TBT's GOLFTEC Diary

Wow, that's a big difference

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Tim this is great! I read through the thread and you are well on your way. This methodology is definitely working. I hope we get to a round some tine somewhere to compare notes. :)

Thanks buddy.....the swingtip has helped quite a bit....it's always one of those things when you practice on your own you aren't sure whether or not you are doing it right. Being able to look at the swing arc and get feedback whether the clubface was square at impact helps you to know you are staying on the right track.

Thats great Tim, grooving the new feel and swing positions sure speeds up progress. I should start my own thread here soon.

Great writeup tbt, I'm going to try the alignment rod drill as I too struggle with flipping my hands at impact on my short shots

That idea of taping something to the wedge is a great idea. I'm gonna have to try that at the range. Thanks Tim and keep up the great work.

Great TBT, you'll be on fire for the Morgan Cup this year!

Great write up. And big difference on the chip! The end of chutting?

Great writeup tbt, I'm going to try the alignment rod drill as I too struggle with flipping my hands at impact on my short shots

Yeah, I kinda of figured....I was thinking of you when I wrote this one because we struggle with the same issue on the chips

Great write up. And big difference on the chip! The end of chutting?

I hope so....although I chipped like crap today even after the lesson yesterday....it's a work in progress.

I had my next lesson at GolfTEC this afternoon and things are really starting to progess. The only problem is Jerimy, my current instructor is being promoted to manage one of the other GolfTEC centers in Houston and will be handing me over to another instuctor after my next lesson. Hopefull since all their instructors teach the same methodology it will be an easy transition.

For today's lesson I began by hitting series of balls so Jerimy could see how I had progressed on the takeaway that we have been working on. After I hit about 10 balls we looked at the video and to both our delight, my clubface with almost dead square through the takeaway and all the way to the top! I told him that I had been hitting the ball much straighter over the past few rounds and I am sure this is the reason.

So today we decided to focus on my next big challenge, hitting the ball consitantly at the bottom of my arc. I told him that even though I am hitting the ball much straighter, I am still scattering in the fatties and thin shots way too often.

After watchin the video of my swing he explained to me that most people that struggle with this problem have a tendency to "sway" away from the ball on their back swing moving the weight too far onto the back foot which effectively changes the "bottom" of your swing...so if you don't come back into the ball just perfectly you will hit behind the ball causing the fat shot or if you try too hard to get your weight forward you move the bottom too far forward causing the thin shots.

So I needed to work on rotating my hips and shoulders around my right leg and keeping my head more centered over the ball on the takeway. To do this he placed a pole just outside my right foot that was on a pivoting base and lead and leaned it towards me so that it was inches from my hip. He had me take several practice swings trying to rotate my hips without hitting the rod and after about 10 minutes I was doing pretty well. Now it was time to hit a few shots and the results were pretty impressive...I hit 15 balls in a row with a nice crisp "ball first" contact and gained about 5 yards of distance over my earlier swings.

I am still "chicken winging" my left arm but that will be dealt with as we start to work on the transiton and release.

You can do the same drill we did today just by taking an alignment rod and sticking in the ground at a slight angle...now take your stance with your back foot against the rod, the angle should be to where you dont quit touch the rod with your hip....now take swings concentrating on rotating your back hip away from the ball without hitting the rod. You should find that you get better hip and shoulder rotation which will increase distance and you should stay more centered over the ball leading to more consitant contact.

Here is a video from todays lesson and as alwasy feel free to ask any questions or make comments. Thanks for following me on my journey.

Looking great Tim!!! You are really making progress my friend!!!

Thanks bro, it's a work in progress..but I think I am starting to finally get a little more comfortable with it and think the results are going to start coming faster now.

Tim, your swing looks better every single video I watch. Keep up the hard work man. It'll show off in MB.

Good stuff Tim.

I had my next lesson at GolfTEC this afternoon and things are really starting to progess. The only problem is Jerimy, my current instructor is being promoted to manage one of the other GolfTEC centers in Houston and will be handing me over to another instuctor after my next lesson. Hopefull since all their instructors teach the same methodology it will be an easy transition.

I don't think you have much to worry about there. You and I are thousands of miles apart but I hear exactly the same things from your instructor I hear from mine. Its almost eerie but I can hear Luke's voice in my head saying exactly the same things your instructor is saying. About the only difference are some of the drills you use. As an example the drill for sway you are using with the rod. I am using the block of wood under the outside of the right foot to do the same.

As for progress, you are looking better and better by the week Tim. My lessons are mirroring yours at the moment and I know how you feel. Making clean contact and hitting consistently sure feels good!

Love it Tim! Good work dude.

Good stuff Tim. Definitely some differences from the left video to the right video. I think once the grass range opens up I might try that drill with the alignment rod. Keep it up man you are doing great.

Tim, great work!

I really am impressed with where your game is going.

Tim this has been a great thread to follow along with and read about your progress. So much so that I have my first Golf Tec appointment this Sunday for a swing evaluation. I was really impressed with the use of video and sensors, I really think the visual feedback will help me to improve. I also am looking for drills and practice tips as well that I can do on my own to keep improving.

Keep up the great work man.

Good stuff Tim! It's it amazing how changing just those little things can cause great results down the road. Keep at it!

Wow Tim looks like you are making great progress.

Great progress Tim. Even all the way over here in UK, I was just given almost exactly the same advice today. I was finishing a club fitting, and the fitter showed me almost exactly the same issue by videoing me on his phone. After 10 minutes or so, I started seeing similar improvements. Excellent thread, really enjoying following it.

Good work TBT!

I don't think you have much to worry about there. You and I are thousands of miles apart but I hear exactly the same things from your instructor I hear from mine. Its almost eerie but I can hear Luke's voice in my head saying exactly the same things your instructor is saying. About the only difference are some of the drills you use. As an example the drill for sway you are using with the rod. I am using the block of wood under the outside of the right foot to do the same.

As for progress, you are looking better and better by the week Tim. My lessons are mirroring yours at the moment and I know how you feel. Making clean contact and hitting consistently sure feels good!

Glad to hear that you are doing well too. As far as the block of wood, Jerimy mentioned that too but I like the aligment rod better because I already have that in the bag.

Another drill I have been doing in the house is to take a stance with my right foot agaisnt the wall, then fold my arms across my body and work to rotate my hips and shoulders without getting near the wall....I have been doing 30 or so reps of that several times a day.

Tim this has been a great thread to follow along with and read about your progress. So much so that I have my first Golf Tec appointment this Sunday for a swing evaluation. I was really impressed with the use of video and sensors, I really think the visual feedback will help me to improve. I also am looking for drills and practice tips as well that I can do on my own to keep improving.

Keep up the great work man.

Congrats on getting started with GolfTec, I was hesitant to do it at first but I really like their approach and the video really helps to see what the instuctor is pointing out. I also love that you get a log in so that you can go to their website and pull up all the vidoes from every lesson at home...that way if I start struggling with an older issue I can go back and rewatch the lesson.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Great progress Tim. Even all the way over here in UK, I was just given almost exactly the same advice today. I was finishing a club fitting, and the fitter showed me almost exactly the same issue by videoing me on his phone. After 10 minutes or so, I started seeing similar improvements. Excellent thread, really enjoying following it.

It's amazing what a few inches can do to you in terms of ball striking.

I went to the range this afternoon and hit 2 buckets of balls with the alignment rod in the ground behind me.....out of probably 250 balls, I think I hit 2 or 3 slightly fat and only one or two thin...the rest were crisp and clean with a nice mid high ball flight and even had a slight draw to a few of them. Can't wait to hit the course this weekend...I am predicting a new personal best for GIR!

Glad to hear that you are doing well too. As far as the block of wood, Jerimy mentioned that too but I like the aligment rod better because I already have that in the bag.

Another drill I have been doing in the house is to take a stance with my right foot agaisnt the wall, then fold my arms across my body and work to rotate my hips and shoulders without getting near the wall....I have been doing 30 or so reps of that several times a day.

Congrats on getting started with GolfTec, I was hesitant to do it at first but I really like their approach and the video really helps to see what the instuctor is pointing out. I also love that you get a log in so that you can go to their website and pull up all the vidoes from every lesson at home...that way if I start struggling with an older issue I can go back and rewatch the lesson.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

It's amazing what a few inches can do to you in terms of ball striking.

I went to the range this afternoon and hit 2 buckets of balls with the alignment rod in the ground behind me.....out of probably 250 balls, I think I hit 2 or 3 slightly fat and only one or two thin...the rest were crisp and clean with a night mid high ball flight and even had a slight draw to a few of them. Can't wait to hit the course this weekend...I am predicting a new personal best for GIR!

You can do it big guy!!!

Back