Trackman's Ten Fundamentals

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
Was googling around for some info on Trackman (especially relating to club path) and found this neat pdf: http://www.trackman.dk/download/newsletter/newsletter7.pdf

Obviously there's a ton of data that probably just creates confusion but there were some points that I found interesting. #5 launch direction, #6 club path and #9 straight shot.

For example when hitting upwards on a ball (driver) your swing path should be in-to-out to get a zero club path, whilst the opposite goes for an iron (hitting down on a ball). Also on #6, there's a net zero value that you can achieve in different ways to hit a straight shot. Very cool data and information.

Thanks for the post this looks like it will be a great read.
I'm in my development stage of my swing and once it's stable I'll be checking this data closely.

Thanks for the post. Really looking forward to reading this.

Thanks Pete for the info! Saving this to the computer.

Some ponderings on #6: this is why you see so many players go low and left in their exit with their irons (Tiger w/ Foley, Rose, Mahan). I also wonder if this isn't why Mcilroy is so consistent with his driver, since he's always coming a bit from the inside with it. Then you can also see why someone like Olazabal was so great with his irons but relatively poor with the driver since he basically swung his driver too much like his irons.

It's unreal the data they have at their finger tips now. Just swing harder! Cool video.

It's amazing the data they have available, I'm sure it really helps the tour pros. But I'm sure it could help us hackers as well!

Figured I could post this in here, what an awesome video with Foley and Rose.

Awesome video Thain, rep added!

I love all of the data that systems like Trackman can provide. Their newsletters are a wealth of information. By learning about how the ball moves in terms of face angle at impact vs club path, anyone can figure out why they are hitting the shot shapes that they are hitting.

I love how Foley is the only one who teaches this way. Trackman and him are a match made in heaven!
Awesome video Thain, rep added!

I love all of the data that systems like Trackman can provide. Their newsletters are a wealth of information. By learning about how the ball moves in terms of face angle at impact vs club path, anyone can figure out why they are hitting the shot shapes that they are hitting.

Pretty neat video. Kinda wish there were places here that had a Trackman for practice purposes. The vector ones are just awful.

I like the breakdown for initial ball flight direction. Most just say it's the face or the path. The combination makes more sense to me.
This can help...well, not intentionally fading or drawing, but it does give me a better chance at starting the ball on the desired line while trying to move it.

I like the breakdown for initial ball flight direction. Most just say it's the face or the path. The combination makes more sense to me.
This can help...well, not intentionally fading or drawing, but it does give me a better chance at starting the ball on the desired line while trying to move it.

Per trackman, face angle at impact is responsible for 85% of the initial ball flight direction off of the driver and 75% off of an iron. Getting the face square at impact is pretty important given those numbers.

Great video...lots of good info in there. I'm starting to come around on this Foley guy.

I still have never used trackman! I sure cant wait to use it someday and see what it can do for me.

wait wait wait. I just read a thread last night that teaching methods haven't evolved since 1995. So this thread is made up.

Have or havent?

The whole way we interpret ball flight laws have actually changed since 1995 lol.
wait wait wait. I just read a thread last night that teaching methods have evolved since 1995. So this thread is made up.

I love how Foley is the only one who teaches this way. Trackman and him are a match made in heaven!

At my GolfTec my last few lessons are on the flightscope tracker. It'll give you the face single and all which I have found very useful.

Using a trackman to get fitted for your clubs and shafts is the best thing you can do for yourself. I've used them and taken my son to get fitted for his using them. Most people just want to look at what their swing speed is. The ironic thing is that the fitters gethering the data aren't generally looking at the swing speed at all. Not saying it isn't a factor, but in the overall scheme of things, it is by far down the list of important and relavent bits of info to be gathering. The picture on the pdf newletter pretty well indicates that. All things considered equal, the angle at impact has a huge affect. It also brings in to question the old poll on here, would you rather be playing in the fairway, or gain 20 or so yards on your drive? You can really tune in and use this to become way more accurate and improve your distance using this tool. Great info in the newsletter and the video!!

Great video, thanks for sharing that, I've actually had the opportunity to use Trackman in my last 2 lessons and it's been really helpful to show what the path and face are and what I need to work on.

A lot of info on Trackman, Flightscope etc can be had on the Brian Manzella website. I was on a flightscope a couple years back, hadn't been on a Trackman yet.

For example when hitting upwards on a ball (driver) your swing path should be in-to-out to get a zero club path, whilst the opposite goes for an iron (hitting down on a ball). Also on #6, there's a net zero value that you can achieve in different ways to hit a straight shot. Very cool data and information.

Does #6 mean that we should be coming over the top for that out-to-in for iron shots?

Back