How long does it take to get adjusted to new gear?

If it's fit to you, I would guess not as long. You might have to get used to distance, but being able to hit it should be fairly easy since they are to your specs.

Off the rack though, longer.

Drivers/ Fairways a couple of range sessions
Irons - it has taken a couple of Months

Drivers are easiest because I have one swing type that I use on all driver shots. I don't try to shape shots with the driver or get clever with it. Same with putters.
Irons take the longest because of all the different types of shots that I make. Also, predicting how irons will react with different turf conditions takes some time.

Takes me a few weeks to feel comfortable, but up to a year to really 'know' the club. All about confidence for me

Depends on lofts but generally I can pick up a new club after a few swings with it.

I'm not really good enough to have a learning curve with clubs. When I hit a bad shot 99.99999999999% of the time it's my fault.
I didn't know you had to be good enough to learn all the ins and outs of your golf clubs

Depends on the club. Driver is usually quick, where something like putter is a little longer (if shape or weight change).
Why do you think it takes longer with the putter?

I think of it fits you, and is the right equipment for your game, it takes no time at all. Car in point is the new TT irons from Cleveland for me. Immediate success the first time out with them.

I think of it fits you, and is the right equipment for your game, it takes no time at all. Car in point is the new TT irons from Cleveland for me. Immediate success the first time out with them.
But they weren't fit to you, we're they? How do you know your getting what you should be out of them?

But they weren't fit to you, we're they? How do you know your getting what you should be out of them?

Nope, they are stock. How do I know? Based purely off results on the course.

I didn't know you had to be good enough to learn all the ins and outs of your golf clubs

I didn't know there were so many ins and outs of golf clubs. If I hit the ball straight it is going to go straight whether I'm swinging my old clubs that I've used for a while or brand new ones.

Nope, they are stock. How do I know? Based purely off results on the course.
so you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't need a fitting. Off the rack suits your game.

I didn't know there were so many ins and outs of golf clubs. If I hit the ball straight it is going to go straight whether I'm swinging my old clubs that I've used for a while or brand new ones.
Do you just hit the ball straight? You have one shot in your bag? There are so many shots in the bag that I'm sure you attempt or have. That takes time to dial in with new clubs. At least it does for most.

Do you just hit the ball straight? You have one shot in your bag? There are so many shots in the bag that I'm sure you attempt or have. That takes time to dial in with new clubs. At least it does for most.

I pretty much just step up and swing and try to hit the ball on target. Usually when I try something fancy I screw up, so I try to keep it basic. I'm not good enough to be dialed in. If I can land the ball within 20 feet of my target I'm usually okay with that.

I pretty much just step up and swing and try to hit the ball on target. Usually when I try something fancy I screw up, so I try to keep it basic. I'm not good enough to be dialed in. If I can land the ball within 20 feet of my target I'm usually okay with that.
Fair enough, I get what you are saying. FWIW, I've seen your action and you are good enough. Put some time into it, I think you'll surprise yourself.

Fair enough, I get what you are saying. FWIW, I've seen your action and you are good enough. Put some time into it, I think you'll surprise yourself.

Thanks buddy. For now I'm just working on hitting it where I want haha.

So far it looks like folks get comfortable pretty quickly, I think that's good considering how often we change gear. But, do we really know what comfortable or adjusted is?

For me usually a range session or two. When I get something new I hope it's fit for me in the best way so the adjustments are small

So far it looks like folks get comfortable pretty quickly, I think that's good considering how often we change gear. But, do we really know what comfortable or adjusted is?
Being comfortable and getting the most out your clubs is two different things. And my feeling is that if it doesn't fit, there is no getting comfortable because you are more than likely getting false positives

I'm at the stage where I've made some big changes to the bag and going trough this process at the minute.

Driver has had 2 rounds and a session at the range, jut started to nail it.

Wedge is a little more tricky had it about 2 months and still can't get used to the spin.

New 4/3 iron that I've had bent is still on and off.

Putter was bang on with it very confident no problems with the transition.

Also looking for a 3 wood at the minute so another change at the minute

Took me about 2 weeks to get use to hitting my new irons (2 yrs ago) and the first few rounds were frustrating.

so you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't need a fitting. Off the rack suits your game.
You know, I have no idea. I've always played stock and have never once been fitted for irons. The truth is in the results for me, and the irons I have been testing out over the past few weeks have been without a doubt a great transition and a transition that happened instantly.

I'd guess it took me about 6-8 rounds to figure out distances when I got new irons last season...

Being comfortable and getting the most out your clubs is two different things. And my feeling is that if it doesn't fit, there is no getting comfortable because you are more than likely getting false positives

Interesting thoughts, I kinda agree. Do you think people mistake the two more often than not?

It takes me a looong time to get used to an iron set and lately it seems that I give up on the clubs too soon and try something else without giving them a fair chance.

I find I can pick up almost any driver and have decent results on the first swing, but drivers have a hard time outperforming the driver that I currently bag. I figure this shows that once I dial one in it does improve considerably.

I havnt experimented with very many wedges so I cant really speak to those.

Usually takes me a good 4 or 5 rounds to settle with clubs, but what's currently in my bag seems to suit me really well and I found them very easy to game right from the off.

It depends on the club for me. Surprisingly hitting irons is not the toughest for me.

Back