Was Jack a Slow Golfer?

Golf Ghost

Reaction score
The '86 Master's replay was on last night in celebration of Jack's birthday. I noticed something though, he took a lot of time over the ball, especially over putts. Now I didn't follow golf while Jack was still playing and wasn't alive for him in his prime or even his second coming.

So for those who were able to watch Jack, was he a slow player?

Took his time over the ball, but walked fast to make up for it. That's what I heard in several interviews

Took his time over the ball, but walked fast to make up for it. That's what I heard in several interviews

I have heard the same thing....he was very deliberate over the ball.....but not slow in decision making or even really reading putts....he just didn't pull the trigger to he was ready.

yeah, i used to be pretty slow, but then i started playing golf instead of screwing around.

back to the topic, i've never heard anybody else say he was a slow player, and i've never noticed it myself (and i've seen quite a bit of him playing).

He talks about it in his book. His take on it was that he walked fast and had his mind made up while the other guys were hitting, but took a while to get set-up and pull the trigger. He doesn't think he's slow, but we know how that works.

In truth, I have no idea.

He talks about it in his book. His take on it was that he walked fast and had his mind made up while the other guys were hitting, but took a while to get set-up and pull the trigger. He doesn't think he's slow, but we know how that works.

In truth, I have no idea.

Very interesting. I've never really heard of Jack being called a slow player. I haven't really seen any of him playing though, so I can't comment.

I don't recall him being particularly slow, but I don't recall a lot from those days.
Today, one player hits, and then the caddy-golfer chat starts, and the fiddling and club changes and whatnot. Then they set up and hit.
He may have taken more time over the ball, but if he had his plan ready when it was his turn, I can't see him being slow overall.

I have trouble imagining anyone saying "Geez, Jack, pick up the pace would ya?".

Very interesting. I've never really heard of Jack being called a slow player. I haven't really seen any of him playing though, so I can't comment.

From what I read, he was criticized for it, but I don't really know the truth.

I don't recall him being particularly slow, but I don't recall a lot from those days.
Today, one player hits, and then the caddy-golfer chat starts, and the fiddling and club changes and whatnot. Then they set up and hit.
He may have taken more time over the ball, but if he had his plan ready when it was his turn, I can't see him being slow overall.

I have trouble imagining anyone saying "Geez, Jack, pick up the pace would ya?".

The good thing about Jack's game was the he was 20-30 yards longer than everybody. So, he was always waiting on the other play to hit first, allowing him to figure his stuff out while he was waiting. Same with the putting. More often than not, his approach shot was closer to the hole than the other guys, also giving him more time to ponder.

But, I don't know if the Tour has a clock back then, like they do now, especially due to increase TV coverage and trying to fit rounds into a viewing window.

I don't really remember his being slow but there is a difference in being "deliberate" if you only hit the ball 65 - 70 times a round and the same behavior if it is hit 100 times. He may have contributed to today's "problem" if all us hackers copied his routine over the ball.

Slightly off topic, but Ben Hogan after his wreck, was said to stand over putts for upwards of a minute or more before he stroked it.

From what I read, he was criticized for it, but I don't really know the truth.

Interesting. I'd like to see some tape of him playing for an extended period.

Thanks everyone for replying. In these replays, they only show him over the ball basically, so that's the only thing I've really seen of him.

Does anyone say or think they are a slow golfer?
I have never heard anyone say they like to play slow, yet everyone complains about slow play. Now who do you suppose is causing all that slow play if all golfers play fast.
Things that make you go.......hmmm!

Jack was slower than some faster than others, but he did tend to be on the slow side.
He used to say he would stand over a putt until he thought he was going to make it.

I've seen it written and commented that he was slow and even read once somewhere that (in the sarcastic opinion of the author of the article) golf was faster until he came along.

But at that level who cares? Your playing in a proffessional tournament and earning a living doing it. Where else would ya need to be? I mean, ya got a date or something?lol

he did stand over putts long as you can see from the 86 masters videos which happens to be for me unfortunately the most boring part of watching golf. Not the putt but the actual waiting for one.

I have never heard anyone say they like to play slow, yet everyone complains about slow play. Now who do you suppose is causing all that slow play if all golfers play fast.

I dont like to wait (just human nature) but i will say I hate rushing. I dont want to run through a round in 3 or 3 and half hours and wish away the enjoyment of being out there. Dont get to play much so I'm not looking forward to ending it. I want to take it in.

Who is slow? I will say that alot of golfers think because they are good that they cant be slow and it has to be the bad hacker slowing it all up which is often a huge misconception. I can tell you that I can and have shot 99 and 101 and do it in alot less then 4 hours and actually wait for others who were much better. Its not how good one golfs but its how fast they move along inbetween hitting and during hitting. This is true of good or bad golfers.

On that same note - Then ya got the golfer (who may be very good) who says "hey we gotta pick up the pace a bit" but in the mean time he's the one taking forever for every stroke and right after he says it, he continues to not change anything he's doing to speed up anything at all. But hey, he's good so it cant be him.

Some people just dont at all know how to move along. They can be that way in life as well as golf. Just cant grasp the idea of "hurry up". Just not in thier nature wether good or bad golfer.

Golfed in a foursome once with 2 of the guys who took forever to do everything. They werent great but much better than me and here I was shooting my 90's and yet telling them we need to move along and then twice the ranger came buy. Then they agree but then magically took the same friggin forever time to do everything and never changed anything at all to pick up pace. Some people just dont know how to do it. Myself and the other guy in the group were like " what the heck!" But of course it couldnt be them because they were the better golfers in the group. I mean directly right after the ranger informs us while on the green, these guys go though the same exact friggin slow ass putting routines as before. I just dont get it how some people dont or cant do it. Now I'm feeling like I gotta rush rush everything so i'm playin even worse and yet still keep waiting. I hated playing like that.

Jack was slower than some faster than others, but he did tend to be on the slow side.
He used to say he would stand over a putt until he thought he was going to make it.

Yes but the one i know says he's deliberate.

I watched it for a bit too & noticed the pace of the game overall was slower. I had to turn it because the camera work was awful, half of the shots weren't even in frame until they landed, rolled & settled

Jack was slow on the the important putts somewhat like Jim Furyk. I saw him several times in person at Augusta. He kept pace with everybody he played with from tee to green.

Jack was slow on the the important putts somewhat like Jim Furyk. I saw him several times in person at Augusta. He kept pace with everybody he played with from tee to green.

Thanks Gray, was really hoping someone who saw him live would answer.

Thanks Gray, was really hoping someone who saw him live would answer.

Jack was my favorite all time player and I followed him on every occasion I could. I lived in Augusta for 13 years just two miles from Augusta National.

Jack was my favorite all time player and I followed him on every occasion I could. I lived in Augusta for 13 years just two miles from Augusta National.

Colour me green.

Back