Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I couldn't hit these to save my life. Duck hook, slice, top, no clue what happened out there with those these on the range, but it was ugly for me.

I couldn't hit these to save my life. Duck hook, slice, top, no clue what happened out there with those these on the range, but it was ugly for me.

Look at address bother you? Just too much mass in the head?

Look at address bother you? Just too much mass in the head?

I'm really not sure, Cookie. Just couldn't get a good swing in with them.

I have to say, they are not pretty, but, then either am I. It is just easy to hit them for me. Sorry they don't work for you WE. I hated them last year, but, cutting down the offset and welding on a forged face and they are a different club. I said in the E7 thread, they are like cheating. I will reiterate, I didn't like the stock graphite shaft and bought them with the Adlila VS85 Proto.

Saw a comment in the hot list that got me thinking about these some more. Comment was specific to the 3 & 4 only being 2* apart right now with the 3i at 19* and 4i at 21*. I currently play a 3h at 21* and 4h at 24* before dropping down to the 3w at 15*.

With all that said, I am thinking of stopping at the 4i in these which opens up another spot in the bag. That's a good problem to have.

Saw a comment in the hot list that got me thinking about these some more. Comment was specific to the 3 & 4 only being 2* apart right now with the 3i at 19* and 4i at 21*. I currently play a 3h at 21* and 4h at 24* before dropping down to the 3w at 15*.

With all that said, I am thinking of stopping at the 4i in these which opens up another spot in the bag. That's a good problem to have.
That's a smart play Cookie. And, a similar reason as to why I will be going with 5-PW rather than 4-PW. Would like to have a high lofted hybrid, like the M4 or M5 was.

That's a smart play Cookie. And, a similar reason as to why I will be going with 5-PW rather than 4-PW. Would like to have a high lofted hybrid, like the M4 or M5 was.

I'm looking at 6-PW and going with a 3 and 4 H. I'll probably have a bit of a gap but the long irons and I traditionally don't get along so well

In some shape or form, these will be in the bag this year. I played the last 4 holes with just a 5 iron and loved every shot with it. And when I say I played the last 4 holes with just the 5 iron, I mean it. No matter the distance I used it (including putting).

How was your score JB?
Good to hear you liked them. I was able to try these only about 5 swings with a 6-iron both steel and graphite, I was catching it toward the heel and swing was probably off that day. I also didn't like the traction 85 steel shaft (I had these shafts in my CG16 irons) Cleveland uses in these and the graphite seemed to be more of the same for me at least.

LargePhil can you give use a comprehensive review of things you do and don't like about the Altitudes and how they are working for you, I would think that the short irons are not as versatile as a narrower sole club. Would that be fair to say?

How was your score JB?
Good to hear you liked them. I was able to try these only about 5 swings with a 6-iron both steel and graphite, I was catching it toward the heel and swing was probably off that day. I also didn't like the traction 85 steel shaft Cleveland uses in these and the graphite seemed to be more of the same for me at least.

LargePhil can you give use a comprehensive review of things you do and don't like about the Altitudes and how they are working for you, I would think that the short irons are not as versatile as a narrower sole club. Would that be fair to say?

Hard for me to gauge because I only had a single club. I was 2 over I think for the last 4 holes using only that 5 iron.

What was it about the shaft you did not like?

In some shape or form, these will be in the bag this year. I played the last 4 holes with just a 5 iron and loved every shot with it. And when I say I played the last 4 holes with just the 5 iron, I mean it. No matter the distance I used it (including putting).

That chip shot on 18 was seriously impressive. You hit that club really really well. On the one shot I hit with the 5 iron, I was pretty impressed. It is shocking how good they feel for such a huge head.

The hosel is not nearly as forgiving as one would think.

No matter how hard I try, I simply can not hit these irons.

I just died laughing..... again. That may have been the hardest I have ever laughed on a golf course. It is uncanny how much you struggle with those irons.

I love me a forgiving hosel

I just died laughing..... again. That may have been the hardest I have ever laughed on a golf course. It is uncanny how much you struggle with those irons.

I love me a forgiving hosel
It is unreal how bad I hit these. Every shot, every time, just miserable. At this point I think it's just mental, but these irons are just not good for me.

JB or anyone else how do these compare for you to the Mashie hybrids?
I would like to spend some more time with the Altitudes on the range especially on real grass. I just do not like hitting off mats, the only good thing about hitting indoors is getting the sim or LM numbers.

They are completely different than the Mashie hybrids. Both from the iron set and stand alone hybrids. Not sure if you are planning on being at any THP Events this year, but I will have my set out with me at each one if someone wants to try them.

That's cool, love reading this! Stock stiff steel flex I presume?

If that's correct, is the stock shaft worthy of consideration before automatically thinking Miyazaki, KBS, PX, etc?

If that's correct, is the stock shaft worthy of consideration before automatically thinking Miyazaki, KBS, PX, etc?

Stiff graphite stock shaft.

You should see me hit these...

Been going back and forth on these all day after using the 5 iron and I think this Saturday, I will bag a full set of them and see how it goes.

Been going back and forth on these all day after using the 5 iron and I think this Saturday, I will bag a full set of them and see how it goes.
I think you should, seeing as how you COULD NOT MISS with that 5i, I think it could be an interesting experience for you.

I will be anxious to hear how your experiment works out JB. I was just curious how the altitudes compared against the stand alone mashies JB, and I do understand how different these two clubs are but they are both hybrid type clubs.

I will be anxious to hear how your experiment works out JB. I was just curious how the altitudes compared against the stand alone mashies JB, and I do understand how different these two clubs are but they are both hybrid type clubs.
The hybrids in the Mashie set are more of a typical hybrid. The hybrid irons in the Altitudes are irons with a larger cavity and sole that have a hybrid type appearance.

Stiff graphite stock shaft.

Cool, thanks. Glad to hear the stock graphite is holding up nicely. I should not be so quick to assume that non-stock is needed.

Back