PING G25 Irons - THP Preview

I am an i20 lover but this set intrigues me. I don't mind playing a more forgiving set. This one seems to have nailed a nice balancing act. Plus I really want Recoils which are now available through Ping.

Keith I have hit the H4s and liked them. They are not Pings though lol. Not sure what I am going to do

I forgot to mention that on the LM yesterday I actually witnessed the ball spin back toward the flag with an 8 iron and a few shots. That was pretty cool.

Same here CL...I have several Mizunos I need to figure out what to do with.

I am an i20 lover but this set intrigues me. I don't mind playing a more forgiving set. This one seems to have nailed a nice balancing act. Plus I really want Recoils which are now available through Ping.

Keith I have hit the H4s and liked them. They are not Pings though lol. Not sure what I am going to do

I want to hit both side by side and compare the differences. Got to talk KB into a little ride up to the superstore and being so cold today, it might have to happen :D

I like it OG. A few flowers for KB and maybe you can get some Pings!

Went out and got some LM numbers today with 9i, PW and GW. So Im pretty confident with my starting points for yardages but sure on course yardages will differ somewhat. The real test comes tomorrow.

TapAhoy!

Went out and got some LM numbers today with 9i, PW and GW. So Im pretty confident with my starting points for yardages but sure on course yardages will differ somewhat. The real test comes tomorrow.

TapAhoy!

I hit the 7i in the bay at Roger Dunn. It got up REALLY high on me but I still got pretty much the same distance numbers that I get out of i20's. Around 175 pretty much every time and all these puppies wanna do is go high and straight.

Just order a set of these the other day from my local golf galaxy. Black dot, +1", oversized grips, steel stiff. Now the insufferable waiting game for them to arrive... I swung these and the Mizuno 825's for a good hour before finally deciding.
Sent from my Lumia 810 using Board Express

Congrats on the new sticks.

TapAhoy!

Most if my clubs have been graphite. I have compared both shafts and more times than not come out with better numbers and dispersion with graphite so I decided to stick with them for now. Im so used to.them now that anything else feels odd. This is my third or fourth set of PING graphite and have enjoyed each. Their shafts work well with their irons.

I would recommend you trying them to see how your numbers compare with steel. Graphite shafts have improved substantially in recent years but steel has some innovative lighter shafts too. See what the numbers say and they feel in hand.
TapAhoy!

Ok. I was able to get out today and test run the G25 irons. It was cool and the wind seemed in my face on every hole. Well my fist shot with the new irons was an iron from about 120 into the wind. I chose an 8 iron and set up to hit the green. I flushed it and the ball carried 130 over the right side of the green. That got my attention. I think the LM numbers are going to fairly close.

Next hole was an elevated green 130 yards with a left to right wind. I normally hit an 8 into that green and opted for 9 iron just to see what would happen. I hit the green but should have hit the 8 because I a 30 foot putt for bird. Walked away with par.

Rest of the front was trial and error and difficult to get correct yardages due to the wind so I clubbed up most of the day. Hit a few GIRs. Used my irons as much as possible. Set up was great. The non-glare certainly helps on a sunny day which today was. Contact was somewhat similar to my forged Mizunos however the ball still shot off the face of these clubs.

Ran through the bag and hit every club. Every club performed well. The short irons were exceptional today around the green. The LW and GW were used primarily for chipping with great results and allowed me to have seven one putts. The Seemore X3 worked nicely as well. They were a great combo. The G25s certainly get the ball up and out there quickly and I appreciated the forgivness on a few mishits. I didnt notice much loss in distance on those blunders.

Shot 43 on the front. Moved the back and started out great. I was laying up to my favorite 8 iron yardage but had to use a 7. Still hit a few GIRs. Was playing well until the 15th hole and the wheels totally fell off. I mean everything went south. the last four holes I went, Bogey, Tripple, Double, Double (the last two were par 5s). Did hit some good lay up shots with the irons. Ended up shooting a 47 on the back for a 90. Despite all the wind and first time out with the irons I felt really good about the round. I joined this club and have been playing it fairly regulary over the past month and my last four rounds have been between 86 and 90 from the second set of tees (approximately 6100 yds) using clubs Im used to playing. So to open up with a similar score on a tough day was encouraging.

Looking forward to the next time I can get out with these.

Seemore, these sound very promising. I know that playing your first round with these in the wind had to be challenging. Looking forward to your future reports. I am interested to see how these perform for you over time.

It was tough to get a good read on the distances but they sure felt good and the forgiveness is certainly there.

TapAhoy!

Ok. I was able to get out today and test run the G25 irons. It was cool and the wind seemed in my face on every hole. Well my fist shot with the new irons was an iron from about 120 into the wind. I chose an 8 iron and set up to hit the green. I flushed it and the ball carried 130 over the right side of the green. That got my attention. I think the LM numbers are going to fairly close.

Next hole was an elevated green 130 yards with a left to right wind. I normally hit an 8 into that green and opted for 9 iron just to see what would happen. I hit the green but should have hit the 8 because I a 30 foot putt for bird. Walked away with par.

Rest of the front was trial and error and difficult to get correct yardages due to the wind so I clubbed up most of the day. Hit a few GIRs. Used my irons as much as possible. Set up was great. The non-glare certainly helps on a sunny day which today was. Contact was somewhat similar to my forged Mizunos however the ball still shot off the face of these clubs.

Ran through the bag and hit every club. Every club performed well. The short irons were exceptional today around the green. The LW and GW were used primarily for chipping with great results and allowed me to have seven one putts. The Seemore X3 worked nicely as well. They were a great combo. The G25s certainly get the ball up and out there quickly and I appreciated the forgivness on a few mishits. I didnt notice much loss in distance on those blunders.

Shot 43 on the front. Moved the back and started out great. I was laying up to my favorite 8 iron yardage but had to use a 7. Still hit a few GIRs. Was playing well until the 15th hole and the wheels totally fell off. I mean everything went south. the last four holes I went, Bogey, Tripple, Double, Double (the last two were par 5s). Did hit some good lay up shots with the irons. Ended up shooting a 47 on the back for a 90. Despite all the wind and first time out with the irons I felt really good about the round. I joined this club and have been playing it fairly regulary over the past month and my last four rounds have been between 86 and 90 from the second set of tees (approximately 6100 yds) using clubs Im used to playing. So to open up with a similar score on a tough day was encouraging.

Looking forward to the next time I can get out with these.

Hey Keith........Sounds like your hitting the G25's pretty well. I bought a set too and finally got a chance to play yesterday with them. I tore up a groin muscle in my right leg and really haven't played in a month and a half so it was an adventure to say the least. Was hitting the ball OK but started to feel that muscle start to strain a little so I backed off. Going down to Orlando next month for a week and I really don't want to end being someone's caddy! Really need to hit my G25's some more because the yardages are a little off to what I'm used to. Of course my swing was more than a little off! Hope all is well and looking forward to getting out with you again, if this thing ever heals up right.

SMG, you have done a superb job in this thread. Thank you for all of the insight on the irons.

Congrats on the new sticks Lmaz and I should have known you had bagged a set. Hope you heal quickly. Just let me know when you want to get out again.

Thanks One-T! Its been fun trying these out early in the year.

My G25 5 iron arrived. Can't wait to pick it up later today. Last round I was 180 yards out to a down hill green so it prob playing 170. i flushed my 6 iron and ended up with a 5 foot putt. Don't ask about the bird but par is good.

Had another shot 160 up hill to green. Hit the 6 iron again and hit center mass on the face to within 4 feet. Made the bird.

I am really enjoying these clubs. Now Im debating the 4 iron vs hybrid. Will test it out today.

Short irons are still good. Had an awful time with downhill right lie and kept sh**king a GW. Need to work on that for sure. Slowly getting distances down. Have seen spin on PW. Hit green and it backed up three feet just off the green.

TapAhoy!

had a look at these yesterday and have to admit Ping have a winner on there hands with this set,not as wide as usual and not much offset and even top line is a bit thinner,dont no how the finish will hold up though but looking good

had a look at these yesterday and have to admit Ping have a winner on there hands with this set,not as wide as usual and not much offset and even top line is a bit thinner,dont no how the finish will hold up though but looking good

I thought the same thing. I thought they were the best looking G series irons in a long time. It was nice not seeig the back of the iron when setting up for a shot.

SeeMoreGuy,
I've got another question on the shafts. I'm usually between reg & stiff shafts. Do you avg about 160 to 170 yds with your 6 iron? How do the shafts seem to be holding up to your swingspeed?

My average with the 6 is realistically more closer to 160 yards maybe a bit more. Still trying to.distances. The shafts are great and are working well for me with a SS in the mid 70's.

Ordered the 4 iron today. Was having great striking day and carrying it about 184 rolling out to low to mid 190's. Good ball striking days always cost me money.

Tested the G25 Driver today and compared it to my Rapture V2 and honestly I was getting very similar numbers and my V2 has been cut to 44.75. Not enough to make change today.

G25 20* hybrid was money today. Consistently 190 with roll out to a out 205 - 210. Still need to compare it current hybrids but it looks promising. It is a very easy to swing.club. Previous testing I didn't.see.that much difference with my current hybos. More testing needed.

G25 Woods: Still undecided.on these. The more I swing hybrids to more I lean toward them. I like woods off the tee but am not consistent with them from fairways.
TapAhoy!

Back