves to comply with the rule. I am definitely going to. I would eventually like to play in amateur competitions, like my county am, but even aside from that, the purist in me wants to play what the big boys are playing. I don't want to feel like I'm getting pity because I'm a 14 handicap. :D

So what are your thoughts on this, and what will you be doing?

*edit: I selected "I'll be updating my wedges," as my MP-32's already conform.

. . . players in elite professional and amateur competitions will be forced to go to the old V-grooves in any club with 25* of loft or less. . .

. .. I don't want to feel like I'm getting pity because I'm a 14 handicap.

Mine will, eventually. I mean if you want new stuff, they are going to have to, right? But I'm not rushing out to do it. And isn't the top level amateur rule set for 2014? Or did they change that?

(I think you meant 25° of loft and more/higher, not less)

Also, I'll take all the pity I can get! hehe

Mine will, eventually. I mean if you want new stuff, they are going to have to, right? But I'm not rushing out to do it. And isn't the top level amateur rule set for 2014? Or did they change that?

(I think you meant 25° of loft and more/higher, not less)

Also, I'll take all the pity I can get! hehe

Yeah, you're right on both counts, 25* or more (whoops :D) and 2014 for top level amateur competition.

The interesting question for me will be, though my MP-32's conformed as originally manufactured, I've had them re-grooved. So I wonder if the re-grooved grooves are unconforming.

I will buy whatever is legal at the time I buy clubs. I'm not going to shop specifically for anything in particular. If that means I get irons with the new grooves, then that's what I'll get. It isn't going to make a particle of difference in my game, nor in the games of most amateurs.

By the way, just for your information, the new grooves are not mandated to be V-grooves. The rule specifies a maximum cross-sectional area, a minimum spacing between the grooves, and a minimum .01 radius on the edges of the groove. The overall shape is not part of the specification.

Yeah, you're right on both counts, 25* or more (whoops :D) and 2014 for top level amateur competition.

The interesting question for me will be, though my MP-32's conformed as originally manufactured, I've had them re-grooved. So I wonder if the re-grooved grooves are unconforming.

This is something I've not read about yet. Since you modified the clubs in a way that was legal at the time they may still be legal after the new rule goes into effect. All of those guys with the groove sharpeners had better throw them out though, because they will be illegal to use after the change is in effect.

I am not going to worry too much about it. When my present irons wear out, I will replace them with what ever clubs my current brand has as a replacement. I replace my irons about every 4 or 5 years. There's a note in the mens' club locker room that that basically states "don't sweat it for quite a while." :comp:

I will buy whatever is legal at the time I buy clubs. I'm not going to shop specifically for anything in particular. If that means I get irons with the new grooves, then that's what I'll get. It isn't going to make a particle of difference in my game, nor in the games of most amateurs.

Those would be my thoughts as well. It's nothing I am going to even bother thinking about.

No way, in fact I bought some just to make sure I have the newest non conforming irons. I might grab a couple vokey wedges as backups too :D

I won't be buying anything new for a few years (unless I win the lotto or some sort of windfall) so I will stick with what I have until I need new stuff. I would assume that when I buy new stuff if will be within the rules by then. I have absolutely no reason to change my equipment, for the new rule or any other reason.

I have no plans to update my clubs until I wear them out. I dont play in any major tournaments, just local golf outings; so the groove rules doesnt concern me in the slightest.

By the way, just for your information, the new grooves are not mandated to be V-grooves. The rule specifies a maximum cross-sectional area, a minimum spacing between the grooves, and a minimum .01 radius on the edges of the groove.

You mean like V-grooves? :confused2:

V-Grooves are one kind that is allowed, but not the only kind. And there are a few others and things changing that will showcase quite a few different types of grooves.

You mean like V-grooves? :confused2:

No I don't. I mean exactly what I said. :confused2:

The grooves MAY be V shaped, or U shaped, or any variant in between. But all must conform to the spec's as I said above. They will NOT have the volume of the current grooves.

0405-SCORE-big.jpg

I read some where (Adam Barr??) that a ball manufacturer is going to come out with a new ball to counteract the reduced spin created by this new rule. Their new ball, will spin more, out of the rough. So, we have a ruling body making a rule they they think will help golf, and ball manufacturer circumventing the ruling body and their new rule. :banghead:

I read some where (Adam Barr??) that a ball manufacturer is going to come out with a new ball to counteract the reduced spin created by this new rule. Their new ball, will spin more, out of the rough. So, we have a ruling body making a rule they they think will help golf, and ball manufacturer circumventing the ruling body and their new rule. :banghead:

Prov-

I'm sure the ball manufacturers already have balls with softer covers in the works. Softer covers mean that the grooves don't have to be as sharp to grab and spin them. But it will mean less durable balls. Not a problem for the pros (free balls), but annoying for the consumer who wants a "tour" ball.

However, it's going to be tough to counteract the effects of narrower grooves. The club face just isn't going to be able to flush out as much water and grass as the wider grooves. So, I still think we will see a different style of play even with balls designed to accommodate the new grooves.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On one hand, I don't like the idea of different equipment standards for pros vs. amateurs. On the other hand, I do like the idea of taking golf back to a place where the pros have to hit it in the fairway to score.

Im with harry on this one. Similar to MLB with the wooden bat, I have no issue with amateurs playing different equipment. The burden will be on the club companies to produce the stuff.

As for the ball, we will start seeing the roll out of more soft golf balls before years end.

My Vokey's are the only clubs in my bag at risk and I am not planning to replace now but will replace them once they wear out (purchased new within the last year) or if I am competing in FSGA or USGA events in 2014...which I hope I am...:thumb:

Similar to MLB with the wooden bat, I have no issue with amateurs playing different equipment.

Just curious as to your thoughts on this one. To me, even though I know it's technically not the case, to be playing clubs that are illegal for pros or top level amateurs would feel like cheating. Why not buy wedges with grooves that are totally illegal or a non-conforming driver at that point? I know I ain't never going to be a tour pro, but there's a certain purity and beauty in knowing you're facing the game with the same equipment, and that the only difference is skill.

I'm actually quite surprised that seemingly nobody is going to update their clubs.

It is not illegal to play clubs that have the other grooves. Should I only play at courses that are over 7000 yards because the pros do it?

Any such ball still has to pass the conforming ball tests by the USGA. There are lots of balls available now which, for one reason or another, are not legal for play under USGA rules. There is no guarantee that this ball will conform.

I'm actually quite surprised that seemingly nobody is going to update their clubs.

I didn't say that I wouldn't update, just said that I'm not going out of my way to make a point of it. When the time comes, I will do so with no worries.

It is not illegal to play clubs that have the other grooves.

I understand that. Like I said, I just want to know that the difference between their games and mine is skill and nothing else.

I know it's technically not the case, to be playing clubs that are illegal for pros or top level amateurs would feel like cheating. Why not buy wedges with grooves that are totally illegal or a non-conforming driver at that point? I know I ain't never going to be a tour pro, but there's a certain purity and beauty in knowing you're facing the game with the same equipment, and that the only difference is skill.

It won't be cheating until they are required for us hackers. It goes without saying that the difference is skill. I'm surprised that you think everyone is going to get rid of perfectly good clubs (and LEGAL, I might add) to conform to something that isn't required. The aluminum bat example says all you need to know.

I understand that. Like I said, I just want to know that the difference between their games and mine is skill and nothing else.

It is, no doubt about it.

While it's a dream to play at the top level of amateur golf, my head tells me I've got no chance. As such, I won't need to worry about groove rules for a long time. Unless I have some sort of golfing epiphany that makes my game jump 25 levels in one leap :D

Back