Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
As I've mentioned ad nauseum I'm getting back to golf in a big way after a very long layoff. Consequently I've been spending a lot of time on the range. I usually pull up to the bag drop, go into the pro shop, pay for some balls and go back to the bagdrop where whoever's there fills up a couple of buckets of balls. He never handles my bag because from there I drive over to the range in my car.

Do I tip the ballfillerupperguy? Occasionally? Never? All the time? (I never have because some mornings I get there before the pro shop opens and the guy takes my money and gives me balls, promising he'll give the money to the proshop later.) ??????

I would say yes. But only occasionally.

throw him a single each time....

I'm with JB - I wouldn't tip every time.

I think it's gotta be all or nothing, either you tip him every time or you don't tip him at all. If you tip sometimes, he might wonder what he did right/wrong to get the tip and try to duplicate that behavior..

On this topic, do you tip the guy who drives around in the cart handing out ice cold scented towels?

I've never seen that guy! Scented? What's the point of scented towels? The ice cold I get, but what's the point of scented towels?

I'd tip him, maybe not every time. He is doing you a service, and probably working for next to nothing:clapp:

Do you tip every time someone bags your groceries? I sure dont. So I wouldnt tip. Then again all the ranges and courses ive been to have a dispenser or have the buckets already done. Maybe id be more compassionate if i was in your position

Our club has a strict no tipping policy (except for caddies, who allegedly are independent contractors). The Christmas fund comes along in December, complete with a letter spelling out your suggested donation. All in all though, it's still probably less than tipping.

On this topic, do you tip the guy who drives around in the cart handing out ice cold scented towels?

Funny, I usually tip everyone else but that guy. But he is usually the starter at the place I play at that hands out the cold towels. I never noticed a scent to them.

Funny, I usually tip everyone else but that guy. But he is usually the starter at the place I play at that hands out the cold towels. I never noticed a scent to them.

Maybe because they don't smell like bacon? :pig:

Someone handing out cold towels? Another person filling buckets of range balls? None of that at the courses I play so no need to tip.

The folks I tip are the cart girl who usually gets at least $1 each time & the kid cleaning the clubs at the end of the rd I will usually slip him $5.

I say no tip.

Someone handing out cold towels? Another person filling buckets of range balls? None of that at the courses I play so no need to tip.

The folks I tip are the cart girl who usually gets at least $1 each time & the kid cleaning the clubs at the end of the rd I will usually slip him $5.

Same here. If the course has a cart girl (or guy) they always get a tip just like a bartender. And at the courses that have someone clean your clubs at the end of a round, I always tip that guy as well.

Have never expierenced those people.I guess we cut out out the middle man here.

I didn't tip him this morning. Nobody tipped me for filling their scripts for them. But Christmas was a bonanza.

I refuse to tip at coffee shops. I drink black coffee - it's not complicated to prepare so I'm not going to tip for that.

I refuse to tip at coffee shops. I drink black coffee - it's not complicated to prepare so I'm not going to tip for that.

I ALWAYS tip for any food or beverage served.

I ALWAYS tip for any food or beverage served.

:clapp::clapp:
After tending bar, etc. in school I came to appreciate the food/drink service industry a lot more. I always tip those folks something.

Same here, he usually gets $5. I just started thinking about it, he spends perhaps 45 seconds wiping off your clubs and he get's $5. I think we're over paying that dude, that's like $300 bucks an hour! Most of the time, it's a dirty towel they use and the never clean them thoroughly.

hmm..

As for the scented towels, yeah, they always smell minty... shrug, dunno why, but it's awesome! :)

The cart girl at Del Lago has a mister with icewater in it that she spritzes everyone down with if they want....I always tip her well. She came up with the idea on her own and I think that kind of enterprising thought needs to be rewarded. Also, she is my Gatorade connection, so I need to keep her happy.

I believe in meritorious compensation.

I tip folks who work, and work hard for a living. Screw off, don't take your job seriously, and your tip (or lack thereof) will reflect.

It made me think of a conversation (not for the kiddo's):

Spoiler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make ****.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ****ing guy who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your ****?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

Same here, he usually gets $5. I just started thinking about it, he spends perhaps 45 seconds wiping off your clubs and he get's $5. I think we're over paying that dude, that's like $300 bucks an hour! Most of the time, it's a dirty towel they use and the never clean them thoroughly.

hmm..

As for the scented towels, yeah, they always smell minty... shrug, dunno why, but it's awesome! :)

The bag drop guy gets $2 from me. $1 for loading my clubs on the cart and another dollar for mindlessly staring off into space while he pretends to wipe off my clubs.

Back