TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

Some excellent starts and early thoughts up in here, thank you all for that!

My interest has been piqued!

Some excellent starts and early thoughts up in here, thank you all for that!

My interest has been piqued!
I cant wait to tear the cover off the ball with this one, sir. The 13* setting as me intrigued...

12* driver... 13* 3W, that's how I roll. HAHA.

Nice initials thoughts and pics War and Jeff. I too like the head cover and the looks of this club. I did not really notice the graphics on the crown when I unboxed this, but now that I look at this again, I actually can see some benefit to them. I will def be looking at this on the range tomorrow to see what I think.

I cant wait to tear the cover off the ball with this one, sir. The 13* setting as me intrigued...

12* driver... 13* 3W, that's how I roll. HAHA.

Tight par 4 MONSTER dude. I love it!

Great job guys way to get it started. I have some pics and thoughts that I will post tomorrow. I am also hoping to get on the course and range Sunday.

I have the 15* 3 wood regular shaft.

Nice initial write ups. Some great pics in there too. Looking forward to following along.

I'd almost buy these, just for the head covers! Haha

I'd almost buy these, just for the head covers! Haha

Here is how awesome these head covers are. On my gamer three wood, I hated the head cover, so my Daphne's C.J. Dog always occupied that club since day 1. Since the RBZ comes with such a bad mamma jamma for a head cover, C.J. Dog gets to move where he belongs, watching over the "Big Dog".

From one Jeff to another, great stuff Jeff. I'm digging the head cover as well. The shaft graphics are kind of blah to me too. Kind of boring IMO. Wish they had gone for something a little more crazy. The crown and head cover are bold, why not keep the trend going with shaft as well?

First Range Session:

I was able to take the Stage 2 out for a brief spin today on the range and am liking what I am seeing so far. I did a disappearing act at work so I didn't have too much time on the range, but I got a feel as to what I might expect out of the Stage 2. I hit about 12-15 balls with the Stage 2 so these are just preliminary thoughts but I am seeing a much higher ball flight compared the first RBZ, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I should let it be known that I am a high ball hitter. Like really high.

Like the original, on solidly stuck shots, you feel like you are crushing the ball. It is a really great feeling. Back to trajectory, I was seeing the ball take off and begin its ascent very quickly and carry for a good distance. It's hard to tell on the range I was at if it was further than the OG but it was within the same area. As far as the height I was hitting the Stage 2, it remains to be seen how it handles high winds. The ball flight I was seeing would be great for attacking par 5s in two as I couldn't imagine the ball landing any other way than soft with minimal rollout.

Apart from a few balls from the tee, most of the shots I hit were from the deck as I was very interested as how the Stage 2 performs from the fairway, as I have a love/hate relationship with the original from the deck. As far as my initial range session goes, I had no problems with hitting the Stage 2 from the deck from my first swing. (Hopefully this is just not a honeymoon period like I had with the original). I had no idea what to expect, but I took an easy swing and made great contact and saw the ball take off high and straight and land just right of my target. I was impressed. Of the maybe 15 swings I took with the Stage 2, I only had one big miss--my typical big miss-- a hook from off the toe. Other than that, I saw a pretty tight dispersion and no issues from off the deck. Even though I didn't hit a lot of range balls, I tried to hit from a few different lies. It performed well from the fluffy lies to sitting down a little bit. I feel like if I just take an easy swing with this thing, I'm going to have a good result. The bigger cut I took at it, the more draw I saw on the ball, which is pretty standard for me, so real surprises there.

The Stage 2 sets up nicely at address and rests comfortably on the turf. I think there may be something to the shallower face and sole design.

Pic of the club face after the first shot:
9u6uneja.jpg

After the range session:
mezyjy8e.jpg

I was also interested in seeing how the Rocketfuel stiff shaft would compare to what I have in my Ping i20 (stock Ping x-stiff) and original Tour RBZ (Matrix Black Tie 7m3 x-flex). I think the higher ball flight I am getting from the Stage 2 is due to the different shaft properties. The Ping and Black Tie are low spin/low flight shafts. Not sure on the actual loft of either of the Taylormades but the Ping is 13.2. Almost 2 degrees less than the Stage 2 I am testing.

The Rocketfuel held up well and I didn't get a sense of it feeling "whippy" at all. Overall it feels smooth.

Long post, but I've got lots of thoughts even after a short range session. The Stage seems easy to hit and launch. Overall, I'm impressed so far and can't help but think Taylormade has made some improvements even though it feels like I was just hearing the buzz about some new 3 wood with some silly name a few weeks ago.

I should be getting on a launch monitor tomorrow morning so I will post the results assuming the massive 1-3" snow storm coming our way doesn't cause everything to shut down. (We don't handle snow very well in the South).

Great thoughts, Spicoli. Looks like you were having no issue striking the ball well from the word go. Glad to know I am not the only one that thought they could have spiced up the shaft graphics a little bit. It's a minor gripe, but a gripe, nonetheless.

Great Initial thoughts Jeff looks like you ball striking is not an issue

From one Jeff to another, great stuff Jeff. I'm digging the head cover as well. The shaft graphics are kind of blah to me too. Kind of boring IMO. Wish they had gone for something a little more crazy. The crown and head cover are bold, why not keep the trend going with shaft as well?

First Range Session:

I was able to take the Stage 2 out for a brief spin today on the range and am liking what I am seeing so far. I did a disappearing act at work so I didn't have too much time on the range, but I got a feel as to what I might expect out of the Stage 2. I hit about 12-15 balls with the Stage 2 so these are just preliminary thoughts but I am seeing a much higher ball flight compared the first RBZ, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I should let it be known that I am a high ball hitter. Like really high.

Like the original, on solidly stuck shots, you feel like you are crushing the ball. It is a really great feeling. Back to trajectory, I was seeing the ball take off and begin its ascent very quickly and carry for a good distance. It's hard to tell on the range I was at if it was further than the OG but it was within the same area. As far as the height I was hitting the Stage 2, it remains to be seen how it handles high winds. The ball flight I was seeing would be great for attacking par 5s in two as I couldn't imagine the ball landing any other way than soft with minimal rollout.

Apart from a few balls from the tee, most of the shots I hit were from the deck as I was very interested as how the Stage 2 performs from the fairway, as I have a love/hate relationship with the original from the deck. As far as my initial range session goes, I had no problems with hitting the Stage 2 from the deck from my first swing. (Hopefully this is just not a honeymoon period like I had with the original). I had no idea what to expect, but I took an easy swing and made great contact and saw the ball take off high and straight and land just right of my target. I was impressed. Of the maybe 15 swings I took with the Stage 2, I only had one big miss--my typical big miss-- a hook from off the toe. Other than that, I saw a pretty tight dispersion and no issues from off the deck. Even though I didn't hit a lot of range balls, I tried to hit from a few different lies. It performed well from the fluffy lies to sitting down a little bit. I feel like if I just take an easy swing with this thing, I'm going to have a good result. The bigger cut I took at it, the more draw I saw on the ball, which is pretty standard for me, so real surprises there.

The Stage 2 sets up nicely at address and rests comfortably on the turf. I think there may be something to the shallower face and sole design.

Pic of the club face after the first shot:
9u6uneja.jpg

After the range session:
mezyjy8e.jpg

I was also interested in seeing how the Rocketfuel stiff shaft would compare to what I have in my Ping i20 (stock Ping x-stiff) and original Tour RBZ (Matrix Black Tie 7m3 x-flex). I think the higher ball flight I am getting from the Stage 2 is due to the different shaft properties. The Ping and Black Tie are low spin/low flight shafts. Not sure on the actual loft of either of the Taylormades but the Ping is 13.2. Almost 2 degrees less than the Stage 2 I am testing.

The Rocketfuel held up well and I didn't get a sense of it feeling "whippy" at all. Overall it feels smooth.

Long post, but I've got lots of thoughts even after a short range session. The Stage seems easy to hit and launch. Overall, I'm impressed so far and can't help but think Taylormade has made some improvements even though it feels like I was just hearing the buzz about some new 3 wood with some silly name a few weeks ago.

I should be getting on a launch monitor tomorrow morning so I will post the results assuming the massive 1-3" snow storm coming our way doesn't cause everything to shut down. (We don't handle snow very well in the South).

Great stuff man. Really looking forward to your LM testing results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good pics by the testers. I'm liking the graphics on the club head, they are rather unique. The adjustability of the tour model is noice and it sounds like the CoG was moved to aid in a higher launch.

Spicoli what do you think are the biggest changes TM made from the original RBZ and the stage2?

Well I was unable to post my initial reactions and thoughts last night so here goes. Be kind this is my first THP testing go around. Please feel free to ask for anything and I will try and see if I can make it happen.

Unboxing- Right out of the box I like the looks of this club in person. I have been looking at various pictures online and from those I thought that the graphics and design would be distracting. I did not feel that way once I saw the club. The top of the club while at address is clean and sharp. I have never owned a club that has graphics on the top of the head.

IMG_20130215_175512_zps1f8aeb1e.jpg

The grip is quite plain but it is very similar to the grip that I have on my current 3 wood, I think this will help me mentally for both feel and looks.

IMG_20130216_084403_zps67656f81.jpg

Head cover- I really like the looks of the headcover. Again looking at other pictures I was worried this would be a bit too flashy for me but that is not the case.

Current 3 wood- Nike VR STR-8 FIT 15*

IMG_20130215_182826_zps65d6371c.jpg

IMG_20130215_182414_zps0615418a.jpg

Some of the pics are comparisons between my current 3 wood and the RBZ Stage 2.

Obviously I have yet to hit the club so I can not give any performance yet. I am hoping to get to the range today and play 18 tomorrow.

( Figured out how to embed pics)

Attachments

• IMG_20130215_175512.jpg
    IMG_20130215_175512.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130215_182344.jpg
    IMG_20130215_182344.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130215_182414.jpg
    IMG_20130215_182414.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130215_182826.jpg
    IMG_20130215_182826.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130216_084403.jpg
    IMG_20130216_084403.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great initial thoughts crest

Some good pics by the testers. I'm liking the graphics on the club head, they are rather unique. The adjustability of the tour model is noice and it sounds like the CoG was moved to aid in a higher launch.

Spicoli what do you think are the biggest changes TM made from the original RBZ and the stage2?

Good stuff, Crest. Can't wait to hear your thoughts and I know you are ready to take it out on its maiden voyage.

Tadashi, from what I have been reading, they have moved the CG forward and lower to help with launch and I think I was seeing some of that yesterday. To me, the biggest change is the shallower face and the fact that it is a slightly smaller profile design. The adjustments to the sole and as it has been mentioned, getting rid of the v design to make the sole flatter seem to help hitting the ball off the deck. I've only had one range session so it may be early to call but I think the Stage 2 may be more forgiving as well.

Great start, Crest. Enjoy it dude and have fun with your testing!

Spicoli, glad you have some insight in regards to the previous RBZ models. I had read before that the original RBZ fairways were a little tougher to hit from the fairway, so I was a bit skeptical of that going into this testing. Again, I don't demand much from my three woods from the fairway and other lies, but it is nice to know that if and when I do, it should be able to perform for me. Before my current gamer, I played a 910F and I just did not like that club at all. To me, this RBZ Stage 2 just feels and looks like the perfect mix of boss from the tee and comfort and confidence from a fairway or rough lie.

That Stage 2 looks like a mini driver compared to older 3Ws!!. Curious to read the testers thoughts off the deck.

Nice initial review Jeff Spicoli. I like that you were seeing a little higher ball flight. I tend to hit my current RBZ 3 wood a little lower than I'd like and have been pondering a Stage 2 17* but if the 15* is higher launching I may have to reconsider.

I received my Valentine's gift late Thursday night. Of course my computer decided to act up that same night. AND I've never uploaded any pics to a post, ever. But, here goes!

I got the 3W HL with the Matrix Rocket Fuel shaft at 60 grams in R flex. I'm having problems uploading pics. So, I'll just give some first impressions until I learn how to add pics.

The RBZ Stage 2 3W HL has a 17* loft. I have originally planned on comparing my R11s 15.5* FW to the Stage 2. However, with the 17* loft, I'll add my R11s 5W at 19* to also compare.

The RBZ has a bonded shaft not changeable as in my R11 3W. You also cannot change lofts or face angle as with the R11 3W or R11s 5W. It should be interesting when I'm able to get to the indoor range on Monday.

First impression: Very light weight shaft at 60 grams as compared to my R11 & R11s both at 70 grams. I hope to add photos as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I received my Valentine's gift late Thursday night. Of course my computer decided to act up that same night. AND I've never uploaded any pics to a post, ever. But, here goes!

I got the 3W HL with the Matrix Rocket Fuel shaft at 60 grams in R flex. I'm having problems uploading pics. So, I'll just give some first impressions until I learn how to add pics.

The RBZ Stage 2 3W HL has a 17* loft. I have originally planned on comparing my R11s 15.5* FW to the Stage 2. However, with the 17* loft, I'll add my R11s 5W at 19* to also compare.

The RBZ has a bonded shaft not changeable as in my R11 3W. You also cannot change lofts or face angle as with the R11 3W or R11s 5W. It should be interesting when I'm able to get to the indoor range on Monday.

First impression: Very light weight shaft at 60 grams as compared to my R11 & R11s both at 70 grams. I hope to add photos as soon as possible.
Canio: Good input. I am considering this one or the tour (adjustability of loft) so am interested in what you see.

My RBZ Stage 2 Tour will get it's maiden voyage to the range and then on to the course for 18 holes. I simply can not wait to get this guy out there.

I initially thought the same thing, saw it today at the golf store and it is not much bigger than my r11s.
That Stage 2 looks like a mini driver compared to older 3Ws!!. Curious to read the testers thoughts off the deck.

I think this thread will end up in me getting a RBZ Stage 2 3 wood... Just the head over alone.

As long as it's better then last year's off the deck, which killed that deal.

Love what I am hearing and seeing so far.

Excited!

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

My RBZ Stage 2 Tour will get it's maiden voyage to the range and then on to the course for 18 holes. I simply can not wait to get this guy out there.

Going out tomorrow myself. First swing with it, will be from the first tee and this hole is a prime example of how I will need this club to work for me. Can't wait!

Back