Z-Star and B330RX Review is underway

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
I have ordered a dozen of each and will be putting them through the ringer for the rest of the season...Starting with a nice Robert Trent Jones Trail this weekend....

I will report back on my findings as best as I can..
If you would like for me to look for anything special, let me know....

bama

check to see if the zstars are very soft!

when i mentioned that i like the z-urs before, i love it because its ssssooooooo soft! almost dig-your-fingernail-in soft :blob:

Nah,
I cannot wait to see your thoughts on them. More reviews equal more informed consumers. That is all we want.

Balls should play very similar.Numbers are close

Bridgestone Tour B330-RX (08) 2008 90 71 86 68 81 91
Srixon Z-Star (09) 2009 90 71 88 70 81 91

And these numbers are??? lol

And these numbers are??? lol

I agree. Where are these numbers from? Some people might know what they mean but most of us don't! I know they mean zilch to me! Link maybe?

And we were supposed to know to do that because? Could have been easier to follow by just to reposting the link, but oh well. Following a link simply to follow another link is pretty much worthless. It was kind of like pressing one to hear instructions in English. A totally unnecessary step.

And we were supposed to know to do that because? Could have been easier to follow by just to reposting the link, but oh well. Following a link simply to follow another link is pretty much worthless.

Then don't follow.I don't care,but if you want help to understand those numbers the link should help. Really no need for snide remarks.Especially when All I was trying to do is help

I like using numbers for a lot of things, but seeing those is a little odd. You can tell there is a big difference when you play both these balls side by side. Different sound. Certainly different green side feel and spin. Much different off the tee.

Last edited:
Then don't follow.I don't care,but if you want help to understand those numbers the link should help. Really no need for snide remarks.Especially when All I was trying to do is help

I'm just saying you didn't need to be a jerk and post a link to a link after putting up a bunch of numbers that 99 percent of people have no clue what it means! How much harder would it have been just to repost the link? None? Wow, maybe that would have been the better option.

hmmmm...those are about the 2 closest numbers n the chart....
From minimal play prior to this week, the only thing I can unofficially attest to is that the B330RX seems to be more durable (as some people have already stated)

I would think with numbers that close that the Z-Star would have been a little closer to the Bridgestone in that category....

thx
bama

I also think that the Z-Star spins a lot more than the Bridgestone and that the Bridgestone is straighter off the tee.

Bama, you are dead on with the durability.

can't wait to hear more about this. I'm almost done my supply of e6+'s and am tempted to move to the B330 RX's but the Srixons are getting my attention now...

I can't wait to see what you think of both balls.

I was playing the B330RX this past Friday and lost a drive to the right. I never found the ball :angry:, but did find a ProV1x in great condition. Played that the rest of my round and really liked it off the tee too.

That is surprising Soxy, because those two balls are really built for different swing speeds. 330RX for slower amateur speeds and Pro V1x for swing speeds that are much faster.

That is surprising Soxy, because those two balls are really built for different swing speeds. 330RX for slower amateur speeds and Pro V1x for swing speeds that are much faster.

I hear you JB but one has to wonder about the marketing aspect of all these different golf balls...for instance I read an article not to long ago by the guy who is in charge of the design of Taylormade balls (he was hired away from Titleist a few years back and helped design the original Pro V1). He said in the article (and was quoted as saying he should not say this) but that the real difference in their ball line between the Burner, Burner TP, TP Red & TP Black was from 150 yards in. He said that if you took all four balls to the golf course and hit them off the tee that the difference would be very minimal (regardless of what the marketing says) in reference to distance and direction. That is why when they came out with these four balls that their Pro’s (Sergio, Rose, Goosen etc..) all went straight to the 150 marker to test the balls…none of them were interested in testing them off the tee. They then went to the green and chipped and putted with all of them to make their decision. Something to think about…:confused2:

Do you know where that article is? Link? The reason I ask, is because my response was geared directly after speaking with the folks at Bridgestone and Taylormade. The compression of the balls off the tee will be very relevant depending on the differences.

Do you know where that article is? Link? The reason I ask, is because my response was geared directly after speaking with the folks at Bridgestone and Taylormade. The compression of the balls off the tee will be very relevant depending on the differences.

I will try to find it...:thumb:

I hear you JB but one has to wonder about the marketing aspect of all these different golf balls...for instance I read an article not to long ago by the guy who is in charge of the design of Taylormade balls (he was hired away from Titleist a few years back and helped design the original Pro V1). He said in the article (and was quoted as saying he should not say this) but that the real difference in their ball line between the Burner, Burner TP, TP Red & TP Black was from 150 yards in. He said that if you took all four balls to the golf course and hit them off the tee that the difference would be very minimal (regardless of what the marketing says) in reference to distance and direction. That is why when they came out with these four balls that their Pro’s (Sergio, Rose, Goosen etc..) all went straight to the 150 marker to test the balls…none of them were interested in testing them off the tee. They then went to the green and chipped and putted with all of them to make their decision. Something to think about…:confused2:

Seems like something similar to this comes up at Ryder Cup time when they are playing Alternate Shot. I recall hearing that they base the ball they use on that hole on whoever is taking the second shot. Not who is making the tee shot.

Let me add one more thing. While I think that most people should choose their golf ball working from the green backwards as has been stated hundreds of times by tons of people, picking a ball is no different than picking clubs. Yet nobody ever seems to get fitted. Talking to ball companies they surely do talk about approach shots and green side. But to think that side spin reducing balls are all marketing is just not true.

Furthermore, while amateurs may see very little in terms of distances gained by different balls, ball spin and flight patterns change drastically. Take a Pro V1 and Pro V1x for example. I have hit both into launch monitors and the difference in spin is enough to notice it.

Furthermore, while amateurs may see very little in terms of distances gained by different balls, ball spin and flight patterns change drastically. Take a Pro V1 and Pro V1x for example. I have hit both into launch monitors and the difference in spin is enough to notice it.

Very true JB and that is the one point I did not mention from Dick Snell's comments about ball fitting...he does promote launch angle and spin as being important aspects...My post above was my take from what he said. Below is the link to the actual interview...it is an interesting read:

Bag Chatter Dean Snell TaylorMade Golf

Back