ODSTBRIGADIER

Reaction score
Handicap
Mid-High
I'm am planning on purchasing an additional set of wedges that do NOT conform to the groove rule. I am thinking 52,56,60. What model should i get? I also want a groove sharpener-any good ones?

funny you ask this, cause i just picked up a 60 from tgw minutes ago, i bought the 08 vokey spin milled because i miss my 56 vokey

the 08s are on sale :D

I'm thinking of getting some vokeys since everyone seems to like those. The TM z tp wedges also look really nice though...

Pick your wedges by what you like.You have to like the shape of the club head. Z groove TM's will perform just as good as the Spin milled.Just depends on the shape,you like.Plus some come with a cool factory grind that can improve your wedge play.

IMHO, I'd say the wedges with the best grooves in no paticular order are

Callaway MD wedges,Vokey SM and TM's Z grooves.

I'm thinking of getting some vokeys since everyone seems to like those. The TM z tp wedges also look really nice though...

Pick your wedges by what you like.You have to like the shape of the club head. Z groove TM's will perform just as good as the Spin milled.Just depends on the shape,you like.Plus some come with a cool factory grind that can improve your wedge play.

IMHO, I'd say the wedges with the best grooves in no paticular order are

Callaway MD wedges,Vokey SM and TM's Z grooves.

Please do pick wedges that you like. I picked wedges based on others thoughts years ago and hated them.

As for best grooves, you might want to read our shoot out. To have a list and not have Cleveland on it for grooves is crazy. Eidolon as well.

You want some really nice wedges?

Try these:

655TM1.jpg

655TM2.jpg

Snake Eyes 655TM
I'll put these wedges up against ANYTHING the "brand name" market has to offer and I guarantee these will outperform all of them!

Soft forged steel, hits like a dream, spins like crazy!

-JP

Such a deal. I have those same wedges out in my garage gathering dust. Not as shiny as yours, even if I cleaned them up. :comp:

You want some really nice wedges?

Try these:

655TM1.jpg

655TM2.jpg

Snake Eyes 655TM
I'll put these wedges up against ANYTHING the "brand name" market has to offer and I guarantee these will outperform all of them!

Soft forged steel, hits like a dream, spins like crazy!

-JP

They are good wedges, no question about it. I played them for a while. But they are NOT of the same caliber in my mind as some of the stuff out right now.

May i point you in this direction:

Eidolon 56 Loft V-Sole Technology Wedge Rifle Golf Club on eBay (end time 05-Aug-09 01:45:38 BST)

eidolon wedges did well in the test recently and tbh i want to try them myself. I would be bidding on this item myself if it werent for two things:
1) I have a 56 degree wedge that is working well at the moment
2) the postage to england bumps the price up too high considering point "a".

Based on whether you like that...you could buy more eidolons to match...or frankly at the price it is at the moment chuck it or give away or sell it on.

They are good wedges, no question about it. I played them for a while. But they are NOT of the same caliber in my mind as some of the stuff out right now.

Of course not, they're in a class by themselves!

-JP

Had a couple snake eyes wedges in the past, never saw what the supposed big deal was. They ended up getting sold off.

The two biggest names in wedges these days are Vokey and Cleveland. I've owned both and used both and I don't like them. Despite all of the ad-speak about how metallurgy has changed over the years and the "science" of modern casting, both the Vokey's and the Cleveland's feel too "clicky".

My 655's feel like wedge's are supposed to feel and that's because they're forged. They're very soft and when I make contact with the ball there's a very solid and satisfying "thunk" - sort of like the way a well oiled and well used catcher's mitt feels when it grabs a fastball.

And the best part is that I didn't have to get on some ridiculous "waiting list" or pay some overinflated price for them. The head, shaft, grip and ferrule cost me less than fifty bucks per club and after I ground them down to my specs (as I've done with my wedges for years), I have a truly custom pair of wedges - real forged wedges - for less than the cost of a single cast Vokey.

Can't beat that with a stick (or any of those other wedges, for that matter) :thumb:

-JP

The two biggest names in wedges these days are Vokey and Cleveland. I've owned both and used both and I don't like them. Despite all of the ad-speak about how metallurgy has changed over the years and the "science" of modern casting, both the Vokey's and the Cleveland's feel too "clicky".

My 655's feel like wedge's are supposed to feel and that's because they're forged. They're very soft and when I make contact with the ball there's a very solid and satisfying "thunk" - sort of like the way a well oiled and well used catcher's mitt feels when it grabs a fastball.

And the best part is that I didn't have to get on some ridiculous "waiting list" or pay some overinflated price for them. The head, shaft, grip and ferrule cost me less than fifty bucks and after I ground them down to my specs, I have a truly custom pair of wedges - real forged wedges - for less than the cost of a single cast Vokey.

Can't beat that with a stick (or any of those other wedges) :thumb:

-JP

Keep believing the ad speak. :banghead:
All the club makers must be wrong about the forged/cast.
As for the Vokey, I dont care for them much either. But the feel of the Cleveland and the Vokeys are totally different. I play neither, but they are not anywhere near the same.

But if you are stuck on forged, then I guess you could say that all forged are the same too right? Callaway, Nike, Nickent, your brand, Mizuno, and all the others? Shape, weighting, groove size, etc all dont matter?

What works for you may not work for others. Hundreds of touring pros play cast wedges and not because they are paid to do so. Many are TM guys and use Cleveland or Vokeys, many are other brands that play even different brands.

In our testing with every brand out there, a cast wedge won, so those 18 guys must be different still.

My two Clevelands are the best wedges Ive ever used. Period.

Keep believing the ad speak. :banghead:
All the club makers must be wrong about the forged/cast.
As for the Vokey, I dont care for them much either. But the feel of the Cleveland and the Vokeys are totally different. I play neither, but they are not anywhere near the same.

But if you are stuck on forged, then I guess you could say that all forged are the same too right? Callaway, Nike, Nickent, your brand, Mizuno, and all the others? Shape, weighting, groove size, etc all dont matter?

What works for you may not work for others. Hundreds of touring pros play cast wedges and not because they are paid to do so. Many are TM guys and use Cleveland or Vokeys, many are other brands that play even different brands.

In our testing with every brand out there, a cast wedge won, so those 18 guys must be different still.

Hey, I know what I know.

I've been playing golf for forty years and a good portion of that was at or around a 2 handicap. I'm not saying that to brag about anything; I only mention it to point out that I know how to play this game, I know my way around a golf club and that I believe I know what a good club feels like and to me, these are good clubs - period.

I don't care about test results, polls, surveys, tour "bag checks" or whatever else is used to come up with whatever statistical data that's needed to sell the newest or "next great thing" I trust my eyes, my hands and my ears and they all tell me that these wedges are the best I've ever used.

As for everyone else, I can't speak for them. But they can't speak for me either, so we're even.

-JP

Reactions: JB
Hey, I know what I know.

I've been playing golf for forty years and a good portion of that was at or around a 2 handicap. I'm not saying that to brag about anything; I only mention it to point out that I know how to play this game, I know my way around a golf club and that I believe I know what a good club feels like and to me, these are good clubs - period.

I don't care about test results, polls, surveys, tour "bag checks" or whatever else is used to come up with whatever statistical data that's needed to sell the newest or "next great thing" I trust my eyes, my hands and my ears and they all tell me that these wedges are the best I've ever used.

As for everyone else, I can't speak for them. But they can't speak for me either, so we're even.

-JP

I think if you read my actual post I said that very thing. That clubs are different for everybody. Our shoot outs are done to take a whole lot of people that have nothing to do with the site or any company and figure out which one THEY think is best.

However it is possible that you like your wedges because of the metal used, the shape, the weighting, etc...and not because they were forged. Other wise, all forged wedges would be exactly the same.

What about Mizuno.They make a pretty solid wedge.I read some review where they placed pretty high with high handicappers...maybe that's why I like them ;-)

I think if you read my actual post I said that very thing. That clubs are different for everybody. Our shoot outs are done to take a whole lot of people that have nothing to do with the site or any company and figure out which one THEY think is best.

However it is possible that you like your wedges because of the metal used, the shape, the weighting, etc...and not because they were forged. Other wise, all forged wedges would be exactly the same.

The way I look at forged versus cast is the same way I look at real wood versus composite lumber. Composite lumber has come a long way from the standard "particle board", but no matter how well it's made or how many exotic materials are used in its' production, it will never feel and act like real wood.

Back in the early days of cast golf clubs, everything was made from 17-4 stainless and that was that. They all felt like granite, but casting allowed for more intricate shaping and weighting and it was that quality which established a market for cast clubs. Over the years, they've come up with some very sophisticated recipes for cast clubs that allow for a somewhat softer feel, but they can't change the fact that forged steel has a grain to it and cast steel doesn't - just as real wood has a grain and composite lumber doesn't.

It is that grain which provides the "feel" in a forged club. The grain allows vibration to travel through the entire head and that is telegraphed up the shaft (provided the shaft is steel) and into the player's hands.

Same thing with wood.

Knock on a piece of real wood and it "rings". If you knock on one end, you can feel the vibration at the other. Knock on a piece of composite lumber and all you get is a dull thud and the vibration doesn't travel the length of the board at all - in fact, there's hardly any vibration at all. I like that property of real wood - it's ability to transmit vibration - and I like that same property in forged steel. While all clubs may not be the same or provide the same feel, all forged metal has the same properties when it comes to transmitting vibration. It is the shape and mass of the head which makes the difference, but the inherent properties are the same, so in that sense, all forged clubs are the same just as all cast clubs are.

Ultimately, this is one of those, "Tastes Great/Less Filling" arguments that can never produce a winner or loser, but rather places people in two distinct camps where one will never completely agree with the other.

But I love to argue, so for me, this discussion is made to order. :thumb:

-JP

Actually this discussion is about wedges. You may want to find our cast vs forged thread to argue away. Your thoughts are different than just about every club maker in the world at todays time, but feel free.

Actually this discussion is about wedges. You may want to find our cast vs forged thread to argue away. Your thoughts are different than just about every club maker in the world at todays time, but feel free.

Well, no one's ever accused me of being a conformist, that's for sure.

-JP

I have played just about every wedge known to man. From Vokey, Maltby, Cleveland, Mizuno, Callaway, Snake Eyes, Infinity, Edilon.

There is one perfect wedge!

It is the one you like the best.

I love Vega wedges, which is the reason I am reselling them and will be having them forge my original SSB designs in the future. However I know people that love the Vokey's and Edilons and Mizunos and plenty of the others. I know plenty of other people that love the Vega wedges as well.

What is going to make a wedge feel different is the metal type used. If you find a wedge you really love and are looking for others that will feel the same look for similar designs(as many designs are alike in wedges) and made with the same metal. My favorite metal for wedges over the years have been 1020 and 1025/s25c. Almost all of my favs have been forged for this reason.

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in and vote for Eidolon, great wedges!

Back