Coolest Names for a Golf Course.

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
Whether it be from historical greatness or just a well-chosen name, what are your favorite names for golf courses anywhere in the world?

Please list no more than one name per post. (A whole list of names wouldn't serve this thread well.) Thanks.

I absolutely LOVE the name Whistling Straits.

Bear Slide

For those in the IN area, it is worth the trip to play it as well. Great course.

Bear Slide Golf Club

I have been on a few courses that should have been named "Mulligan Paradise", where extra shots are the norm:clapp:

How bout Medinah? (Sounds exotic)

CT has a couple of courses with Indian names - Wampanaug Country Club and Pequot Golf Club.

Some of my favorites:

Dairy Creek
Sandpiper
Wente Vineyards
Cypress Ridge
Blacklake
Rancho Maria

and my runner-up favorite

The Valley Club

And the winner is:

El Diablo Golf Club

Please list no more than one name per post. (A whole list of names wouldn't serve this thread well.) Thanks.

We used to play a course called Shamrock Hills. Perfect name because of all the clover. Everywhere. Try to find your white ball when the clover is blooming!

How bout Medinah? (Sounds exotic)

That sounds like a stipper: "And now, on the main stage... Medinah!"

There really aren't any cool named courses around here. I guess that Hawk's Creek is going to have to be my submission. I'm not sure where the name comes from, but it's just down the street from Shady Oaks where Ben Hogan (The Hawk) spent his final years *I'm guessing at him being the namesake, I've never heard one way or the other, and so far, I like it. Don't squash my dreams. :D

I will always like the name Dubs Dread in Kansas City, KS since at one time it was in the Guinness Book of World Records (Longest Course) and I played it from the tips, over 8,000 yards. Once. It was stupid long. We didn't hold anyone up, as there was no one else out there at the time.

Perfect name because of all the clover. Everywhere. Try to find your white ball when the clover is blooming!

that makes me think of a nearby course with a not-so-spectacular name...Sentry World but it has a neat hole

sentry_world.jpg

Best (or worst?) named one I've played is a local executive course here. Played it once but doubt I'll ever go back:

Jo Daddy's

Crooked Stick is a cool name.

Kissing Camels Club

Rat River Golf

Spoiler
Hey--this can be my "What Are You Listening To?" style PW thread

There is a private club nearby called Wee Burn and another called Woodway - they always make me laugh.

Back