had my club fitting...

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
I have been playing the same clubs since I started playing golf 5 years ago. They are Callaway Big Bertha 2004 men's regular staffs. I had decided it was time to test some new irons and get a club fitting. I went to a pro shop recommended by a friend of mine that was a perfect set up of a driving range where you can try the clubs out and a net/computer area for the actual club fitting.
We did the fitting first to see what type of clubs I would need to demo. Turns out I hit the ball a little towards the toe. However, the fitter was also a pro and asked if I had had my posture looked at lately. I hadn't recently and he made the comment that he thought I was standing too upright and my hand position too outright, which may be effecting the lie angle. Hmmmm...

So then we discussed various irons for me. He made the comment that of course he likes to sell irons, but that what I have were a good set of irons that he thought were a good fit for me. Of course, he also said that sometimes it is nice to make a change. (I think this is one of those times when guys like new gadgets!) I decided to take a few clubs that he thought I would like out onto the range anyway just to try them out.

On the range we first worked on correcting my posture, which once corrected (had to get over the weird feeling first) really did help to straighten out my shots. I then tried out the Ping G10 with a 2* adjustment. It was a nice club, but not that much different than my Callaways. I then tried the Mizuno MX200, I had actually asked to try these based on JB's review. They are very thin looking down at them, which I am not used to because of the Callaway's, but I don't really have any issues with the look of clubs. However, for those of you who like the look of players irons, these have that look while being game improvement irons. From the first shot I hit, I liked these clubs. I gained about 5-10 yards on every shot, even the miss hits went straight. The fact that they are forged, I think, gives them a little more feel. These were nice clubs. Unfortunately they are $900.

My current plan is to work on the swing changes that we went over and see how I do keeping my current clubs with no adjustments. I will be revisiting this again once I see what I have after the swing changes settle in and see if that has changed what I would benefit from.
Does anyone know, any chance the Mizunos go down in price?

I did however, purchase a new driver. I had been playing a women's shaft driver, which is too flexible for my swing speed. I ended up selecting the TaylorMade 2009 Burner. I tried out the 10.5 and the HT and ended up liking the HT ball flight a little better. I gained distance with this club, mostly because I was able to swing it faster than I could the ladies flex Callaway 460 I was currently playing. The flexibility in the women's shaft and my faster swing speed caused for significantly less control of shots and so I would often need to only swing at 50% to keep any sort of control. The Burner provided me with significantly more control for straighter more consistent shots. The women's club was also too short for me, I am 5'7, just another reason the Burner preformed better.

Take home message: get a fitting! Everyone should be getting fit for their clubs when they are making a new purchase, it just makes sense and will improve your game. Also, I went in thinking I was getting new irons and came out with a new driver. I do think that right now that is the best thing to help my game given that the other irons weren't a huge difference over my current clubs, but those Mizunos are still in the back of my mind....:waiting:

Great write up Soxy. Keep in mind with the new driver it is long even by men's standards, so if you struggle with control you can get it cut down to 45" and still be an inch longer than most womens drivers. I would also suggest trying the Cleveland Bloom set. Great set of ladies irons, that can be customized to be a little firmer. Not quite as thin as the Mizzies either.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

soxy-

Call Discount Dan's golf in Oregon. (Call them. Don't rely on the website. They are very friendly and used to calls inquiring only about price - in fact they encourage it and there is no pressure to buy.)

DD's is not a big internet retailer. They are a green grass pro shop at a small 9 hole course in Oregon and their service is the best. Plus, no tax and no shipping charges.

From the $900 price, I'm assuming you were looking at the MX-200s with the graphite shafts?

Great writeup, Soxy, and I can only echo Harry's recommendation of Discount Dan's. Good solid folks there.

soxy-

Call Discount Dan's golf in Oregon. (Call them. Don't rely on the website. They are very friendly and used to calls inquiring only about price - in fact they encourage it and there is no pressure to buy.)

DD's is not a big internet retailer. They are a green grass pro shop at a small 9 hole course in Oregon and their service is the best. Plus, no tax and no shipping charges.

From the $900 price, I'm assuming you were looking at the MX-200s with the graphite shafts?

You are correct Harry, those are the ones. I will check out Discount Dan's, thanks!

Is it true that Callaway x-22's can't be bent as far as other clubs for fitting?

Great write up Soxy. Keep in mind with the new driver it is long even by men's standards, so if you struggle with control you can get it cut down to 45" and still be an inch longer than most womens drivers. I would also suggest trying the Cleveland Bloom set. Great set of ladies irons, that can be customized to be a little firmer. Not quite as thin as the Mizzies either.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

Thanks JB. I actually felt that I had great control with the Burner, that is one of the reasons that I liked it, but I will keep in mind that it is a little longer. I didn't mind the look of the thin top of the Mizzunos, the look of a club never really bothers me. I guess if they were like florescent yellow or polka dot maybe? :laugh: I have a swing speed between 80-85 so I am actually looking for clubs in a men's regular flex, but I did see the review of the Cleveland Blooms.

So Harry, are you saying that they may have a deal on the MX-200 even though they are on sale anywhere yet?

So Harry, are you saying that they may have a deal on the MX-200 even though they are on sale anywhere yet?

Yes. It won't be super-cheap Chinese counterfeit cheap, but 99% chance that it will be better than you can find anywhere else. And they are 100% legit. I've purchased from them several times, and Claire has ordered from them as well. They have that "local store" feel to them, but somehow they can discount. My favorite store for clubs. They have an A+ reputation.

BTW, the MX-200s are the ones I want SO bad.

Is it true that Callaway x-22's can't be bent as far as other clubs for fitting?

Many cast clubs cannot be bent as far as forged clubs because of harder metals used in some instances. If you are buying a set like this, you should be fitted ahead of time so that you can get them to your specs at the time you order.

Cast can be bent 3-4*. 3 easy 4 , I'm praying

Honestly......

Hogan Apex edges.

those Mizzys are so close to the same desing as are quite a few modern irons.

And a set of new Apex edges are about $300.
but the grips kind sux, so there's that to add some $.
and they can be bent for lie.

I love the Apex edges, but I have hit those side by side with the Mizuno MX-200s and it is not even close. They look very similar, but play dramatically different.

how so ? loft ? the lofts are probably 1 degrees different.
the stock grips are awful also.
mine are R flex.

I played the Edge set for years and absolutely love it. However the feel and forgiveness is something totally different. In the last few years companies have really begun to dial in their feel/forgiveness range and I am not sure any company has done it as well as Mizuno has for the MX-200s.

The Edge set was a great set. Is a great set. But compared to the top 4-5 iron sets from this year that I have tested, they would not make the cut.

I would like to know what was your top sets, please. :D

dont meant to hijack, maybe you have another thread to link or review.

1. Nickent 4DX Pro
2. Mizuno MX-200
3. Cleveland CG7 Tour
4. Nike Split Cavity
5. Nickent Arc Blades

1 and 2 are basically tied and you cannot go wrong with any of these sets. I normally do not play blades, but the Nickent Arc's with the foam in the back make them non-blade like.

Back on topic, the fitting sounds great soxy and we look forward to hearing your progress.

1. Nickent 4DX Pro
2. Mizuno MX-200
3. Cleveland CG7 Tour
4. Nike Split Cavity
5. Nickent Arc Blades

1 and 2 are basically tied and you cannot go wrong with any of these sets. I normally do not play blades, but the Nickent Arc's with the foam in the back make them non-blade like.

JB, just curious, why did you chose to play the CG7 tour over the MX-200? Also what did you like about the CG7 tour as opposed to the CG7? Thanks!

Because the MX-200s would have cost me more money. The deal I got on the Cleveland's was fantastic and the MX-200s was not. I loved the regular CG7 too, but side by side with the Tour, I hit these better.

I picked up my TM Burner today, but it is crazy pouring here so unfortunately no chance of getting out on the course or the range today. Bachelorette party tomorrow so no golf will be involved there. I am hoping to get out Sunday afternoon for a round. I can't wait to see how it does on the course!

07 or 09 Soxy?

09 .

GG has been using that for about 2 weeks now and her review of it will be up this coming week.

I meant to share this article about club fitting yesterday, but forgot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/sports/golf/03pennington.html?ref=golf

OK, here's the problem I have with that article:

The article explained:

"Despite the prevalent impression that fitting is only for serious players with consistent swings, it is now recommended for beginners as well. Why? Even hackers tend to have something in common: they execute the same basic swing fault over and over. The right clubs can minimize the deleterious outcomes."

So what they're saying is that rather than fix the problem, it's somehow easier or better to have clubs fitted TO the problem?

That makes no sense to me at all.

And what happens if "the same basic swing fault" is overcome? Now they need to get fitted again?

What DOES make sense is what was written later:

“If you’ve taken up golf and plan to keep playing, you should get at least a rudimentary fitting,”

Get fitted for length, loft. lie and basic shaft flex. Then go out and learn to hit a golf ball with as good a swing as one is capable of developing and pay particular attention to developing consistency and repeatability.

THEN go and get a full-fledged custom fitting.

-JP

Back