Just Not Good Enough

Diane

Reaction score
I know we've talked about this, but I still don't get it. Why is it that all the men in a foursome feel compelled to play from the same tees. If one or more guys are playing from the tips - they all have to and in most cases shouldn't be. I've heard some of you say it's easier if you all play the same tees. Nonsense - I play with men and I always play the forward tees - it doesn't take more time - probably because I'm prepared to tee off as soon as they finish. I can't imagine it's ego because the guys who aren't as good look like fools playing from the tips. It slows play for everyone else and it's painful to watch. :banghead:

I know we've talked about this, but I still don't get it. Why is it that all the men in a foursome feel compelled to play from the same tees. If one or more guys are playing from the tips - they all have to and in most cases shouldn't be. I've heard some of you say it's easier if you all play the same tees. Nonsense - I play with men and I always play the forward tees - it doesn't take more time - probably because I'm prepared to tee off as soon as they finish. I can't imagine it's ego because the guys who aren't as good look like fools playing from the tips. It slows play for everyone else and it's painful to watch. :banghead:

I don't play from the tips and never will in a foursome or not JMO I have cerebral palsy so that will never happen if someone forces me to play from anything other than the forward tees I'll tell them politely where they put their request and keep playing from where I started.

I always try & play from the tee's that yield a yardage below 6300. Anything over that & my game really starts to suffer as I am not a long ball hitter.

Have played the whites while someone else has played the blues & could care less.

Some of us are masochists

Just had this situation yesterday. My Men's Club picks a set of tees for everyone and since we have quite a few members who are over 70, they try to pick a yardage around 6000. Anyone who wants can elect to play the next set back (in yesterday's case, around 6500) and the guys in my group all decided to move back. I went with them even though I am not a long hitter.

I did it for a number of reasons, none of them ego. I prefer to be on the tee box with my playing companions, it doesn't hurt me to play some of my longer irons once in a while, playing the longer tees teachs me course management, and since the longer tees have a higher slope rating, it adjusts my handicap upward to compensate. I really have a problem forcing myself to take what the course gives me, but from the longer tees, it becomes a necessity. I really have to manage my game to keep the ball in the short stuff to have any chance.

If I am playing with strangers I have no problem playing from different tees but with friends we usually pick a good length around 6500. One real benefit to playing from the shorter tees with big hitters is that you can usually say you didn't see where their ball flew into the trees (as they usually do) and you can just play your game :D

Yes I have no patience for those that launch scud missles :confused2:

For those guys you described it is "ego" for the most part. I can play from the tips since I have that kind of game. By that I mean I shoot the same scores regardless of what tees I am playing. But there have been times I have moved up to play from the same tees as those I am playing with. Makes no difference to me. Once as walk on, I was put with 2 women who played from the forward tees. You guessed it, I played from the forward tees with them. :clapp:

I always try & play from the tee's that yield a yardage below 6300. Anything over that & my game really starts to suffer as I am not a long ball hitter.

Have played the whites while someone else has played the blues & couldn't care less.

FIFY and my thoughts exactly. Although slope rating comes into the picture as well.

When Golf for Women still existed, there was once an article--written by a man--about the different sorts of challenges on a course, playing from the forward tees. It was kind of interesting, but unintentionallhy condescending.

When Golf for Women still existed, there was once an article--written by a man--about the different sorts of challenges on a course, playing from the forward tees. It was kind of interesting, but unintentionallhy condescending.

If it's the same article I'm thinking of - I didn't find that unless you mean because he felt he had to explain to people why he was playing the forward tees. That didn't really bother me because I was amused that he was so insecure. I enjoyed the article because he realized how important his short game was after he shot the same score on the forward tees as he usually did on the middle tees.

If it's the same article I'm thinking of - I didn't find that unless you mean because he felt he had to explain to people why he was playing the forward tees. That didn't really bother me because I was amused that he was so insecure. I enjoyed the article because he realized how important his short game was after he shot the same score on the forward tees as he usually did on the middle tees.

There were a few articles in there with the same underlying attiude: Here I am, playing with the women, heh heh heh. Hey, wait a minute, it's not so easy! It felt like being patted on the head, at least at the outset.

There were a few articles in there with the same underlying attiude: Here I am, playing with the women, heh heh heh. Hey, wait a minute, it's not so easy! It felt like being patted on the head, at least at the outset.

We're thinking of different articles.

We're thinking of different articles.

Or remembering it differently.

There was also a self-congratulatory one by some guy 'fessing up that he liked to watch the LPGA--because it was more like his game. As if there wasn't a woman on tour who couldn't wipe the floor with him.

There was also a self-congratulatory one by some guy 'fessing up that he liked to watch the LPGA--because it was more like his game.

Sure you didn't read that here? I thought someone posted that here.

Sure you didn't read that here? I thought someone posted that here.

Oh, it shows up periodically on golf boards as well. And it goes back to the point of this thread--many folks indulge in that Internet Handicap Adjustment.

Oh, it shows up periodically on golf boards as well. And it goes back to the point of this thread--many folks indulge in that Internet Handicap Adjustment.

It was those 4 guys in front of us yesterday that made me think of this thread. One guy had game, but the other three should not have been playing the tips especially the one in the green shirt who looked like it was his first time out there.

I recently asked one of my friends this same question. He can not break 100, but when he does hit the ball (straight) it goes a long way. He usually plays the whites, but when we play with his one friend they both play the blues. His friend is basically the same skill level, doesn't break 100, but can hit it long. What his friend always says about playing the blues is that he "wants to play the course." What does that mean? That you want to get your a** kicked by the course?

I don't think my friend likes to play the blues, I actually think he is uncomfortable with it, but if his friend is playing, he can't then play the whites. What was that about ego?

I play the middle tees even if the other three I'm with play the tips. Don't feel the least bit of pressure to do otherwise.

I think some guys like to play the tips because they get more yardage for their money. I usually play whatever tees the players I get paired with choose, which seems to usually be the blues. I will play other tees without any fuss though, and I like to mix it up when I play a course a lot.

If I am playing with just my fiance, I will pick a tee box that evens out the distance advantage I have over her.

Those guys just want to lower their greens fee per swing as much as possible.

I play from where my partners are playing.

If it's up to me, I want to play 65-6700 yards, whichever tee set that may be. Why? Because I can find a bunch of courses in that length around here, and it's what I've grown accustomed to playing.

Should I? I don't know, and I don't care. I do like to play the 'harder' courses, I love the strategy, and the opportunity to use every club in my bag. I actually do like to get my butt kicked by the course. I want to come away feeling like I gave it all I had, and earned that score; though I do kick myself for leaving some shots out there that I shouldn't have.

I am with Gummi here, I play the tees my buddies want to play. Most of the time it is the "White" tees, but if they wanted to play any other tee that is fine with me. I could care less if we are playing a course at 6400 or 7400 yards and it has absolutely nothing to do with ego. My score(as well as my partners) will reflect the difficulty imposed by the increase of distance. We usually play the same few courses and it is nice to get a different look every now and then. Don't we all play golf for the challenge of it anyway??? Am I supposed to always pick a yardage that best suits my game???

I am with Gummi here, I play the tees my buddies want to play. Most of the time it is the "White" tees, but if they wanted to play any other tee that is fine with me. I could care less if we are playing a course at 6400 or 7400 yards and it has absolutely nothing to do with ego. My score(as well as my partners) will reflect the difficulty imposed by the increase of distance. We usually play the same few courses and it is nice to get a different look every now and then. Don't we all play golf for the challenge of it anyway??? Am I supposed to always pick a yardage that best suits my game???

Sweetie, you have a game that won't hold others up, regardless of the tees from which you play. You aren't part of the problem.

It is all about how well I am hitting the ball. I don't much care what tee box it is from as long as I am having fun. Friends and I will play from multiple tee boxes. Me and one other from the whites or blues, the others from the mid/forward tees, depending on the what is in front of them.

Sweetie, you have a game that won't hold others up, regardless of the tees from which you play. You aren't part of the problem.

So what is the problem then? I just reread this thread and thought I was answering accordingly. I didn't see the question posed as playing the wrong tees holding up play, more of an ego based question:confused2:

Back