Walking off the Golf Course in Frustration

I've walked off before, when you go out to play and aren't having a good round and not having fun, you can ruin a round for someone else by staying around. I play golf for fun just like everyone else but that doesn't mean I've never gotten frustrated enough to leave.

In my younger days I quit on my foursome after 9 holes a few times. I used to get so down when I played poorly. My goals and objectives were just not realistic and my understanding of the game was so shallow that I had no clue what to take from a bad round other than "I suck". Now I would never consider walking off of a course, unless I was hurt, and even then I would probably just hang around just to watch the others play. One of the guys I play with talks about quitting when he's struggling, but never actually has. Another guy I play with likes to jump around groups that hold us up for more than two minutes, which basically renders the round meaningless to me. I'm not a big fan of that either.

Never have, never will unless I'm actually injured. If I have a bad round, I use that to focus on other things until I get a little confidence to start playing the holes the right way. Snap hooks? Hit short irons or even wedges to get back into play, and then try to get up and down from that yardage.

You'll learn so much more about yourself and your own golf game when you're on the ropes and fighting back.

I agree with that last point. Golf teaches us who we really are.

Nope, never will. I walked off only once, thirty years ago when I played my first round ever......I ran out of golf balls!!!!!!

doc

Of course it could be because of bad golf. I never said it wasn't. The point is that it's not some measure of manhood. It's a game I play to enjoy. Sometimes I enjoy beer in the clubhouse or my couch more than I enjoy hacking around, or the heat, or the slow guys ahead of me.

I understand. There are days where the 'normal' game just isn't there. If your playing by yourself for fun then totally understand. But if you have a group of friends your playing with then that's another story.

I've never walked off, but did quit playing for about 4 holes. I had to stop before I broke a club out of frustration.

I understand. There are days where the 'normal' game just isn't there. If your playing by yourself for fun then totally understand. But if you have a group of friends your playing with then that's another story.

Nah I wouldn't ditch anybody and I don't throw tantrums. I'm mostly relaxed lol.

I've quit after 9 holes a couple times. There comes a point where you aren't having fun and that can translate into the group not having fun as well. I've never thought differently of any of my buddies (nor they of me) who have quit after 9 holes. I don't expect them to not enjoy themselves simply to "save face", what kind of friend is that?

I think the only time I might have a problem with it, is if one my buddies made a habit of doing it. But if it's every once in a blue moon, I could care less.

Never walked off -- if someone else is enjoying their day, it's wrong to make it the day "he walked off" instead of the day "I had a great round." But when I'm upset it's with myself -- I just get quiet, still applaud someone else's good shots. If I were the type to have a tantrum, swear excessively, or anything that would bother the others *while I was there* then I think walking off would be the better choice.

On a particularly bad day, after hitting a ball into the water on an approach shot, I told my foursome I'd meet them on the next tee. While they were putting out, I was on the next tee fixing my swing (simple stuff -- shorter backswing, don't try to kill ball). Then I played out, somewhat better, and we enjoyed our beers at the end.

No money was on the line -- I'd never do anything to affect a bet or dilute someone else's win.

No nor will I as this is a game I play for fun and I spend way too much cash to walk off. I pay to play not get paid to play (still no excuse to walk off) plus its only a game.

Yep, twice. Not because I was mad, just because I was so off I couldn't even begin to enjoy the round and I was playing alone so why bother? The first time I dropped 5 shots in a row into the water on a pretty easy 165 yard approach shot because I was just worn out and my lower body was dead making me hit everything fat.

The second time I was freezing to death I felt like, it was around 35 degrees, windy, and I was probably +10 through 8 with every one of them being penalty strokes because I could hardly move due to arthritis acting up and I was knocking everything out of bound or into the water. No point in continuing that round, I would have lost 50 bucks worth of balls by the end at that rate.

I play golf for fun, I'll never earn a living at it so I play good or bad and enjoy it. If I'm not enjoying it that day, I'll leave. I won't leave with a partner though, that's just rude.

Yep. I have done it quite a few times when I was young. I lived on a private course and didn't have to pay green fees. If the round really started to go south, I would head back to the range to pound it out...maybe join back up with my buddies at the turn. It is not like I am/was playing tournament golf. Now, I will just take a couple holes off if it is spiraling out of control. Sometimes I feel like I just can't stop the bleeding and the frustration is just leading to more bad shots. Luckily this does not happen often.

I got bored once as a solo and walked off. Later that night found myself wanting to play the next day and kick myself for leaving earlier that day. Would never do it again.

After this last Haney Project with Phelps episode, you might be able to add his name to the walk off list!

After this last Haney Project with Phelps episode, you might be able to add his name to the walk off list!

Which one walked off, Haney or Phelps?

I never have walked off. Like others, I put the club in the bag and rode out the round, helped read greens, range distances etc and still had a good time. Had to quit because my elbow was killing me and physically couldn't finish the round. I didn't play again for 2-1/2 months last year while I healed up.
Later on in one of my last rounds my buddy was having such a bad round he called it quits, but rode the round out with me and helped me out. Sometimes you have to know when to quit to keep from doing something you may regret and let the blood pressure drop back to normal.

I walked out of a round after the front nine of an event last year. I had played the day before, not slept well that night, was exhausted, the course setup was too long for my length, a strong wind was blowing, and I had already shot in the mid-60s on the front nine. Zero fun. I decided I would rather leave and get home early enough to spend a little time with my baby boy than to continue abusing myself in a round where I was not enjoying a single thing about it. So when we made the turn I hopped off at the parking lot, drove home, had a nice time with my little guy, and have no regrets. If it isn't fun it isn't worth doing.

Can't say I ever have and don't plan to. Golf is too much fun and even on my worst / most frustrating days I couldn't imagine actually leaving. A few "F bombs" under my breath and a moment to cool down usually does it for me hahahha. Like others I also don't want to waste money.

I have a funny story about this. My father-in-law had a bad temper when he was younger. By the time he got to the 16th hole at our local course, he was ready to blow his top. He plunked a pitch shot into a pond, right in front of the green. He took his bag off the cart, and threw the entire bag, clubs and all, into the pond and stomped off to the parking lot, which was near the 16th green. The other members of the group looked at each other and sort of just shrugged, and continued. As they were putting out on the green, they see my father-in-law come stomping back down. He wades right into the pond, finds his bag, pulls his car keys out of it, and chucks the whole thing back into the pond.

I've stopped after 9 only a couple of times in my life when it's gotten so bad I wasn't enjoying anything about the round. There's no sense in enduring something unpleasant if you are not forced to, regarless of whether you've had to pay for the round or not. For me, taking a break is a way to "reset" and come back fresh another time. I usually figure out what's wrong in my downtime and fix it with a fresh start. Your mileage may vary.

even when I'm way off my game, I've never been frustrated enough to walk off. Not really due to any kind of mental toughness or determination, just rather be on the course than most other places. Maybe I'm just used to my own bad play :p I've left before because my playing partner(s) have mentally checked out and wanted to leave. I was playing with this girl for a run of rounds last season because she always complained how no one will play with her and she always had her nose buried in her phone when she starts to lose it mentally. Had a really bad attitude too. I don't think I'll play with her again.

Back