If Gulbis get's knocked off #10, I have to believe she comes back as a pick. Which casts into doubt who the other pick will be, if Wie doesn't earn that 10 spot. I would strongly prefer to see Wie over Inkster based on play, but as others have commented, the US team is highly favored, and Inkster *may* play better than her recent stroke play suggests in a match-play format; and if Daniels gets emotional, Inkster is certainly the top emotional pick.

Anyone up for Denver?

PARKER, Colo., Aug. 1, 2009 – Colorado Golf Club has been selected as the site of the 2013 Solheim Cup, as announced today by the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA).

“We are proud to announce that the 2013 Solheim Cup will played in Denver, one of America's great golf cities.” said Marty Evans, acting LPGA Commissioner. “Colorado Golf Club is one of the young giants on the golfing scene and we look forward to showcasing 24 of the world's best players there.”
The 2013 Solheim Cup will be the 13th staging of the event, which was started by Karsten and Louise Solheim, founders of PING and Karsten Manufacturing Corporation; PING has sponsored The Solheim Cup since its inception in 1990.

“Colorado Golf Club is an ideal choice to host the 2013 Solheim Cup,” said John Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “The Denver area has been a consistent and passionate supporter of women's golf for many years. Our goal is to provide the professionals a challenging test of golf in a setting that brings fans the excitement and enjoyment offered only when players compete solely for pride and country. Colorado Golf Club promises that and much more.”

“It's a tremendous honor to host the 2013 Solheim Cup,” said Mike McGetrick, a founder and managing partner of Colorado Golf Club. “I have had the good fortune to attend many previous Solheim Cups, and I know how exciting the competition is for both the golfers and the fans. This golf course will be an exciting stage for the matches.”

LPGA Tour and World Golf Halls of Fame member Juli Inkster, a veteran of seven Solheim Cups, has been a recent visitor to the venue, working with McGetrick, her longtime instructor.

“It's a very good match-play golf course and will make for a great Solheim Cup venue,” said Inkster. “There are so many strategies and options out there. Anything can happen on almost any hole, and then you have the risk-reward par-5s at 15 and 16 and a fantastic par-3 at 17. It will be a good test for all players. And, to combine it with a huge sports town like Denver, I know the event will be fabulous.”

About Colorado Golf Club
Colorado Golf Club, located in Parker, Colo., just outside Denver, will also be home to the 2010 Senior PGA Championship. Opened in 2007, Colorado Golf Club was designed by the team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. The Founders of Colorado Golf Club gave Coore and Crenshaw a single directive: Find the very best golf course the 1,700-acre piece of property had to offer. Situated on the broad foothills in the shadow of Pikes Peak, one of the country's most beloved mountains, the duo uncovered a layout that plays through ponderosa-studded hillsides, rugged ravines and washes and open meadows – all the while providing picturesque views of Colorado's Front Range. GOLF Magazine and Sports Illustrated named Colorado Golf Club the top new private course in America in 2007. The golf course debuted at 23rd on Golfweek's list of Top 100 Modern courses in 2009.

“It's a golf course that could only be here, only be in Colorado,” Crenshaw said. “This land is gifted for golf. We just followed where it led us, and the result is something unique, interesting and challenging, both for the membership and for tournament players.”

Colorado Golf Club is also home to a low-density community of 170 homes featuring more than 1,100 acres of protected open space. For more information, visit the Club's Web site, Colorado Golf Club - Home ____.

Cool, one of my golf-buddies' dad is a member at a couple clubs out there! She will be happy to hear this.

Watching the Women's British Open (extra delay to us today. ???) and just saw Judy Rankin's interview with Beth Daniels.

Here are my predictions:

If the top 10 stays the same, Daniels will pick Michelle Wie and Juli Inkster.

If Jane Park moves into the 10 spot, Daniels will pick Michelle Wie and Natalie Gulbis.

Wow--I can't believe no one beat me to this, but it's official--Wie and Inkster are the Captain's Pick. Excellent, if obvious, choices.

It's very cool that both teams were announced together. Though honestly, I think it's the only way the European Team was going to get any attention.

So, the American team:

Paula Creamer
Cristie Kerr
Angela Stanford
Kristy McPherson
Nicole Castrale
Christina Kim
Brittany Lang
Morgan Pressel
Brittany Lincicome
Natalie Gulbis
Juli Inkster
Michelle Wie

The European Team:

Glawdys Nocera
Tania Elosegui
Diana Luna
Laura Davies
Sophie Gustafson
Suzann Petterson
Helen Alfredsson
Anna Nordqvist
Becky Brewerton
Janice Moodie

Wait a minute--that's only ten players, because Anna Nordqvist didn't play enough points and Sophie Gustafson qualified both on money and rankings. If they go down two more players in the rankings, that would give them Karen Stupples and Catriona Matthews. I didn't see the official announcement--does anyone have the final list? After today, you pretty much have to have Catriona on that team, don't you?

The European Team:

Glawdys Nocera
Tania Elosegui
Diana Luna
Laura Davies
Sophie Gustafson
Suzann Petterson
Helen Alfredsson
Anna Nordqvist
Becky Brewerton
Janice Moodie

Wait a minute--that's only ten players, because Anna Nordqvist didn't play enough points and Sophie Gustafson qualified both on money and rankings. If they go down two more players in the rankings, that would give them Karen Stupples and Catriona Matthews. I didn't see the official announcement--does anyone have the final list? After today, you pretty much have to have Catriona on that team, don't you?

European Solheim Points
1 Gwladys Nocera 200.50
2 Tania Elosegui 138.75
3 Diana Luna 126.80
4 Laura Davies 119.55
5 Sophie Gustafson 118.00

Rolex Rankings
1 Suzann Pettersen 6
2 Helen Alfredsson 10
3 Catriona Matthew 14
4 Maria Hjorth 35

CAPTAIN'S PICKS

Becky Brewerton
Janice Moodie
Anna Nordqvist

That makes much more sense. Either they straightened out that part of the LPGA web site, or you found a better source.

goUSAtile.jpg

The Announcement:

2009 United States and European Solheim Cup Teams at a glance >>

2009 Solheim Cup Team Announcements
Press conference following the conclusion of the RICOH Women's British Open at Royal Lytham & St. Annes Golf Club
U.S. Captain Beth Daniel
European Captain Alison Nicholas

BETHAN CUTLER: Welcome to the announcement of the 2009 U.S. and European Solheim Cup Teams. On the top able I'd like to introduce Beth Daniel, the United States Team captain, and Alison Nicholas, The European Team captain. And I would like to acknowledge John Solheim, CEO and chairman of Karsten Manufacturing Corporations, the founding sponsor and partner of the Solheim Cup, Alexandra Armas, Executive Director of the Ladies European Tour; and Marty Evans, the Acting Commissioner of the LPGA Tour.
First of all, the captains will announce both players that qualified automatically for the team, followed by their captain's picks. So I would like to hand it over to Beth to announce the Top‑10 players who earned places on your Solheim Cup team.

BETH DANIEL: Thank you Bethan. It's a privilege to be here with the team from the United States of America.
First we have from California, she'll be making her third appearance playing for the U.S. on the Solheim Cup team and the leading U.S. points earner, Paula Creamer.
From Florida, making her fifth appearance on the U.S. Team, currently the leading money winner on the 2009 LPGA Tour, Cristie Kerr.
From Texas, three‑time member of the U.S. Solheim Cup team, Angela Stanford.
From my home state of South Carolina, a rookie on this year's team, Kristy McPherson.
From California making her second appearance on the U.S. Team, Nicole Castrale.
Also from California, making her second appearance on the U.S. Team, Christina Kim.
Making her first appearance on the U.S. Team, from Texas, Brittany Lang.
From Florida, making her second appearance, Morgan Pressel.
Also from Florida, second‑time she will be on the team, the 2009 Kraft Nabisco Champion, Brittany Lincicome.
And from Nevada, making her third appearance on the team, Natalie Gulbis.

BETHAN CUTLER: Now, Alison will announce the nine players who qualified for her European Team. First up will be the five players from the European points list, followed by the next four from the Rolex World Rankings. So over to you.
ALISON NICHOLAS: Thank you very much. It's a privilege to be the European captain, and I will announce my first five from the LET Order of Merit.
So first up is Gwladys Nocera from France with her third Solheim Cup appearance.
From Spain, her first rookie appearance, Ms. Tania Elosegui.
Another rookie from Italy, Diana Luna.
An incredible 11th Solheim Cup, the legend, Laura Davies.
And her seventh appearance in the Solheim Cup, from Sweden, Sophie Gustafson.
My four players from the Rolex World Rankings, from Norway, her fifth Solheim Cup, Suzann Pettersen.
From Sweden, her eighth Solheim Cup, first one as captain, Helen Alfredsson.
In third position, RICOH Women's British Open Champion, her third Solheim Cup appearance, Catriona Matthew.
And from Sweden, her fourth Solheim Cup, Maria Hjorth.

BETHAN CUTLER: Thank you, Alison. The moment we have all been waiting for, the picks, I would like to pass it over to Beth to announce the players you have selected for the United States.
BETH DANIEL: Thank you. Rounding out our team from the United States, this player will be making her eighth appearance, a member of the LPGA and World Golf Halls of Fame, Juli Inkster.
This player will be a rookie on the U.S. Team, from the State of Hawaii, Michelle Wie.

BETHAN CUTLER: Thank you very much. And now over to Alison to announce her three selections that she has chosen to represent Europe.
ALISON NICHOLAS: My three captains picks who will represent Europe in the Solheim Cup in alphabetical order: Her second Solheim Cup, from Wales, Becky Brewerton.
Her first Solheim Cup, from Scotland, Janice Moodie.
And from Sweden, the LPGA champion in her rookie appearance, Anna Nordqvist.

BETHAN CUTLER: Thank you, Captains.

Q. How difficult was it making those two picks?
ALISON NICHOLAS: That's the toughest day that I can imagine that I've ever had right now. It really gutted a lot of players in the mix. A lot of things happened today in the European rankings and the (Rolex) Rankings, and so it was a tough decision. But I felt this was from my heart and I know the players well, and I'm confident in what I've chosen, and I'm delighted in my 12 players.

Q. Did you have your team in mind or did it fluctuate over the course of these few days?
ALISON NICHOLAS: It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind and basically I probably fluctuated a little bit because there were several scenarios that could happen and some players would have gone into the World Rankings and some would have gone into the European rankings. I had my mind changed on Wednesday and probably changed it on Thursday to be honest with you. I made the decision fairly early today. I know there are a lot of disappointed ladies out there and that was a very tough thing that I had to do. I think for me, I'm delighted with these players, I'm so proud of them.

Q. How do you feel the balance and the strength of your team is?
ALISON NICHOLAS: I think we have a balance of youth and experience, and a lot of great personalities, and Anna's experience (laughter). Yeah, I think that balance is very important because the Americans are a very strong team, and I have the utmost respect for Beth and her players, and I've done what I think will make for a great match.

Q. In terms of your two picks, Michelle and Juli, was it a tough decision?
BETH DANIEL: Well, I think any time you're faced with a decision to basically leave some people out is very difficult. So I can relate to what Alison is saying. It's been a very tough four days.
And I'm delighted to have the two picks that I have to add to this team that is so talented. You know, I think we have a very strong team, but we have to watch out for these guys because they are going to be coming to get us.

Q. In terms of your team, how do you feel the balance of your team is?
BETH DANIEL: When we played at Crooked Stick, the perception was that the Americans were too old. (Laughter) Now I think that's changed completely. (Laughter) You know, we have a veteran right here in Juli Inkster.
We have some experience in the Solheim Cup on this team, but in terms of age, we have a very young team. And to me, that's really exciting, because this is the future of American golf sitting to my right, and it's a pretty exciting future.

Q. Michelle, your rookie year, what does a pick to make the Solheim Cup mean?
MICHELLE WIE: I am so honored and so thrilled. It was one of my biggest goals this year and I'm just so excited to be wearing this jacket and this hat and to be representing my country; it's such a thrill for me. I'm just so honored and so thankful that Beth picked me and I'll do my best not to let her down.

BETHAN CUTLER: How do you feel about being name to the European Team?
BECKY BREWERTON: Completely relieved. It was a long week. I actually went home to get away from all this, and when she called me, I was just thrilled. And remembering what my first experience was like, I was desperate to be on the team again and I'm happy she gave me the chance.

JANICE MOODIE: I would like to thank Alison for having the faith in me. I think my game is good enough. That golf course out there, I didn't play my best, but I'm just happy to be here and I'll start the ride home right now, I've been on two, and I've won two.

JULI INKSTER: There's always a first. (Laughter).

ANNA NORDQVIST: It's a great honor to represent The European Team here and I'm very happy, very thrilled, and this is something that everyone worked hard for and I'm happy to be on the team. I think I think it's an honor to be picked.
You know, I was disappointed I didn't play my way on, but I'm happy that Beth has enough confidence in me and my teammates have enough confidence in me that we can go out and play well as a team, and as Beth said, have some fun at it.

BETHAN CUTLER: How about Paula, I understand you are the top point‑scorer for the United States for the second consecutive Solheim Cup; how does that feel?
PAULA CREAMER: It's a great honour seeing these players here. The highlight of my career has always been Solheim Cup and I've said that several times to have a partner now be a captain is pretty cool. I'm excited to represent the United States. And I've been on two and won two, also. (Laughter).

BETHAN CUTLER: Laura, you're the only player that's played in every single Solheim Cup and so this will be your 11th appearance; would you like to say a few words?
LAURA DAVIES: I'm the only one that's old enough. Actually I'm very pleased I just got enough points to be on the team but we have a great team and they have a great team over there. I would say the golf course will be a big test for everybody.

Q. How does it feel to be a player now after being a captain?
HELEN ALFREDSSON: It's going to be so nice that I can ask to have a banana for lunch instead of delivering the banana for the whole team (laughter).
No, obviously it's something that it's been extremely exciting. I was happy to be able to do this, you know, one more time and some of the best memories in my golfing career were being captain of the Solheim Cup.

BETHAN CUTLER: Thank you all for joining us, and look forward to welcoming you to Rich Harvest Farms to the Solheim Cup August 17 to 23. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the transcript, Soxy.

ronsirakNot to toot my own horn -- OK, to toot it -- Inkster and Wie are the captains picks for the US Solheim Cup team, as I wrote last Tuesday.

Last Tuesday, I said that months ago! haha!:blob:

The final point standings for the US team top 30:
U.S. SOLHEIM CUP POINTS - 2009
Last Updated: Sunday, August 02, 2009
Rank Player Points
1 Paula Creamer 826.5
2 Cristie Kerr 735.5
3 Angela Stanford 579.0
4 Kristy McPherson 321.0
5 Nicole Castrale 314.0
6 Christina Kim 312.0
7 Brittany Lang 301.5
8 Morgan Pressel 277.0
9 Brittany Lincicome 250.0
10 Natalie Gulbis 201.0

11 Laura Diaz 177.0
12 Stacy Prammanasudh 170.0
13 Michelle Wie 166.5
14 Pat Hurst 164.0
15 Jane Park 156.0
16 Juli Inkster 152.0
17 Wendy Ward 132.5
18 Meaghan Francella 117.5
19 Michele Redman 97.0
20 Irene Cho 90.5
21 Allison Fouch 84.0
22 Stacy Lewis 76.5
23 Leta Lindley 67.0
T24 Jill McGill 58.0
T24 Heather Young 58.0
26 Reilley Rankin 56.0
27 Vicky Hurst 54.0
28 Katie Futcher 48.5
29 Sherri Steinhauer 45.0
30 Kelli Kuehne 42.0

Never mind the Solheim Cup hats--I want that bag!

Spoiler
Luckily for my budget, it's not for sale.

Do you think Ron Sirak reads THP and is just copying my ideas? First he takes credit for Inkster/Wie months after I predicted the captains picks and now this:

Making The Solheim Cup Bigger -- And Better
Ron Sirak has a way to broaden the scope of the biennial competition

A REVAMPED SOLHEIM CUP MIGHT CUT INTO THE U.S.'S DOMINANCE, BUT IT WOULD MAKE THE EVENT MORE INTRIGUING.

August 3, 2009
The Solheim Cup teams for the United States and Europe were finalized Aug. 2, setting the stage for the 11th edition of the biennial competition later this month at Rich Harvest Farms in Illinois. The Solheim Cup has grown in stature since it was first played in 1990, and the last three Solheim Cups -- two in Sweden and the 2005 battle in Indianapolis -- were wildly successful spectator events. This year's competition should have everything fans expect from a spirited team event, except one thing: Most of the best golfers in the world.
Five of the eight majors in the current Solheim Cup cycle -- the 2008-09 seasons -- were won by players not eligible to compete in the event: Eun-Hee Ji, Lorena Ochoa, Inbee Park, Jiyai Shin and Yani Tseng. Of the top 18 players in the Rolex Rankings, 13 are not eligible, six being from Korea, three from Australia, two from Taiwan and one each from Mexico and Japan.
This is a problem that needs to be fixed. Here's what can be done: Create three vertical teams: The Americas (Canada, United States, Mexico and South America); Europe/Africa and the Middle East; and Australia and Asia.
The event would remain biennial, but every two years the losing team from the previous competition would sit out. That would make winning the Cup all the more important, and recapturing it after a loss all the more intense.
Based on the most-recent Rolex Rankings, here's how the three squads would be comprised, with each player's Rolex Ranking position in parenthesis:
The Americas: Lorena Ochoa (1, Mexico), Cristie Kerr (3), Paula Creamer (5), Angela Stanford (7), Brittany Lincicome (20), Kristy McPherson (21), Morgan Pressel (23), Michelle Wie (27), Angela Park (29, Brazil), Brittany Lang (30), Nicole Castrale (39) and Juli Inkster (40).
Europe/Africa: Suzann Pettersen (6, Norway), Helen Alfredsson (10, Sweden), Anna Nordqvist (19, Norway), Sophia Gustafson (33, Sweden), Maria Hjorth (35, Sweden), Karen Stupples (48, England), Catrionia Matthew (64, Scotland), Sandra Gal (69, Germany), Minea Blomqvist (76, Finland), Giulia Sergas (79, Italy), Janice Moodie (87, Scotland) and Laura Davies (94, England).
Australasia: Yani Tseng (2, Taiwan), Jiyai Shin (4, Korea), In Kyeung Kim (8, Korea), Karrie Webb (9, Australia), Eun-Hee Ji (11, Korea), Song-Hee Kim (12, Korea), Ai Miyazato (13, Japan), Lindsey Wright (14, Australia), Candie Kung (15, Taiwan), Na Yeon Choi (16, Korea) Seon Hwa Lee (17, Korea) and Katherine Hull (18, Australia).
Women's golf stands to gain in one other important way if it adopts a global Solheim Cup: It would one-up the men. There are indications the Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup cycle is wearing on the top players, and it is only a matter of time before a Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson decides not to play in an international team competition every year. But because of the rich history of the Ryder Cup -- and the even richer revenue stream it provides for the PGA of America -- the U.S. versus Europe format is unlikely to change.
Who would be most resistant to altering the Solheim Cup team structure? Probably the Ladies European Tour. But the current method of choosing the European team -- in which five players qualify off an LET points list -- is what most weakens the European squad, and the event. Three of the players on this year's team are outside the top 125 in the Rolex Rankings. No one on the U.S. team is ranked higher than 52. In fact, seven European team members are ranked higher in the Rolex Rankings than the worst-ranked American.
Europe could undermine one premise of this argument by winning at Rich Harvest Farm. But even if the U.S. versus Europe format remains competitive (the Americans have a 7-3 advantage), the questions remains: What is to be done with those other great players currently excluded from the Solheim Cup format?
And here's one final reason to add a third team into the mix: It could motivate all sides to put more emphasis into developing junior golf. Who's going to want to sit home every other year and watch the other two teams play? It will grow the game globally, and it will make the Solheim Cup even better.

My original thread
How much does he get paid? :D:D

Do you think Ron Sirak reads THP and is just copying my ideas? First he takes credit for Inkster/Wie months after I predicted the captains picks and now this:

My original thread

It's just a matter of time before you and Harry are actually running the LPGA and getting paid for it.:D

One can only dream MO, one can only dream...

My original thread

Okay, so what we're saying here is that Soxy really IS Ron Sirak. Funny that he didn't even mention the late Lexus Cup.

Also note that adding Africa to Europe doesn't alter the team. With all the male golfers from South Africa, it's interesting that you don't get women.

Beth Daniels is getting some heat for picking Michelle. I really think that is by people who aren't paying attention to the actual numbers and how well Michelle has done this year over the other choices for the Captain's Pick. Just a little Michelle Wie backlash that I don't think she will get rid of until she wins a tournament.

Earned, Not Just Given

By RANDALL MELL
Senior Writer, GolfChannel.com
Posted: August 02, 2009
Rookie Michelle Wie earned her way onto the U.S. Solheim Cup team.

The American point standings may not say so, but U.S. captain Beth Daniel’s heart told her as much.

Named Sunday as one of Daniel’s two captain’s picks for the Solheim Cup matches Aug. 21-23 at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill., Wie adds star power to the event as one of the game’s largest draws, but Daniel insists Wie’s ability to boost TV and gate attractions isn’t the reason she selected her.

“Those things had nothing to do with it,” Daniel said Sunday in a telephone interview from Lancashire , England, site of the Ricoh Women’s British Open. “I told everyone that in my mind she earned her way onto the team. If someone had told me to pick Michelle Wie, it would have had no influence over me. I looked at all the stats and what’s best for the team. As captain, it’s my responsibility to field the best 12 players I can.”

Wie, 19, joined Hall of Famer Juli Inkster, 49, as captain’s picks.

Wie finished 13th on the final U.S. Solheim Cup points standings, notable because as a rookie she had just this season to earn her points in the two-year Solheim Cup cycle. Wie was sixth among Americans in points earned this year. Wie’s five top-10 finishes were better than any other player in contention for a captain’s pick. Daniel said Wie’s LPGA ranking this season as No. 1 in birdie average and co-No. 1 in putting also were factors.

“It was one of my biggest goals this year, and I'm just so excited to be wearing this jacket and this hat and to be representing my country,” Wie said during the announcement. “It’s such a thrill for me. I'm just so honored and so thankful that Beth picked me, and I'll do my best not to let her down.”

Paula Creamer was the leading point earner among the 10 Americans who earned automatic roster spots. Cristie Kerr, Angela Stanford, Nicole Castrale, Brittany Lang, Morgan Pressel , Kristy McPherson, Christina Kim, Brittany Lincicome and Natalie Gulbis earned the other spots.

Wie joins Lang and McPherson as Solheim Cup rookies.

“We have some experience in the Solheim Cup on this team, but in terms of age, we have a very young team,” Daniel said. “And to me, that's really exciting, because this is the future of American golf, and it's a pretty exciting future.”

Inkster will be the oldest competitor in Solheim Cup history. Throw her out, and the average age of the American squad is 26.0.

Daniel’s two captain’s picks were about youthful firepower and savvy veteran leadership.

While Inkster hasn’t recorded a top-10 finish this season, she brings a wealth of experience as a 31-time LPGA winner whose 14-8-5 record in seven Solheim Cups gives her more victories than any American in the history of the event. Her 16 ½ points equals Meg Mallon for most among Americans.

“Juli brings so many intangibles,” Daniel said. “She’s respected by the kids on the team, and she has so much match-play knowledge. She also brings leadership qualities.”

In choosing Wie and Inkster , Daniel skipped over Solheim Cup veteran Pat Hurst, who won the MasterCard Classic in March. Hurst , though, went cold this summer, failing to finish better than a tie for 40th in her last 10 starts.

“It was unbelievably tough to leave Pat off, and it just killed me,” Daniel said. “Definitely, this was the worst part of the job.”

The United States , which has never lost the Solheim Cup on its home soil (5-0), will be heavily favored against the Europeans. The Americans have eight players ranked among the top 30 in the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings, twice as many as the Europeans.

European Captain Alison Nicholas’ squad will feature Norway’s Suzann Pettersen as its highest ranked player at No. 6 in the world rankings.

England’s Laura Davies will tee it up for the 11th time in the Solheim Cup, making her the only player to compete in every Solheim Cup staged. She’s the event’s all-time leading point winner with 23 points.

Sweden’s Helen Alfredsson earned her eighth Solheim Cup appearance off the world rankings list, her seventh appearance as a player. She is the first in Solheim Cup history to make the team as a player after serving as captain. Alfredsson was captain when Europe fell two years ago in Sweden .

France’s Gwladys Nocera , Spain’s Tania Elosegui, Italy’s Diana Luna and Sweden’s Sophie Gustafson made the team off the Ladies European Tour points list. Scotland’s Catriona Matthew, winner of Sunday’s Ricoh Women’s British Open, and Sweden’s Maria Hjorth made the team off the world rankings list.

Nicholas named Sweden’s Anna Nordqvist, Scotland’s Janice Moodie and Wales’ Becky Brewerton as her three captain’s picks. Nordqvist won the McDonald’s LPGA Championship in June.

I read that Soxy. It is absurd. Nobody has played better outside the top 10 than her this year. How can they complain about her and not Inkster how has done nothing. I have said it before and I will say it again. While I think she brings great experience to an event, if she can't strike the ball, it means nothing. Next time they will have the same issue with these girls being young and do you just keep coming back to legends? Of course not.

Full size photo of the U.S. was tweeted.

Michelle Wie still looks like a 14-year old standing next to the other girls.

Spoiler
21378049.jpg

Our Solheim Cup Article Part 2 will be up tomorrow as Jason K is putting the final touches on it right now.

Beth Daniels is getting some heat for picking Michelle. I really think that is by people who aren't paying attention to the actual numbers and how well Michelle has done this year over the other choices for the Captain's Pick. Just a little Michelle Wie backlash that I don't think she will get rid of until she wins a tournament.

Didn't Wie get to where she is in one year and not the two it took the others? I think that would be enough to convince all the oppostition.

I look at it this way, it is win-win for Wie to get picked. First of all she is playing well enough to be there and secondly, she will bring more attention to the event, which the LPGA Tour needs. It will be tough for Wie if she doesn't play well and the US doesn't win, then Daniels will be criticized for picking her, but if they win and Wie plays well Daniels will be a genius. This pattern is the same way in the Ryder Cup it seems like every year.

Morgan Pressel continues to look really young, too.

I wonder how much the ratings/star power/LPGA struggles weighed on Beth Daniels's decision. It happened to be easy for her to pick Michelle Wie, but you can certainly picture scenarios where ability would point in one direction and star power in another.

Back