But Stacy Lewis has a potentially big career ahead of her and that is what the LPGA needs to showcase. You get someone watching casually and they see someone like Lewis and hear she is a rookie, that can help them for years to come.

What's amazing is how Meaghan Francella has been under the radar like that. Dare I say it--is it because she's not a babe?

No. Because neither is Stacy lewis.

By the way, bought my tickets for Friday's round tonight! Woohoo!:blob::blob::blob::blob:

That's GREAT soxy!!

I had no idea it was so certain you were going! I am SO jealous!

Please take lots of photos!

LPGA: Women's British Open, Captain's Conundrum: Golf Digest Magazine

Captain's Conundrum

Should U.S. Solheim Cup captain Beth Daniel tab Michelle Wie and Juli Inkster with her two captain's picks? As Ron Sirak sees it, how could she not?

By Ron Sirak
Photo by Stuart Franklin/Getty Images July 28, 2009

LYTHAM, England -- There are two players who are making Beth Daniel's job as captain of the U.S. Solheim Cup team a lot harder than it need be -- Juli Inkster and Michelle Wie. Inkster is just about everyone's emotional choice to be one of the two captain's pick for this year's competition, and Wie is the one the people who write the checks want to see on the squad for all the obvious public relations reasons.

The problem is that neither Inkster nor Wie have done a whole lot to justify a captain's pick, which will be announced following the end of play Sunday at the Ricoh Women's British Open. But among the reasons Daniel should chose both Wie and Inkster is the simply this: Those in front of them on the Solheim Cup points list have done even less to earn a spot on the team.

Ten players get automatic spots on the American team, and right now the only one in any real danger of falling off the squad is No. 10 Natalie Gulbis. She has 201 points, 24 ahead of No. 11 Laura Diaz. Here's how Gulbis can be passed if she finishes outside the top 20 this week and gets no points:

• Diaz finishes 14th or better.
• No. 12 Stacy Prammanasudh finishes 11th or better.
• No. 13 Pat Hurst finishes ninth or better.
• No. 14 Inkster finishes fifth or better.
• No. 15 Jane Park finishes second or better.
• Anyone from No. 16 Wie through No. 21 Michele Redman wins.

So let's assume Inkster and Wie do not get an automatic spot on the U.S. team. In fact, let's assume the standings are unchanged after the Ricoh Women's British Open. That means Diaz is No. 11, Prammanasudh No. 12, Hurst No. 13, Inkster No. 14, Park No. 15 and Wie No. 16.

Could Daniel possible pass over three players and select Inkster and skip four players to choose Wie? If she does, there will be voices of outrage from some players, but here's why she should do it.

First, let's make the broad case for Inkster. She's 49 years old and this will be her last Solheim Cup. She's been in the competition seven times and has a 14-8-5 record. No American has won more matches than Inkster.

Yes, Inkster has had trouble putting together four good rounds this year, but this would not be purely a sentimental selection. She still exhibits bursts of brilliance and still grinds with the best of them. She knows how to win.

Match play hides a lot of weaknesses, and you don't need four consecutive days of great play to contribute to the Solheim Cup team. And think what Inkster's presence will mean in the team room. She is a "Competitor" with a capital "C".

In making the case for Wie we also solidify the case for Inkster. Let's look at the players ahead of them on the Solheim Cup points list. Diaz has missed nine cuts this year, including the U.S. Women's Open and last week's Evian Masters, the two events before this week's point-closing Ricoh.

Prammanasudh has missed seven cuts, including the Evian Masters, and was T-57 in the U.S. Women's Open. And Hurst has missed four cuts, was a WD at the U.S. Women's Open and T-40 at Evian. Hurst, however, is the only one among those jockeying for a position on the U.S. team who has won this year. Park has four missed cuts, three WDs and no top-20 finishes since the first week of March.

No one in that foursome -- Diaz, Prammanasudh, Hurst and Park -- has been consistent this year, and no one qualifies as the hot player heading into the Solheim Cup at Rich Harvest Farms three week after the Women's British Open.

Inkster, on the other hand, has missed just one cut this year, a testimony to her grit. Wie has missed no cuts, has five top-10 finishes, including two of her last three tournaments, and has finished second once and third twice. With the possible exception of Hurst, Inkster and Wie are the best of the six players immediately outside the top 10. And don't forget that Wie didn't have the benefit of accumulating points last year since she wasn't a LPGA member then, which means her point total is artificially lower than it should be.

If there is a knock on Wie it resides in the fact that while those three top-three finishes shout of her considerable ability, they also whisper about her well-documented inability to close out tournaments.

It has been six years since Wie has won anywhere. And then there are those all-too-frequent cringe moments with the putter under pressure. Again, match play and team play mask weaknesses well, especially in alternate-shot and better-ball formats. Inexplicably, though, Wie has a spotty match-play record, losing to Morgan Pressel, Inbee Park and Yani Tseng in amateur competition.

Daniel is going to have a tough squad at Rich Harvest Farms, and her team will be the overwhelming favorite. Selecting Inkster would be more than an appropriate sendoff to one of the game's great players; her attitude would toughen the U.S. side's resolve and keep them from being lured into a letdown by their favorite status.

And the addition of Wie could have an enormous impact down the road for the LPGA. It could get her over the hump that has separated her promise from her performance.

Perhaps in that team room, alone with her peers, the real Michelle Wie will come out. Maybe in trying to win for her team she will learn how to win for herself. Think of what she could mean for that tour if she ever became a dominant force.

Perhaps Wie could spend a week watching firsthand the competitive fire that rages inside Inkster. What a learning experience that could be. Barring a seismic shift this week in the U.S. Solheim Cup points standings the two captain's picks should be Juli Inkster and Michelle Wie -- a ton of talent separated by 30 years.

Can someone please ask him if Wie has not done enough to be there, who has done more?

As I read it, I think he would agree. They've done little, but the others have done even less.

That's GREAT soxy!!

I had no idea it was so certain you were going! I am SO jealous!

Please take lots of photos!

I will definitely fill everyone in on the day, but since I am only going on Friday no cameras will be allowed. Sorry!

Can someone please ask him if Wie has not done enough to be there, who has done more?

I agree with WSE, that is exactly Ron's point:
The problem is that neither Inkster nor Wie have done a whole lot to justify a captain's pick....But among the reasons Daniel should chose both Wie and Inkster is the simply this: Those in front of them on the Solheim Cup points list have done even less to earn a spot on the team.

Yeah, I got that, but he is missing the point on Stacy Lewis. Inkster has done absolutely nothing compared to Lewis. She is part of the future of US golf, and Inkster is part of the past. A true legend and a great lady, but I do not see how she belongs on the team imho.

Just 'joined' but have read this whole thread. Agree with many that the LPGA 'should' be looking at the future. Not wanting to 'open a can of worms' but within the past week or so, I heard Beth Daniels state that both Jane Park & Michelle Wie had to do more than 'just' win a tournament IF they expected to make the Solheim Cup team. I've been trying to recall IF that was when she was announcing/interviewed on ESPN? Does anybody recall that. Also (this one REALLY bothered me), read some blogger(s) talking about with all the Koreans on tour will cause a 'backlash' that would keep Wie off the team. Now what IF she were to win this week...

One thing he didn't say about Inkster is that she'd bring some maturity to the team. Has anyone else played more than two Solheims? Beyond (and more than) the grit, Inkster has the experience many of these young women need.

And, to be a tad snarky, it's not like the European team is shaping up to be a powerhouse. I think the U.S. can win this one without everybody being able to play lights out.

Claire,
That is the very reason to pick the youngsters like Lewis and Wie. Because the US should win this one quite easily. You get to showcase what is possibly the future of US golf and experience most likely will not play a role.

U.S. Solheim contenders missing the cut this week:

Juli Inkster +10
Natalie Gulbis +10
Pat Hurst +10
Nicole Castrale +13
Stacy Lewis +13
Wendy Ward +13
Meaghan Francella +21

Laura Diaz can overtake Gulbis with a 14th or better finish.
Stacy P. can overtake Gulbis with an 11th or better finish.
Jane Park can overtake Gulbis with a 1st or tie with a 2nd.
Michelle Wie, Wendy Ward, Irene Cho, and Michelle Redman must win to overtake Gulbis.

If Wie, Ward, Park, Prammanasudh, or Diaz win, then they will leapfrog Lincicome. But Lincicome would still be in because a second place finish (60 points) would not allow any player to overtake her. (i.e., the top 9 on the Solheim Cup points list are safe.)

I think Stacy Lewis played herself out of a Captain's Pick. Pat Hurst as well. Meaghan Francella was never really in the running for a Captain's pick, but she is surely out now.

Wie, Diaz, Prammanasudh, Gulbis (if she falls out of the top 10), and Inkster (longshot) are still in it. But Wendy Ward needs to be considered now if she finishes better than the others who made the cut.

Last edited:
Wow--if Meaghan Francella had fallen off the radar, Wendy Ward was never even on it.

Has anyone else played more than two Solheims?

Just looking at my handy dandy guide here -

For the Euros, Laura Davies has competed a whopping 10 times.
For the USA, it's Beth Daniel - 8 times as a player, last year as an assistant cap.

For the USA, it's Beth Daniel - 8 times as a player, last year as an assistant cap.

Thanks, Ricey. I meant on the current team, or at least on the current top 10. Paula Creamer's been in two, but anyone else?

Granted, the Solheim Cup has a designated format, and there's no reason to change it. With the Asian dominance lately, we really do need a Lexus cup. It's like the second and third seed teams are playing each other in the big championship.

Thanks, Ricey. I meant on the current team, or at least on the current top 10. Paula Creamer's been in two, but anyone else?

Paula Creamer- 2
Christie Kerr- 4
Angela Stanford- 2
Nicole Castale- 1
Brittany Lang-0
Morgan Pressel- 1
Kristy McPherson- 0
Christina Kim- 1
Brittany Lincicome- 1
Natalie Gulbis-2
Laura Diaz- 4
Stacy P- 1
Pat Hurst- 5
Juli Inkster- 7

Wow--if Meaghan Francella had fallen off the radar, Wendy Ward was never even on it.

How about Jane Park as well? No where near on the radar, but at the moment she is tied for 10th. If she has a high finish that is better than anyone else, I think she at least gets a consideration. Probably not picked unless everyone else does horribly, but a new look.

Also an interesting side note, if Inkster is picked, this will be her 8th Solheim, which will tie her for the most by an American with Beth Daniel and Meg Mallon.

Paula Creamer- 2
Christie Kerr- 4
Angela Stanford- 2
Nicole Castale- 1
Brittany Lang-0
Morgan Pressel- 1
Kristy McPherson- 0
Christina Kim- 1
Brittany Lincicome- 1
Natalie Gulbis-2
Laura Diaz- 4
Stacy P- 1
Pat Hurst- 5
Juli Inkster- 7

Thanks, Soxy--don't know why I'd forgotten about Cristie. It's going to be a very young team.

I am thrilled Christina Kim is going to be on it again. My heart just went out to her when she didn't get a Captain's pick in 2007. She is such a hoot.

Ricey! :act-up:

I was just wondering where you had been hiding.

I am thrilled Christina Kim is going to be on it again. My heart just went out to her when she didn't get a Captain's pick in 2007. She is such a hoot.

I agree, I will definitely walk with her a while! :blob:

Ricey! :act-up:

I was just wondering where you had been hiding.

Under a "volunteer" apron.
Having an action packed summer in SF - a little baseball, a little golf, and a bit too much volunteering, but we're looking forward to our next event: Safeway Classic in Portland Oregon - will hope to post from there.

BTW - I Agree about Christina and the Solheim. She is fun to watch.

Under a "volunteer" apron.
Having an action packed summer in SF - a little baseball, a little golf, and a bit too much volunteering, but we're looking forward to our next event: Safeway Classic in Portland Oregon - will hope to post from there.

BTW - I Agree about Christina and the Solheim. She is fun to watch.

Good for you! But please check in more often! We love your stories.

Good to know my math was correct. I did, however, overlook the fact that Wendy Ward missed the cut. She's out.

LPGA Tour Article - Golf Channel

Gulbis on Solheim Hot Seat
By RANDALL MELL
Senior Writer, GolfChannel.com
Posted: July 31, 2009

Natalie Gulbis is vulnerable.

Brittany Lincicome is secure.

Michelle Wie can still make the U.S. Solheim Cup team on points, while Hall of Famer Juli Inkster can only make the team as a captain’s pick.

That was part of the Solheim Cup shakeup Friday at the Ricoh Women’s British Open, and yet the final makeup of the United States team won’t affect how massively favored the Americans will be based on how poorly key Europeans fared this week.

The top three players on the Ladies European Tour Solheim Cup points list all missed the cut with dreadfully high scores.

France’s Gwladys Nocera, who is guaranteed a roster spot based on her leading the Europeans in points, shot 91 in the first round and won’t be around on the weekend.

Spain’s Tania Elosegui and Italy’s Diana Luna, also in position to make the European team based on their point standing, both failed to break 80 on Friday. They also both missed the cut.

The European trio finished a cumulative 55 over par at the year's final major.

On the American side, nine of the 12 roster spots are set.

By missing the cut Friday at the Women’s British Open, Gulbis gave hope to a half dozen players who mathematically still have a chance to earn automatic spots for the Aug. 21-23 matches at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.

The top 10 in points when the event ends Sunday will make the team with American captain Beth Daniel filling out the 12-woman roster with two at-large picks.

Gulbis is holding the 10th and final spot.

By missing the cut, Gulbis assured No. 9 Lincicome will make the team.

No. 11 Laura Diaz, No. 12 Stacy Prammanasudh, No. 15. Jane Park, No. 16 Michelle Wie, No. 19 Irene Cho and No. 21 Michelle Redman all have varying degrees of chances to make the team on points.

No. 13 Pat Hurst, No. 14 Juli Inkster, No. 17 Wendy Ward and No. 18 Meaghan Francella missed the cut and can only make the team as captain’s picks.

Hurst, Inkster and Wie appear to have the best chances of being tabbed captain’s picks.

Here’s the lowdown for players on the American points list:

No. 11 Diaz – Having not earned a Solheim Cup point all year, Diaz needs to make the team on points. Finishing 14th or better would give her enough points to equal Gulbis for the last spot, given nobody else passes her. Diaz is 11 shots off the lead at Royal Lytham & St. Annes and is tied for 47th.

No. 12 Prammanasudh – Having not earned a Solheim Cup point in four months, Prammanasudh also can’t count on being a captain’s pick. She can overtake Gulbis on points by finishing 11th or better.

No. 13 Hurst – Missed the cut and can’t make the team on points, but the Solheim Cup veteran is the only player in contention as a captain’s pick who has a victory this season.

No. 14 Inkster – Missed the cut and can’t make the team on points, but the Hall of Famer is more than a sentimental favorite in her bid to make a last Solheim Cup team.

No. 15 Park – By winning, Park makes the team. With a second-place finish, she equals Gulbis in points at No. 10. Park is in good position, just five shots off the lead and tied for 10th.

No. 16 Wie – Must win to make the team on points, but she’s eight shots off the lead and tied for 25th. Wie, however, is playing the most consistent golf through the summer among captain’s pick possibilities.

No. 17 Ward – Missed the cut, no chance to make the team on points.

No. 18 Francella – Missed the cut, no chance to make the team on points.

No. 19 Cho – Must win to make the team on points. Nine shots off the lead, she’s tied for 32nd.

No. 20 Allison Fouch – Not in the field, no chance to make the team on points.

No. 21 Redman – Must win to make the team on points. Like Cho, she’s nine shots off the lead, tied for 32nd.

Back