Notable disqualifications down the years

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
1940 U.S. Open

Ed (Porky) Oliver shot a 71 in the fourth round for a 287 total to apparently get into a playoff with Lawson Little and Gene Sarazen. But he was disqualified, along with five others, for starting his final round ahead of schedule. With a storm brewing, the six players dashed to the first tee. Former USGA administrator Joe Dey was the starter, but he was having lunch at the time. A marshal told the players not to start before their scheduled tee time, but they didn't listen and teed off. After the round the USGA disqualified E.J. Harrison, Leland Gibson, Johnny Bulla, Ky Lafoon, Claude Harmon, and Oliver. In the locker room, when told the bad news, Oliver broke into tears. Both Little and Sarazen insisted that Oliver be included in the playoff, but the USGA stood by its decision to disqualify the golfers

With more in the link

Sweet post, I still don't understand this one though. If he hit his ball accidently, isn't that his fault and still should have continued play as normal?

In the final round on the 17th hole, Davis Love III accidentally hit his ball on the putting green with a practice stroke. He did not replace the ball, two-putted from there, and scored himself as having made a bogey 4. However, he should have replaced his ball to the original spot before continuing to putt. Not doing so is a one-stroke penalty, and thus his score for the hole was actually a double-bogey 5. Officials found out about the mistake, but unfortunately for Love it was after he signed his scorecard. So instead of finishing T7th, he was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. The mistake cost Love $105,000 as well as valuable Ryder Cup qualifying points. However, he did go on to make the 1997 U.S. Ryder Cup team.

1996 Jamie Farr Kroger Classic

Meg Mallon took the first-round lead with a 6-under-par 65, but then the next day was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. She had stroked a putt that ended next to the hole and slowly moved for another 18 to 20 seconds until it fell in. At the time, she thought she made a birdie and signed her card for the birdie. But later on LPGA officials caught wind that it could have been a Rules infraction. After investigating the situation, the officials found out that Mallon did violate a Rule by waiting to long for the putt to drop and had no choice but to disqualify her because she signed an incorrect scorecard.

I don't understand...if the ball was "slowly moving" for18-20 seconds, was not she supposed to wait until it stopped?? + 10 seconds I believe??

1996 Jamie Farr Kroger Classic

Meg Mallon took the first-round lead with a 6-under-par 65, but then the next day was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. She had stroked a putt that ended next to the hole and slowly moved for another 18 to 20 seconds until it fell in. At the time, she thought she made a birdie and signed her card for the birdie. But later on LPGA officials caught wind that it could have been a Rules infraction. After investigating the situation, the officials found out that Mallon did violate a Rule by waiting to long for the putt to drop and had no choice but to disqualify her because she signed an incorrect scorecard.

I don't understand...if the ball was "slowly moving" for18-20 seconds, was not she supposed to wait until it stopped?? + 10 seconds I believe??

and the rule..
16-2. Ball Overhanging Hole
When any part of the ball overhangs the lip of the hole, the player is allowed enough time to reach the hole without unreasonable delay and an additional ten seconds to determine whether the ball is at rest. If by then the ball has not fallen into the hole, it is deemed to be at rest. If the ball subsequently falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke, and he must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole; otherwise, there is no penalty under this Rule.

I am confused...:banghead::banghead:

They didn't write that one correctly, because I am pretty sure if it is still moving like they stated, she is fine. What they should have said is stopped moving, stayed on the lip, then after 20 seconds dropped in.

Not only that, it is a penalty to hit a ball still in motion. So what's up with that?

Dent, I doubt that Meg Mallon would have let a ball sit for 20 seconds. You're probably too young to remember, but she was a major star on the LPGA 20 years ago. Not someone who would make that kind of mistake.

They didn't write that one correctly, because I am pretty sure if it is still moving like they stated, she is fine. What they should have said is stopped moving, stayed on the lip, then after 20 seconds dropped in.

Not only that, it is a penalty to hit a ball still in motion. So what's up with that?

Dent, I doubt that Meg Mallon would have let a ball sit for 20 seconds. You're probably too young to remember, but she was a major star on the LPGA 20 years ago. Not someone who would make that kind of mistake.

I am not an expert by any means, but in reading the rule it is specifically for a ball "overhanging" a hole, if the ball was anywhere else it would be allowed to continue until it stopped.

Harry it would not be hitting a moving ball due to the fact you are deeming it to be "at rest" if after 10 seconds it has not fallen in the hole.

Like I said I'm no rules expert but that is what I getting out of reading the rule. I can imagine that is very rare that a ball would hang over the lip for longer than 10 seconds in "motion" and not fall in. That is probably why they said if after ten seconds it hasn't dropped in the hole it is at rest. If not players may say it is moving and wait for a gust of wind or something to help them out and blow one in that is sitting on the edge.

Craig Mac,
After reading the rule, that is what I got out of it to...
And remember, moving does not necessarily mean moving in 1 coninuous direction..
It could be oscillating back and forth

Back