We have one in Tampa, but its on my boycott list. They have ads in the menus, so I dont go...I know Im weird.

I have noticed that as well... they do the same here, like ads for celebrity portraits and other crap

Well I don't know about single malt scotch I like a good glass of Johnny Walker Black label and Makers Mark, but my Liquor of Choice Is good Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey Nothing Better Than "Old Grand Dad Baby" Just as long as you treat him with respect.....most people cant stomach whiskey thats why it's my drink.

A Second Vote

A Second Vote

Consider this a second vote for laphroaig. My other favorite is Oban.

As far as Bourbon's I'm a big fan of Bulleit and Black Maple Hill.

Welcome to THP Blakehall

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome to THP Blakehall

Gracias, kind sir. I figured my first post should at least be in a thread I know something about ;)

We are all fun here. Jump on in and have a blast. Huge contest going on right now.

Gracias, kind sir. I figured my first post should at least be in a thread I know something about ;)

Pffffttt! Why? None of the rest of us bother to make sure we know what we are talking about before we post!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP blakehall.

I've tried many different brands, and my favorites by far are the peaty single malts from the islands. Lagavulin and Talisker are my favorites, especially their double matured distillers edition bottlings. I also like Laphroiag.

I tried a drink at a restaurant that I absolutely loved. It was a vodka martini, but instead of vermouth, they added a splash of Lagavulin. Fantastic!

The great thing about single malts is there are so many unique flavors.

As for ice, neat, or a couple drops of water is the preferred method. But if you like ice, I say go for it!

I'm with SBC, Lagavulin and Laphroaig are my favorite single malts.

I've never had a glass of scotch before... mind you, I haven't had a lot of things in life

1.) piece of pie
2.) cigar
3.) scotch or any other fine sipping drink
4.) cheesecake

+1 for "Weirdest Thing I've Ever Heard!" :shock:

Not a whole lot that member does is normal.

My father is a huge scotch guy and his 70th birthday is in a couple weeks. In addition to a big party for him, my sister and I are planning to buy him 4 or 5 "high end" single malts (we both enjoy scotch, but have no real palate for it).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Macallans is the way to go, bit pricy but darn good Scotch.

Macallans is the way to go, bit pricy but darn good Scotch.

Well, we're looking at picking out bottles that average about $100, so only the highest of the high end will be cost prohibitive.

Abelour, Bowmore and Glenmorangie make suitable choices.

I quite like my Scotch. I bought myself a bottle of Johnie Walker Blue Label, which was just divine, but it's hideously expensive. I also bought a 20cl bottle of Glenfiddich 30-year old and that was as good, if not better than the Blue Label. The older you go the more expensive it gets. I saw a bottle of 55 year old at Heathrow airport one time for GBP5,000 in duty free. I didn't buy it. For some good ideas though, search google for the Brandy Library in Manhattan and check out their scotch listing. The prices are by the glass, but it will be cheaper at a liquor store.

My dad likes the peaty stuff like Talisker, but I prefer the smoother, less peaty ones. I will give the peaty ones a try though. One scotch which I do quite like is Bruichladdich.

Thanks guys. Good info!

As a followup, here's what we ended up getting:

The Balvenie - 21 Year Portwood
The Macallan - Fine Oak Series 18 Year
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Glenmorangie - The Nectar D'OR

We went with selections he wouldn't pick for himself. Thanks for your input!

I will wager that that is a fine selection. Hope he enjoys them (I have no doubt that he will)

I just thought I would share some tips for drinking whiskey from a true scotsman,

1 NEVER put ice in under any circumstances. It subdues the lighter notes too much.
2 If your going to add water use bottles as it wont have the taste of the chemicals used to treat the water. This allows you to taste the flavours and not the alcohol. (I find water in the states tastes really bad)
3 When drinking neat have a couple of sips just to get used to the sting of the alcohol, then enjoy the flavour.
4 Like wine swirl and enjoy the smell.

Enjoy.

I just thought I would share some tips for drinking whiskey from a true scotsman,

1 NEVER put ice in under any circumstances. It subdues the lighter notes too much.
2 If your going to add water use bottles as it wont have the taste of the chemicals used to treat the water. This allows you to taste the flavours and not the alcohol. (I find water in the states tastes really bad)
3 When drinking neat have a couple of sips just to get used to the sting of the alcohol, then enjoy the flavour.
4 Like wine swirl and enjoy the smell.

Enjoy.

Unless its a Blended god awful concoction,then treat it as you would a drain cleaner.

Just something for you cigar smokers to try is Dalmore Cigar Malt. It goes great with a good Torano. Another good mach is Macallums with a Fuente short story.

Back