BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Why? Seen many posts claiming they prefer playing very quickly.

Trust me,I hate 5-6 hour rounds just like many others do.I feel a round should be between 3 1/2 and 4 is perfect.
4 1/2 is tolerable,but not preferred.

Maybe I have a different mind set about being on the course then those who prefer speed.

I'm there to enjoy my time and not worry about anything else.I like the nature and the peacefulness of being on a course.

Golf is my tranquility and I enjoy my time away from work or home.so, I enjoy myself and I'm not in a hurry to bet back to either of my other options.

Not bashing,just curious on why the rush or the need to be quick.

I think everyone just has a prefered pace, I would love to play in 3.5 hours but around here it is just not possible. So knowing that I try to arrange it so I have all the time I need.

I like to play fast. I think for a 2 some it should be less than 3 hours and a 4 some should be around 3 to 3:15. I love being out there and play 3 times a week, but I have things to do. I have a special needs dog that has to go out every 4 hours. I have a wife I want to spend time with.

Others want to sit and wait between shots, that is not fun for me. I want to get to my ball, go through my routine and hit it. I want people to play ready golf and not follow each person around the course and wait around.

That is why I play during the week and play early.

I feel the same way you do about being on the course and I, too, believe that 3-1/2 to 4 hours is an acceptable pace. I don't know many who would argue that on here. I think what gets me is a group that is playing at a 5 hour pace and is 3 holes behind yet think they should not speed up nor let the group behind them through.

Advice to those people: If the group behind you is waiting on every shot and you can't see the group in front of you, MOVE OVER and let me through!!!

Maybe I have a different mind set about being on the course then those who prefer speed.

I'm there to enjoy my time and not worry about anything else.I like the nature and the peacefulness of being on a course.

I agree, but don't want to wait to hit either. I like a nice steady pace of play.

twosomes will always be quicker.Played many rounds in under 3 hrs.Normally these rounds happen due to being the first group out or within the first hour.

I don't mind playing quickly, but if I am not out on the course by 7:00 or so, then I am happy with a four hour round. A round at 3 to 3-1/2 hours is ideal but that doesn't happen too much. A 4-1/2 hour round is OK if it's a late-morning, early afternoon tee time, because I expect it at that time. More than 4-1/2 hours always sucks. The quickest 18 I played in a foursome was about 2-1/2 hours (maybe a little shorter, I can't recall exactly as it was 15 years ago!) and we teed off first. Only problem was the first hole was into the rising sun, but somehow we all found our ball.

Trust me,I hate 5-6 hour rounds just like many others do.I feel a round should be between 3 1/2 and 4 is perfect.

Golf is my tranquility and I enjoy my time away from work or home.so, I enjoy myself and I'm not in a hurry to bet back to either of my other options.

I'm with you on this one!

I actually feel somewhat cheated if I finish a round in less than four hours. I love the whole golf course environment and to me, a 4 1/2 hour round is just about right. Here on Long Island, a 4 1/2 hour round is not too common (more like 5 hours), but I honestly don't have a problem with it. I get to the course early, go to the range, go to the practice green and then play my round. Afterward, I'll go back to the range to either cement what I'm doing well or work on what I'm doing poorly. For me, a typical golf day is about eight hours, start to finish.

4 1/2 hours for a round of golf gives me the time I need to look over each shot, make careful decisions and I think it's a perfect speed. I used to play with a friend of mine who would always have some family thing or other event scheduled for later in the day and I can't count how many time he'd leave after 15 or 16 holes because he was going to be late if he stayed.

To me, if you have to be somewhere later in the day, either schedule it so that it's much later or don't play golf at all. I've never understood the whole "hurry up" attitude on golf courses. This is supposed to be leisure time and recreation. The rest of the week is all about schedules and deadlines, so why on earth would anyone want to deal with that on the weekends as well?

-JP

So with those thoughts, if someone has something else to do that day or does not want to wait in between each shot for 5 minutes, then they should not golf? That seems a bit short sided. With those thoughts, I should virtually never be able to play because my animal at home cannot be home for more than 4 hours by herself. I guess I should give up the sport...hehe

Or maybe the slower players that want to sit out there all day could let the faster players through. There is absolutely NO reason a 2 handicap player should take 5 hours to play a round unless they are stuck behind very very slow players. Or they have the pre shot routine of Sean O'hair.

So with those thoughts, if someone has something else to do that day or does not want to wait in between each shot for 5 minutes, then they should not golf? That seems a bit short sided. With those thoughts, I should virtually never be able to play because my animal at home cannot be home for more than 4 hours by herself. I guess I should give up the sport...hehe

Or maybe the slower players that want to sit out there all day could let the faster players through. There is absolutely NO reason a 2 handicap player should take 5 hours to play a round unless they are stuck behind very very slow players. Or they have the pre shot routine of Sean O'hair.

For sure,Faster players should play through.It irks me when the group in front doesnt allow us to play through.

Sometimes, you get out there and it's slow and no where to go.I don't like 5 hr rounds.It's boring sitting and waiting for every shot.

I've never been accused of playing slow.I'm very deliberate and have my routines and I'm also ready to play when it's my turn.

Slow play screws me up.I'm pissed having to wait.and it causes my mind to wonder off.
Super fast play also mess's with me.I never feel like I can get into my routine.I feel like I have to rush through my routine.

For a group of four, I'll take 4 hours plus or minus 15 minutes as reasonable. It isn't a race, it's a game of skill (theoretically), and for most courses the posted speed limit is in the 4:20-4:30 range. This is not a difficult target to hit.

I hate waiting on slow groups ahead of me, especially when they are slow because they spend most the time fiddling around instead of playing. If you want to have a conversation, fine, but do it while you are going to your ball, or while waiting on the tee box... not while I'm out in the fairway waiting for you to get around to putting out. Wait to mark your scores until you get to the next tee. Park your bag or your cart so that you clear the green as efficiently as the course layout allows. Don't wait for the guy across the fairway just because he's a few yards farther from the hole, if you're ready and he's not, play your shot. :golf2:

Be ready to play when it's your turn.

Follow a few simple concepts and no round should ever extend beyond 4-1/2 hours. I've played 18 holes on a 6500 yard course in a fivesome with money on the line in under 4 hours... and we played every shot by the rules. Anyone who says it can't be done needs to be reeducated. :stickbeat:

For a group of four, I'll take 4 hours plus or minus 15 minutes as reasonable. It isn't a race, it's a game of skill (theoretically), and for most courses the posted speed limit is in the 4:20-4:30 range. This is not a difficult target to hit.

I hate waiting on slow groups ahead of me, especially when they are slow because they spend most the time fiddling around instead of playing. If you want to have a conversation, fine, but do it while you are going to your ball, or while waiting on the tee box... not while I'm out in the fairway waiting for you to get around to putting out. Wait to mark your scores until you get to the next tee. Park your bag or your cart so that you clear the green as efficiently as the course layout allows. Don't wait for the guy across the fairway just because he's a few yards farther from the hole, if you're ready and he's not, play your shot. :golf2:

Be ready to play when it's your turn.

Follow a few simple concepts and no round should ever extend beyond 4-1/2 hours. I've played 18 holes on a 6500 yard course in a fivesome with money on the line in under 4 hours... and we played every shot by the rules. Anyone who says it can't be done needs to be reeducated. :stickbeat:

:banana::clapp::blob:

I couldn't agree with you more G.

I've played 18 holes on a 6500 yard course in a fivesome with money on the line in under 4 hours... and we played every shot by the rules. Anyone who says it can't be done needs to be reeducated. :stickbeat:

Totally agree on every point except the one I quoted. I'm not disputing it,I'm just saying that with you out in a fivesome (or even a good sixsome can play faster than 4 hours) other groups see it and figure if you can do it, why can't they? Well, because they suck but they don't see that. They see a fivesome when they were told it wasn't allowed.

Well it doesn't require a master's degree in differential calculus to figure out that if you have to be somewhere at noon, it's probably not a good idea to sign up for that 8:00AM tee time.

As far as 2 handicap players waiting; of what consequence is one's handicap if the entire course is packed? I don't care if someone is the "World Speed Golf Champion", if there's a group on the next tee and there's nowhere to go beyond them, then everyone is in for a long day.

If you're talking about playing alone or with just one partner and no one else on the course, then that's a whole different story. I played the best round of my life with a gentleman who (at the time) was thirty years my senior, on a 6,600 yard course - walking the whole way - in less than three hours. But that is hardly the norm for a typical weekend.

-JP

Fast, medium, or slow make little difference to me. I went to play golf, and the time it takes to play 18 holes is what it is going to be. I do prefer something close to a 4 hour round, and that is the norm most of the time. I tend to not play on weekends to avoid slower than normal play. But, I actually have spent 6+/- hours at a golf course many times counting the 18 holes of golf, and the hour or two spent at the 19th hole with my buddies....:clapp:

Well it doesn't require a master's degree in differential calculus to figure out that if you have to be somewhere at noon, it's probably not a good idea to sign up for that 8:00AM tee time.

As far as 2 handicap players waiting; of what consequence is one's handicap if the entire course is packed? I don't care if someone is the "World Speed Golf Champion", if there's a group on the next tee and there's nowhere to go beyond them, then everyone is in for a long day.

If you're talking about playing alone or with just one partner and no one else on the course, then that's a whole different story. I played the best round of my life with a gentleman who (at the time) was thirty years my senior, on a 6,600 yard course - walking the whole way - in less than three hours. But that is hardly the norm for a typical weekend.

-JP

I must not have that Masters degree. I have literally 4 hours to be gone from the home. It does not matter when I make my tee time or what time of day it is.

Some people want to be out there all day and that is fine. Some people want to stare over every shot like you do and that is fine too. However others have places to go and things to do, they should not have to give up the sport because of it.

I must not have that Masters degree. I have literally 4 hours to be gone from the home. It does not matter when I make my tee time or what time of day it is.

Some people want to be out there all day and that is fine. Some people want to stare over every shot like you do and that is fine too. However others have places to go and things to do, they should not have to give up the sport because of it.

Well all I can say is that for someone who stares over every shot, I'm almost always the first one on the green and the first one off the green.

When I'm playing alone and I get teamed up with a threesome using two drive carts, inevitably, the guy who's driving the cart alone will ask if I'd like to ride along with him and I politely decline telling him I prefer to walk.
I love it when I get that "rolling the eyes" look from all of them because they all assume that I'll be slowing them down.

Like most walkers, I'm very efficient in the way I move around a golf course in that I don't wander around like the cart drivers tend to do. I walk from "Point A" to "Point B" in as straight a line as possible and by the time I arrive at my ball, I've already sorted out what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it. I also tend flagsticks, fix ballmarks, rake traps, hand people clubs they've lain on the green and I'm generally all set to go on the next tee before they've even arrived there.

And throughout all of this, I take my time with each shot and if I have to occasionally look at a putt from the other side of the hole or if I choose to walk up to a green and check things out before hitting a pitch, I do that as well.

But I don't hold people up. In fact, it's usually I who is waiting for them. That's not to say of course that I've NEVER held anyone up, as I'm sure I have from time to time in the past, but I think I can say with certainty that that's something that rarely happens.

-JP

Totally agree on every point except the one I quoted. I'm not disputing it,I'm just saying that with you out in a fivesome (or even a good sixsome can play faster than 4 hours) other groups see it and figure if you can do it, why can't they? Well, because they suck but they don't see that. They see a fivesome when they were told it wasn't allowed.

My home course allows fivesomes only with certain restrictions. Just any group can't go out as five. All players have to be riding, and most importantly, they make a commitment to keeping up with the group ahead of them. If they fail to meet that commitment, they will all be asked to pick up and regain their place on the course. They agree to such conditions before they are allowed to hit off the first tee. As a result, fivesomes are quite rare, and usually only done by groups who play the course regularly, and those groups have no trouble keeping up.

For some reason if the pace is set by the speed of the group in front of me it doesn't bother me. If their pace is set by the group in front of them then it's all it can be. I hate being in a group that tongue wags on every tee when there's no one in front. If there's no one in front then I want to play.

I play fast, I don't mean to & actually don't think i'm playing fast but my wife says I do. Typically if the course is empty I can play 9 holes in 45-60 minutes for 9 holes riding. If I walk than it takes me 75 minutes. For 18 holes it's usually 2 1/2-3 tops but have played in as little as 2 hrs flat. I don't screw around on the tee box, don't take a single practice swing, typically don't lose many balls so i don't waste time looking for them & even when I do lose one I just say "screw it" & drop another. Not worth my time or effort to go digging in the bushes for 5 minutes for a lousy ball.

When I play as a foursome I am ok with a 4 hr rd, but if it begins to take longer than that I start to get edgey & irritated.

I like to play fast. I think for a 2 some it should be less than 3 hours and a 4 some should be around 3 to 3:15. I love being out there and play 3 times a week, but I have things to do. I have a special needs dog that has to go out every 4 hours. I have a wife I want to spend time with.

Others want to sit and wait between shots, that is not fun for me. I want to get to my ball, go through my routine and hit it. I want people to play ready golf and not follow each person around the course and wait around.

That is why I play during the week and play early.

I feel the same way, though I do occasionally play MUCH slower when I feel like it. But in the end 7 yrs of Jr and Sr High golf teams and 2 yrs as a coach while playing on a community college team ingrained the whole walk to your ball, address, hit, move so I'm biased.....

Though I will say that if my playing partners for the day do not want to play serious then I will relax and take however long they want to, though I will admit to tapping my feet if they think they are Tiger and constantly wait for ppl in front to move even if they couldn't reach with 250 tries!

Like most who play this sport/hobby it's gonna depend on the ppl involved. :D

Back