Cast vs Forged - The Master Debate

Merged with a HUGE thread. Don't forget to use the search function.

I don't really know the difference, I just happen to have forged irons and I love them, but my dad has pings s57 (I think their cast) and they're very similar in feel.

Hey good luck dude. Your game is only limited by your fitness age and dedication. Not everyone can become a scratch golfer but dont let yourself doubt that you can become that good.

Merged with larger thread

In all honesty there are some Cast clubs that have a sweeter feel then forged clubs and vice versa....I think the brand and club all has a lot to do with it! I do prefer forged clubs over cast though for my personal preference in what I play and I have tried! I have a line up of 3 SM4 wedges and they do not feel near as good or soft on nice strikes as a Forged titleist Curtis Strange wedge from like 2000 I have! I would play cast irons though if they were what I liked at the moment in time and like the looks and the irons all around! I am not set 100% on having to have forged but I have noticed really nice forged clubs do promote a softer feel!

Softest feeling club I've hit, bar none. Rocketbladez 6i I was warming up with today before tinkering with the Mizuno shaft optimizer. It's cast and fugly but boy did it feel pleasing. Just goes to show.

I love this thread. The method of manufacturing does not influence feel, if it does its only through sound. Head shape and materials used are what makes a club "soft". Not the method how the clubs are made.

I honestly don't hit enough different irons to really know. What I can say is I did enjoy my Launcher's when I had them and now I love my current set of sticks.

I havent found it on here so at fear of sounding dumb whats the difference in cast to forged in terms of the process. I know the forged clubs tend to be a softer metal and i like the way they feel just a bit but I dont know much more.

I havent found it on here so at fear of sounding dumb whats the difference in cast to forged in terms of the process. I know the forged clubs tend to be a softer metal and i like the way they feel just a bit but I dont know much more.

Cast = Metal is poured into a mold
Forged= Piece of metal is formed into the club

Still gaming RAC LT2s. They haven't left my bag because they still perform well. They are in great shape considering their age and I think a lot of that is because they are cast. Easy to work, feel great on solid strikes, and still provide feedback on mishits. I am open to any club that performs well forged or cast.

I love this thread. The method of manufacturing does not influence feel, if it does its only through sound. Head shape and materials used are what makes a club "soft". Not the method how the clubs are made.

Previous comparisons between clubs in the cast vs forged debate normally do not take into consideration composition. It appears that most forged clubs are made of "softer" steel alloys then their cast counterparts, which to a layperson such as myself, would make such comparisions apples to oranges vs apples to apples.

In my case the club composition is the same, only the manufacturing process is different. My Ping Ansers are forged 8620 and my Scratch wedges are cast 8620 and the clubs feedback is identical.

My Mizuno MP-60s are made from softer steel, have a smaller head and what most would consider a somewhat smaller cavity back then my Ping Ansers. Conventional wisdom would say that the MP-60s would feel softer then the Ansers. However, their feedback feels the same to me. Then again I have been accused by womanfolk as being unfeeling. :confused2:

2 words.....Distance control.

9 words ... What does that have to do with manufacturing process?

Maybe he's basing that on cast clubs having "hot spots"?

9 words ... What does that have to do with manufacturing process?
I know from fact of experience working with metal as a welder and fabricator that it is hard to cast molten metal with out air pockets. That isn't to say it can't be done. I'm sure that companies like ping ot taylormade with their tour line don't have a strict quality controll where they x-ray the clubs to check and refuse them if they do. That would make sense to me as to why ping charges as much for their cast clubs (a less expensive way of forming meta into shape) as a foged club (a more expensive and labor intensive process)
I prefer forged clubs because forged metal is not as brittle, the loft and lie can be adjusted and ther is no way for an air bubble to be in a forged club.

I've had more success with cast clubs but I don't not like forged. For some clubs I prefer different a feel (wedges I like softer). I still know where I hit it on the face regardless of the material but if I am swinging a club harder I want it to be cast because it seems to retain shape better. I had to check loft and lie constantly with my Razr X Forged because they move over time and it got a little annoying.

I know from fact of experience working with metal as a welder and fabricator that it is hard to cast molten metal with out air pockets. That isn't to say it can't be done. I'm sure that companies like ping ot taylormade with their tour line don't have a strict quality controll where they x-ray the clubs to check and refuse them if they do. That would make sense to me as to why ping charges as much for their cast clubs (a less expensive way of forming meta into shape) as a foged club (a more expensive and labor intensive process)
I prefer forged clubs because forged metal is not as brittle, the loft and lie can be adjusted and ther is no way for an air bubble to be in a forged club.

I by no means am disagreeing with you about the air bubbles. But those bubbles are so small that I doubt they would affect a golf swing. I also doubt that a humans hands are sensitive enough to detect those air bubbles while making contact

I fully understand the mental aspect of it. And that's fine. That's as good a reason as any to play forged. I have played both forged and cast irons. When swing properly, they have both felt the same to me.

Lofts and lies can be adjusted on cast clubs. The processes for Casting have changed drastically from the early years. You are right, air pockets can form but those are few and far between

Back