Walking off the Golf Course in Frustration

I never have and I never will, but I've seen it happen. Usually by someone who just blows things up way out of proportion and needs to remember we don't play golf for a living, it's not that serious!!

The only time I have is when I was in a tourney. It was 35 degrees, the wind was blowing hard and it was raining. My playing partner hurt his wrist on 16. We finished the hole and as we were backed up on the 17th tee, we gave each other a look that said, "We're out of the running, wet, cold and you're hurt. So yeah..."

If the weather is not an issue and there's no injury, I will not. When I start playing horribly, I just turn it into a practice round and work on different types of shots.

I did it once when I was 18 (44 now) in the State Am. Walked off after the turn on the last day. Put the clubs in the trunk and made the 4 hour drive back home. Worst golfing decision I think I've ever made. If I could go back in time, I would kick my own a$$. Then, call my big brother and tell him to kick my a$$.

There is a HUGE difference between one of us walking off the golf course mid round and a pro. A pro makes his living on the golf course, that is his place of business, it is our place of pleasure and stress reliever, etc. When I have a bad day at work I leave the office and go to the golf course. I have no issue with any pro walking off the course mid round, shake the other players, caddies hands, etc and leave. If you do it enough times you won't have a place to work anymore.

In a competition round, never. I take my lumps.
With a group, I have once. In my defence, I peed blood at the turn and made my apologies before heading off to the ER. Wasn't much of a round anyway.
By myself? I've given it up after 9 or 6 (6 at my course comes to the clubhouse). I've got a membership, why not. Never quit on a round I've paid greens fees for.

I left whenever I felt like it when I belonged to my club last year. Never paid for a full round and took off, but that's because I'm cheap. I see nothing wrong with leaving if you're not enjoying the round. Sometimes you just want to go watch TV.

I guess I'll add that I wouldn't ditch my friends. I play by myself quite a bit.

Never Walked off... increased beer consumption and reduced expectations, but never walked off mid round.

I've walked off because of super slow play when the course was hopelessly stacked up, but never because I was playing bad. I'd miss a lot of rounds if that was the case.

Never have and don't think I ever will. First off, I paid for 18 so I will play 18 because to walk off is just a waste of money to me. Secondly, this is my recreational activity. I don't get paid to play golf so I always do my best, even on bad days, to enjoy myself and the company I am playing with.

Used to have a guy in our foursome that would regularly quit around 13 or 14. After the third time, he wasn't invited to play again.

I walked off a course once, but not only because I was playing poorly. I was on vacation and didn't realize that I only had 3 balls in my bag until I got to about the 12th hold and started imploding. I was furious, but I would have never considered walking off a course except that when I went to reach for a 4th ball, there was none. It was an unfamiliar course, and really in an out of the way area with very few rounds played and I had no clue where to try to just find a couple of balls in the tree line so that I could finish up. I got in the cart and headed back to where we were staying. Luckily, the next day I came out, bought a box of balls and played one of the best rounds of my life :)

I've left after 9 holes a few times. Sometimes the swing just isn't there and there's nothing i can do to make it better. I know golf is supposed to be fun, but it's no fun when you have the shanks. I just asked the guys if it was ok if i skipped the back (I'd never do it if there was a money game). I don't want to wreck the other guy's round. Most of the time i'd hit the range and try and fix the swing. I never looked at it as bad thing. Just something you have to do time to time.

Not sure why people are so down on folks for leaving at the turn. If you're respectful to the group you're with i see no problem with it. Nobody feels worse than the guy making the walk of shame to the parking lot.

Unless I physically cannot swing the golf club I don't see myself quitting an 18 hole round. I have left because of slow play, like Smalls said, but only once or twice. And we're talking 6 hour round pace. Brutal.

I've never walked off before. Once when I was younger I got really frustrated and took 2 holes off and just rode in the cart. Got myself back together and reminded myself it's just for fun and played the rest of the round.

I walked off the course after 12 holes worth of skulls and shanks with every iron/wedge once last spring...the harder I tried to correct my contact issues the worse it got..this happened on the heels of 3 rounds at or below 80 and I was on pace to put a 120 on the card that day... I wouldn't say I walked off in anger..yes a bit of frustration, but mainly the reason I stopped is because I felt like all I was doing was reinforcing a horrible swing to muscle memory and that i should get away and try to wipe the slate clean before I came back...I took a half hour lunch break and hit some range balls but was still struggling so I called it a day... I came back 4 days later and was hitting the ball pretty solid, shot 82 from the blues, and decided stopping that day was the right decision.

I have walked off the course 3 or 4 times in the last year completely angry/frustrated, but it was due to slow play, not my ball striking. I just can't give 6-7 hours to a round of golf, and can't play at the level I expect when I have to wait 10 minutes between every swing. When I spend 6 hours on a golf course it's going to be because I looped twice. (which I do frequently)

I was playing alone or with my son who can only make it thru 9 holes every time i walked off early, and I have a membership so i can play as much or as little as i want with no cost differences. If I had paid a green fee for 18 I would play all 18, and if I was in a group or a tourney I would never walk off early unless I had an injury or illness that i couldn't play through out of respect to my partners.

Last edited:
I've walked off the course twice. Both were due to incredibly slow play. I'm talking over three hours to get nine in slow.

Yes..a few times but never in competition

Sent from my DROID X2

I have never walked off the golf course but one time in high school I threw my pitching wedge high into the woods and never heard it come down! Every time I play that par 3 I wonder if it's still up there.

LMAO I would love to have seen this. Pretty funny I bet. It's possible that it's now embedded with the tree.

Golf is not a cheap sport so no matter what I'm not walking off a course ever.

I don't think there's anything wrong with excusing yourself from a round if you're unable to hit a ball with the club face or you are going to run out of balls. I can think of a couple occasions where a playing partner has chosen to continue play during a horrible round and the poor behavior that ensued caused some uncomfortable moments in the round for the whole group. If you get like that the selfish thing to do is stay, it doesn't mean anyone is a quitter.

I have wanted to. But, then I just decided to start drinking or to get my shat together.

I have nevr walked off during a round and really dont plan too unless I am hurt. But I just read a report that said Rory had pain from a wisdom tooth which lead to his desicion.

I play as a single the majority of time and have left mid round many times to hit the range or just call it a day. I have a membership so it never costs me anything so short/jumbled(playing various holes out of sequence to spice things up) rounds are frequent. With that said I would never leave early while playing with a group and I don't struggle with anger/major disappointment on the course.

Back