Almost got into a fight on the course today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess op has never heard, the bigger they are the harder they fall.....

The op is going to pick a fight with some guy who is 5'9" Krav Maga instructor

126 posts in less than 24 hours, most equipment threads don't see that

As I just read up on this thread this was the first thing that came to mind. I don't get what the rush was. I use long rounds as an chance to share jokes and stories with friends. If I had a kid I would look at it as an opportunity to spend some quality time with my child. I've noticed this more and more lately on golf courses that people are more concerned with finishing as quickly as possible and get so impatient at any waiting. However, the op takes impatience on a golf course to another level. It seems like they skipped as many holes as they played. When you play golf there are going to be rounds you wait, it happens.

Looking at the whole situation, the op caused the problem by jumping around the course and cutting off a group then saying we're skipping ahead because of the slow play, made the situation worse by playing the membership card and driving back to the tee box after he had left, threatened to beat them up, and did nothing to resolve the issue. The other group could have used better language but compared to the op, they did a lot more to resolve the issue. Yes they used a couple choice words that were uncalled for but they were completely right calling the op out on skipping ahead. In my opinion, the op shoulders about 99% of the blame in this situation.

This pretty much sums it up for me. We all don't like 6 hours rounds but when I'm out with my son I'm not in that big of a hurry and if we are holding people up we graciously let them play through.

I think you almost fighting is being a great role model showing that its okay to get to the breaking point of a fight then cowering out.

TTing

:deadhorse: Yup

whole lotta people actin' wrong, not a whole lotta people actin' right.

I feel like the swearing around a 13 year old was just a convient excuse/justification for the op's anger. he was already mad/annoyed and wanted to get into it, the cursing just gave him a nice little bow to wrap his anger in.

op knew it was going to be slow because he mentioned that it's usually slower in the afternoon because of the public traffic. He was unhappy going into the round because he knew it was going to be slow, and it was. He skipped holes (which we've all done) and that only added to his annoyance of the day. He skips ahead of these guys who are understandably confused and upset that someone just jumped in front of them. This whole thing is just a mess.

The gentlemen who got into it with op were combative in their tone, there's no doubt, but their level of combativeness was exceeded in bounds by the op's. As others have mentioned he's bothered by the cursing and the influence on his daughter, yet I think he might be indiretly teaching her impatience, elitism, and rudeness.

The thing that most gets me is op's post on chivalry, saying something to people using inappropriate language around women and children. While I agree that people should watch their words and people who curse a lot and curse at inappropriate times does say something about them, it also, in my opinion, says something about the people who throw their weight around into other people's business just to do it.
I guess we're just different that way.

you do realize that because you jumped in front of them without asking is what caused them to react that way right? I agree that cursing in front of your daughter is unacceptable but threatening with violence is even worse. you said your daughter didn't hear you so what does she think you said to them? "these guys just cussed at us & my dad is going up to them, I guess he's offering to buy them all dinner". come on man..

Im really glad this didn't end in blows, where i come from this guy would have faced a serious ban had he assaulted someone , especially so that he caused the whole situation, i agree with comment earlier that the cursing was just as excuse for blowing off a full head of steam, not cool

It seems like people here are piling on a little bit.

It seems like people here are piling on a little bit.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent - Thomas Jefferson

In my opinion you handled it all very well. Of course everyone on hear is going to say this and that but no one was in your situation and I can imagine having to deal with punk ass "boys" that think they are something. Hopefully they won't be back again and just try and resist from beating some ass if it happens again. Your the parent not them. But one thing I will suggest is to not get into a physical fight with people unless you have to.

Maybe the rest of the people out there golfing on this "semi public" course did not realize your high stature as a member. Did you show them your card? They also must not have seen how big you are.....

I tell you, this is the reason that a great game like golf can really get ruined for everybody else who has the nerve to play at your "semi-public" course.

I understand how pissed you would be dropping Fbombs in front of a kid is not cool but coming back to the tee box is asking for an escalation of a conflict i would have just gone to the pro and got them kicked off but i understand people can be real Aholes.

Stuff like this happens all over I was Playing Mauna Kea on the big Island and got paired with 3 dudes from the great white north and on the 3rd hole a pair of Japanese hit into us as we were walking of the green they did not even yell four i thought a hockey brawl was going to be coming to hawaii. At least the Japanese Dude that hit into us hit it out of bounds 50 yards past the Green

I have a few views on this, first off it is your courses fault for having this hold up and not controlling the pace of play! Second well....I hear F bombs all the time and that comes from Police officers, marines, golfers, all sorts of people so even though golf is a classy sport, you do have your people that curse, and also drink and get wild! That being said if they were dropping the words in a real direct way towards me with no care my daughter was there as a 6'4 person myself....well i would have used that to my advantage only if they were trying to get physical with me, although never on a golf course or on a street do I start fights period, I am 26 and do not need the trouble of a silly fight, but sometimes it cannot be stopped if your ganged up on and have to defend yourself in a mugging or something of that nature but that was not the case here.

Now as far as you feeling you have special rights as a member.....well in a way you do and I know any high end private course I play at cater to members that are of higher stature in life, even though my courses are members only unless your a guest playing with a member and never open to the public for these types of problems right here! I will say favoritism happens all the time at clubs and people getting speial treatment so if you get treated that way there then by all means I guess you had the right to feel the way you did about everything!

Now, I would have not worried about the curse words as your daughter could watch golf on tv and here the same talk the audio microphones may pick up....that's life, I know it may have made you mad but it's just a simple fact that it is life! Also I would have said nothing and played my round and let the pro know what was going on or at my course it is the CEO I would go to in his office if something so wild broke out! i would have never thouh told anyone I was coming back to whoop them up because now your actually breaking a law and threating someone, multiple people at that! It may be in your nature to get like this as when i was younger i had a hotter head on me but learned from friends with real bad tempers that landed behind bars...fights are not worth it and prove nothing!

What if one of those guys would have felt so at fear as you started whaling away on one of them , he took a 9 iron out and whacked you upside the head and killed you by some odd chance!?! That is what I am saying how things are not worth it unless your stuck having to defend yourself, then your daughter has no DaD for the rest of her life over some stupid, freak incident/accident on a GOLF COURSE! I am not calling you out as being a bad person but to take in all them factors and realize your three times 6'4 280lbs, by just walking away and saying nothing and waving and saying have a nice day as you know in your own mind what your capable of physically! Do not sweat it and if your Pro said they are known for being Pricks, well there is your answer and they were not worth the time or sweat, nor trouble and they are not aloud back I read and just let the whole thing go and go out there and enjoy your next round of golf with your daughter as she sounds like she has a gift for the game and put that effort into her vs all that effort you were going to put in taking on 3 guys in a fight!

Frankly, if you had threatened me and said you were going to come back and kick my ass, my response would have been: "I'll wait." Now what?

I have a few views on this, first off it is your courses fault for having this hold up and not controlling the pace of play! Second well....I hear F bombs all the time and that comes from Police officers, marines, golfers, all sorts of people so even though golf is a classy sport, you do have your people that curse, and also drink and get wild! That being said if they were dropping the words in a real direct way towards me with no care my daughter was there as a 6'4 person myself....well i would have used that to my advantage only if they were trying to get physical with me, although never on a golf course or on a street do I start fights period, I am 26 and do not need the trouble of a silly fight, but sometimes it cannot be stopped if your ganged up on and have to defend yourself in a mugging or something of that nature but that was not the case here.

Now as far as you feeling you have special rights as a member.....well in a way you do and I know any high end private course I play at cater to members that are of higher stature in life, even though my courses are members only unless your a guest playing with a member and never open to the public for these types of problems right here! I will say favoritism happens all the time at clubs and people getting speial treatment so if you get treated that way there then by all means I guess you had the right to feel the way you did about everything!

Now, I would have not worried about the curse words as your daughter could watch golf on tv and here the same talk the audio microphones may pick up....that's life, I know it may have made you mad but it's just a simple fact that it is life! Also I would have said nothing and played my round and let the pro know what was going on or at my course it is the CEO I would go to in his office if something so wild broke out! i would have never thouh told anyone I was coming back to whoop them up because now your actually breaking a law and threating someone, multiple people at that! It may be in your nature to get like this as when i was younger i had a hotter head on me but learned from friends with real bad tempers that landed behind bars...fights are not worth it and prove nothing!

What if one of those guys would have felt so at fear as you started whaling away on one of them , he took a 9 iron out and whacked you upside the head and killed you by some odd chance!?! That is what I am saying how things are not worth it unless your stuck having to defend yourself, then your daughter has no DaD for the rest of her life over some stupid, freak incident/accident on a GOLF COURSE! I am not calling you out as being a bad person but to take in all them factors and realize your three times 6'4 280lbs, by just walking away and saying nothing and waving and saying have a nice day as you know in your own mind what your capable of physically! Do not sweat it and if your Pro said they are known for being Pricks, well there is your answer and they were not worth the time or sweat, nor trouble and they are not aloud back I read and just let the whole thing go and go out there and enjoy your next round of golf with your daughter as she sounds like she has a gift for the game and put that effort into her vs all that effort you were going to put in taking on 3 guys in a fight!

I agree with your views on the violence. It just isnt worth it, you never know what can happen. Crazier things happen all the time. What starts out as minor dispute can and sometimes does ends up in some sort of tragedy. However i do understand the bad language thing can be bothersome. My family has season football tix (the Jets unfortunately lol) and the language that goes on is a real pain with too many women and children around (at times with us) and quite frankly just too many men also who do not want to here the constant Fbombs thrown out every two minutes by a select few individuals. It continues for the whole game until someone or we just has to get up and try to put an end to it. So this type disrespectful stuff in front my kid would get me going as well but I would have tried to handle it respectfully as I could on my end.

As far as the special rights thing its a bunch hogwash crap. If anyone is on any golfcourse, it dont matter how or why they are there, they are being allowed to play and they (as people who actually count in life) should be treated the same regardless of guest, member or whatever have you. Anything otherwise is disrespectful and not honorable. No one means more than anyone else. No one counts more than anyone else. They may not have the same benefits or access to certain things but they certainly are there golfing too and should be treated with the same respect and honor as a person on the course as anyone else.

That is where part the problem lies. The Op started off by saying he was a member that lived there and from the tone of the post (from what was written and the way it was written IMO) portrayed it as such that he was better than or somehow counted more when playing golf than any one else who was not a member. Perhaps if they didnt allow public access his dues (although besides the point) might be higher so he should remember that too.

Now he's out there as a twosome and also knows the public is also out there so right off the bat he must know these two big resons he's going to have to deal with being held up and should respectfully wait his turn like every one else unless he asks to play through. Instead what he does with intent is drive around the course bobbin and weaving like no one else counts for anything and even goes far as to say gonna swing back around and play 10/11 later. What if everyone did this? Would i have the right to do this too if i were there as a guest or a paying golfer? I think i count too if I'm out there golfing every bit as much he does.

When he jumps ahead the green to the next tee he now just totaly disrespected those on the green who where finishing up. Just like he wanted to defend his and his daughters honor due to the bad languauge, the golfers he cut in front of felt (at least one did) that they wanted to defend their honor. In thier own mind they very well could have felt like this "hey, what are we invisible? are we not here? we dont count?".. And this is why justifiably so, they had a right to be just as angry. They were 100% wrong for the language used to handle it but were 100% corrrect in feeling the right to say something. They disrespected the OP and his daughter due to the language like as if he and his daughter meant nothing but the Op disrespected them just as badly as if they meant nothing in the first place. I know i and I'm sure most would have at least expected some sort of acknowledgement to their existance. Some sort of perhaps "hey, how are ya, here with my daughter, just the two of us, mind if we play on ahead?, be outta ur way in a jiffy". That probably all it would have taken. An aknowledgment that other people actually counted for something. As said, they are there golfing too.

Nailed it, exactly what I thought when I read the OP. I can't stand people with a privileged attitude. If he takes that tude out of the equation and actually shows people a little respect there was no story to write.

I agree with your views on the violence. It just isnt worth it, you never know what can happen. Crazier things happen all the time. What starts out as minor dispute can and sometimes does ends up in some sort of tragedy. However i do understand the bad language thing can be bothersome. My family has season football tix (the Jets unfortunately lol) and the language that goes on is a real pain with too many women and children around (at times with us) and quite frankly just too many men also who do not want to here the constant Fbombs thrown out every two minutes by a select few individuals. It continues for the whole game until someone or we just has to get up and try to put an end to it. So this type disrespectful stuff in front my kid would get me going as well but I would have tried to handle it respectfully as I could on my end.

As far as the special rights thing its a bunch hogwash crap. If anyone is on any golfcourse, it dont matter how or why they are there, they are being allowed to play and they (as people who actually count in life) should be treated the same regardless of guest, member or whatever have you. Anything otherwise is disrespectful and not honorable. No one means more than anyone else. No one counts more than anyone else. They may not have the same benefits or access to certain things but they certainly are there golfing too and should be treated with the same respect and honor as a person on the course as anyone else.

That is where part the problem lies. The Op started off by saying he was a member that lived there and from the tone of the post (from what was written and the way it was written IMO) portrayed it as such that he was better than or somehow counted more when playing golf than any one else who was not a member. Perhaps if they didnt allow public access his dues (although besides the point) might be higher so he should remember that too.

Now he's out there as a twosome and also knows the public is also out there so right off the bat he must know these two big resons he's going to have to deal with being held up and should respectfully wait his turn like every one else unless he asks to play through. Instead what he does with intent is drive around the course bobbin and weaving like no one else counts for anything and even goes far as to say gonna swing back around and play 10/11 later. What if everyone did this? Would i have the right to do this too if i were there as a guest or a paying golfer? I think i count too if I'm out there golfing every bit as much he does.

When he jumps ahead the green to the next tee he now just totaly disrespected those on the green who where finishing up. Just like he wanted to defend his and his daughters honor due to the bad languauge, the golfers he cut in front of felt (at least one did) that they wanted to defend their honor. In thier own mind they very well could have felt like this "hey, what are we invisible? are we not here? we dont count?".. And this is why justifiably so, they had a right to be just as angry. They were 100% wrong for the language used to handle it but were 100% corrrect in feeling the right to say something. They disrespected the OP and his daughter due to the language like as if he and his daughter meant nothing but the Op disrespected them just as badly as if they meant nothing in the first place. I know i and I'm sure most would have at least expected some sort of acknowledgement to their existance. Some sort of perhaps "hey, how are ya, here with my daughter, just the two of us, mind if we play on ahead?, be outta ur way in a jiffy". That probably all it would have taken. An aknowledgment that other people actually counted for something. As said, they are there golfing too.

hahahaha.
There are no losers, only winners. Except this superbowl sunday, someone will lose lol

What a bully. All you had to say was is it ok if I play through with my daughter, we are in a little bit of a hurry? I promise we will not hold you up. The reported a$$holes would have let you through and everything would have been fine. But instead you are a big guy and decided to throw your weight around. If you did that to me I would be calling the police and have them waiting there to arrest you when you returned. I am a little disabled guy and I know I am worthless in any physical confrontation. So I am respectful to all people, even if they do not deserve it. What if one of the guys was armed and shot and killed you in font of your daughter.

SO the OP posts about him driving around disrespecting people by moving ahead of them without even acknowledging they exist and then commits a crime of assault and then complains that someone dropped a F bomb around his daughter. I am sorry they did not bow at your feet.

Pretty much.

What a bully. All you had to say was is it ok if I play through with my daughter, we are in a little bit of a hurry? I promise we will not hold you up. The reported a$$holes would have let you through and everything would have been fine. But instead you are a big guy and decided to throw your weight around. If you did that to me I would be calling the police and have them waiting there to arrest you when you returned. I am a little disabled guy and I know I am worthless in any physical confrontation. So I am respectful to all people, even if they do not deserve it. What if one of the guys was armed and shot and killed you in font of your daughter.

SO the OP posts about him driving around disrespecting people by moving ahead of them without even acknowledging they exist and then commits a crime of assault and then complains that someone dropped a F bomb around his daughter. I am sorry they did not bow at your feet.

The people with more priveleges at courses because of who they are is not right especially if everyone is paying the same fees, I am just clearly stating, it happens, I see it at my Country Club all the time and i ignore it as I am not a millionaire and do not get the treatment they do, I consider myself lucky to be playing on such a nice course for the price I get at a discount for my age group! With full access as everyones else as well, I will ask to play through though and not just cut ahead and do understand the language, i am just saying it is so hard to avoid what comes out of someone elses mouth! It is worth a shot asking kindly for them to lower their tone with the curse words but most likely your not getting anywhere and kids are going to hear this language anywhere, but I do understand the guy getting upset at the direct cursing and name calling in front of his daughter but the way he wanted to handle it wasnt proper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back