Eagles Sign Michael Vic

Osahar

Working on the swing
Reaction score
I will refrain from voicing my opinion on this topic in consideration of this being a family oriented site...:angry:

Considering that the Eagles' stadium has it's own jail, Vick should feel right at home with the stadium and the fans.

I will never forgive the Eagles fans for cheering in glee as Michael Irvin was carted off the field with a life-threatening/career ending spinal cord injury.

Agreed Harry. Irvin at the time was a pretty bad person, but there was no excuse for that. This signing made no sense at all imo. They spent a draft pick a couple of years ago on a young QB and and you are trying to make a run now (or so they say). THis only adds to the distractions.

Considering that the Eagles' stadium has it's own jail, Vick should feel right at home with the stadium and the fans.

I will never forgive the Eagles fans for cheering in glee as Michael Irvin was carted off the field with a life-threatening/career ending spinal cord injury.

Actually the new stadium doesn't have a jail. That idea died when the Vet was imploded

I will refrain from voicing my opinion on this topic in consideration of this being a family oriented site...:angry:

I'm not even an Eagles fan but I'm in complete shock. The town could bring out the torches pretty soon and march on down to the stadium after the 11 am press conf. :confused2:

Agreed Harry. Irvin at the time was a pretty bad person, but there was no excuse for that. This signing made no sense at all imo. They spent a draft pick a couple of years ago on a young QB and and you are trying to make a run now (or so they say). THis only adds to the distractions.

Agreed JB. The funny thing at the press conf last night was that no one asked 'why did you do this?' They say he's coming in as a QB but that can't work. McNabb isn't going anywhere yet and who knows what they do with Kolb (2nd rd pick) now. Vick has to be a 5-7 play a game gimmick guy at best.

*edit*

Turns out, I have nothing nice to say about the Eagles, or Vick.

Personally, I think they guy should be out on the bricks for life and banned from the league. Just wanted to make that clear since I didn't state it in the first post.

I'm wondering how much backlash they're going to get from the fans and community over this one? And I'm nowhere near a fan of PETA, but I do like the statement from their spokesman in the article. :clapp:

Well we don't know what future plans the Eagles have for Vick. It could be something as simple as just getting him back into the league. Then if he plays the QB position well enough, he could be traded for another positional player they might need. He was a decent QB at one time, and there are probably 4 or 5 teams that could use him right now at that position. I picked him up on one of my fantasy teams last night just for that purpose. All in all, I'm happy he has signed with the Eagles, because the Packers were also interested in him. I would have not liked to see him in a Packers uniform. :clapp:

Well we don't know what future plans the Eagles have for Vick. It could be something as simple as just getting him back into the league. Then if he plays the QB position well enough, he could be traded for another positional player they might need. He was a decent QB at one time, and there are probably 4 or 5 teams that could use him right now at that position. I picked him up on one of my fantasy teams last night just for that purpose. All in all, I'm happy he has signed with the Eagles, because the Packers were also interested in him. I would have not liked to see him in a Packers uniform. :clapp:

Ok that's a stretch. I think his best completion % was 56% or so? That's horrible, esp for a QB that ran a version of the West Coast offense. The Wildcat formation craze and the fact that the NFL is such a copy cat league may help Vick hang around a few more years instead of doing PETA ads the rest of his life.

The Eagles ownership obviously thinks there won't be significant PR fallout from this. I hope they are wrong. I hope it's a big mess.

As a Giants fan, this is just another reason to hate the Eagles.

Yeah cause the Giants don't have their own problems Grogger. And any Dallas Cowboy fan has absolutely NO room to comment. Come on give me a break. The guy committed some atrocities, but he paid his debt to society and now he's ready to help the Birds win a Super Bowl.

Osahar, I love dogs as much as anyone, but why should Vick pay with his career when hoodlums like Ray Lewis, Brandon Marshall, Adam Jones, Tank Johnson and too many others to name, have gotten a second chance? Is animal cruelty a bigger offense than sexual assault, spouse abuse or accessory to muder?

As for the strategic reasons this makes sense.

I'll give you one word to describe why they signed him - "WILDCAT"

Imaging trying to stop that formation with a guy who can not only run the ball, but throw it too. Andy Reid isn't always the best coach, but that guy can design plays with the best of them. I'd love to see a Wildcat package with Vick at the helm. Unstoppable.

Yeah cause the Giants don't have their own problems Grogger. And any Dallas Cowboy fan has absolutely NO room to comment. Come on give me a break. The guy committed some atrocities, but he paid his debt to society and now he's ready to help the Birds win a Super Bowl.

Osahar, I love dogs as much as anyone, but why should Vick pay with his career when hoodlums like Ray Lewis, Brandon Marshall, Adam Jones, Tank Johnson and too many others to name, have gotten a second chance? Is animal cruelty a bigger offense than sexual assault, spouse abuse or accessory to muder?

Imaging trying to stop that formation with a guy who can not only run the ball, but throw it too. Andy Reid isn't always the best coach, but that guy can design plays with the best of them. I'd love to see a Wildcat package with Vick at the helm. Unstoppable.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Chances are, vick will play some special teams and maybe some offense later in the season. Hes not in shape, and it will take him some time to get in the flow of things. Plus, he got a 2 year contact, with the second year as an option. And none of his money is guaranteed.

All in all, I think this is a good decision for vick and the team. And the eagles fans will get over it

Betcha McNabb has been lying awake, staring at the ceiling these past few nights.

-JP

Betcha McNabb has been lying awake, staring at the ceiling these past few nights.

-JP

why? because he heavily petitioned to get Vick here?

why? because he heavily petitioned to get Vick here?

Did he really?

I didn't know that.

I'm a Steeler fan, so I don't really care. I just think that two bulls in the corral tends to cause problems no matter how much 'Kumbaya' is going around.

-JP

Vick is going to wear #7....Ron Jaworski is crying behind his women's glasses somewhere

In my opinion, every single one of those cases should have been booted from the league as well. Playing in the NFL is not a right, it's an opportunity. If you are convicted of a felony, the commissioner should revoke that opportunity. Period. If they're not smart enough to keep their noses out of trouble on AND off the field, they don't deserve to be there.

They sure as hell shouldn't be held up as admired sports heroes by our nation's kids

The Eagles ownership obviously thinks there won't be significant PR fallout from this. I hope they are wrong. I hope it's a big mess.

If there was 1 town & team where Vick would fit in, Philly is it. He could probably kill dogs at halftime on the 50 yd line & the fans would cheer.

Funny how when Miami started the Wildcat last year all the pundits said it wouldn't last & would be a 1 year freak show thing. Now all the teams seem to be jumping on the wildcat bandwagon.

In my opinion, every single one of those cases should have been booted from the league as well. Playing in the NFL is not a right, it's an opportunity. If you are convicted of a felony, the commissioner should revoke that opportunity. Period. If they're not smart enough to keep their noses out of trouble on AND off the field, they don't deserve to be there.

They sure as hell shouldn't be held up as admired sports heroes by our nation's kids

Ray Lewis is the #1 reason I despise the Ravens, the guy got away with murder or at the very least knows who did the dirty deed. Scumbags like him & Irvin & Vick have zero business making millions of $$$ & playing in the NFL.

I don't believe Michael Vick's PR campaign at all. His 60 Minutes interview...he cried many, many nights knowing what he was doing was wrong? BULLSH*T. A poor tormented soul, not tormented enough to, I dunno, stop?

My favorite quote though - "As a dog lover, and I have dogs, I've gotten past this, and I just hope everyone else can, too." Oh you've gotten past it Michael? That's just GREAT! Like the rapist who tells his victim "I've let it go, can't you?" or the murderer who says to the mother "I've grieved and let my him go, why can't you?"

My rant; I'm feeling rather anti-BS lately.

I didn't watch the interview. Had no interest in what he had to say. I watched the post PGA stuff on the Golf Channel instead. Had I been painting, I would have watched the paint dry before watching that!

I didn't watch the interview. Had no interest in what he had to say. I watched the post PGA stuff on the Golf Channel instead.

I didn't either, but I keep catching clips of it on the news.

I am very conflicting in this whole thing and am not sure which side I am on. As an animal lover and a supporter of the humane society (charity raffle held here) the things he did were horrendous. However I am also a firm believer that if handled properly and done right, isn't the point of punishment for rehabilitation. For those that do not think it works, I can assure you in some cases it does.

While I hate the crimes that this man committed, at the same time nothing after the fact will ever please the hate. If he said nothing, people would say he is not sorry. If he did the interview like he did, people say its just PR. So in that aspect, nothing makes any difference.

Is he more upset that he lost everything and will never get it back? Absolutely. But if that is what keeps him on the straight and narrow, is that not what our judicial system is for?

Back