reviews on golf equipment.

jefffann

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm always interested in reviews of clubs I might be interested in playing.There's something that never really happens though. All this new equipment is compared against each other but I've rarely seen it compared against previous equipment. I find it hard to fathom paying four or five hundred dollars for a new driver. I know that one that sold for that much a couple of years ago can be had for a fraction of it's original cost. It would be of interest to me to see how they compare against each other.What's your take on this subject.Or are most of you just interested in the newest and baddest out there?

Last edited:
Yours is a very good question, and/or post. :clapp:

I'm always interested in reviews of clubs I might be interested in playing.There's something that never really happens though. All this new equipment is compared against each other but I've rarely seen it compared against previous equipment. I find it hard to fathom paying four or five hundred dollars for a new driver. I know that one that sold for that much a couple of years ago can be had for a fraction of it's original cost. It would of interest to me to see how they compare against each other.What's your take on this subject.Or are most of you just interested in the newest and baddest out there?

I'm always interested in reviews of clubs I might be interested in playing.There's something that never really happens though. All this new equipment is compared against each other but I've rarely seen it compared against previous equipment. I find it hard to fathom paying four or five hundred dollars for a new driver. I know that one that sold for that much a couple of years ago can be had for a fraction of it's original cost. It would be of interest to me to see how they compare against each other.What's your take on this subject.Or are most of you just interested in the newest and baddest out there?

I don't think equipment companies would like to see that type of review :D

You are 100% correct. Our hybrid shoot out does have some previous models. However most of it has nothing to do with the club companies not wanting them to compare against the older stuff. It has to do with the club companies not producing it, and therefore having samples readily available to ship out.

As far as those comparisons though, I think it can help, and most stores carry the last years line, so people can always go hit the current with the previous.

If your swing is not that great it wont matter how old/new the club is.

If your swing is not that great it wont matter how old/new the club is.

In some ways, that is true, however equipment nowadays can very much help/compensate for hitches in swings.

In some ways, that is true, however equipment nowadays can very much help/compensate for hitches in swings.

Someone tell that to Charles! hehehe

I want to add one more thing to this. While I could see people wanting to see older clubs matched up with newer clubs in shoot outs, I am a little unsure how to incorporate older clubs into reviewing the newer clubs other than the normal stuff like the changes they are making or have made, which I think we do to an extent.

As clubs can only be a certain weight and size,changes are now more cosmetic than ever,a different colour should not be considered a new club.

As clubs can only be a certain weight and size,changes are now more cosmetic than ever,a different colour should not be considered a new club.

I think that is a great disservice to the hundreds of amazing club makers. While they can be a certain weight and size at a maximum, where the weighting goes and the shapes can drastically change ball flight characteristics.

I want to expand on this a little bit. If it were just cosmetics, clubs like the FTiq and FT9 would do the exact same thing. All the hybrids in our shoot out would perform the same. But it is not the case AT ALL.

I wasn't harping on THP's reviews which I consider quite informative and unbiased.I just think some of the new high dollar clubs might not perform significantly better than what they replaced considering the money you have spend on them.Especially when you have a comparison like those done in the THP shootouts where there are a diverse group of handicaps in those trying them out..

jeff,
I did not think that at all. Sorry if it came out that way. The reason the older models are not done in the shoot outs is that they are not readily available to the companies and they do not want to promote older clubs. Are they worth it? In some cases they sure are. Take the R9 and the Dymo for example. I was not a fan of either model last year and love this year. So it really does come down to the individual golfer.

Back