Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

Love my XHP Irons. Sending them out for some Tour UST Recoils this weekend.

Can't wait!

Same as Tadashi minus hitting the c-tapers. I hit the KBS tour stiff and px95 6.0. Launch, trajectory, spin, and dispersion were nearly identical for me. KBS had a better feel so I went with them. Not that the PX felt bad, just not as good.
Thanks for the feedback here. Just placed my order with KBS Tours in Stiff.

The PX95 felt funny and end weighted in the setup. Not just because it's lighter but probably because the balance point is lower then the KBS Tour's. The KBS felt perfectly balanced at setup and through the swing and was the clear winner for me. Just needed some reinforcement that there was no performance difference with the heads.

PX95 may have a winner here, but after spending some more time with it, it still may be best for a quicker transition player vs. my smooth transition.

Tadashi -

With your on the course testing, would you think the PX95 is for a player with a quicker transition? Traditionally I've never gotten along with the PX line because I have a moderate/smooth transition. I play a natural fade and don't want to turn those into hard fades/slices on the long irons.

I'm late with this and I thjnk a read you order KBS. But to answer your question, no. I don't have a fast transition at all. My SS is not all that for as far I think I hit it. The PX have been solid in my testing as have the KBS. To date the cTapers are the best I have seen as far as performance

I'm late with this and I thjnk a read you order KBS. But to answer your question, no. I don't have a fast transition at all. My SS is not all that for as far I think I hit it. The PX have been solid in my testing as have the KBS. To date the cTapers are the best I have seen as far as performance
Yea, it's a shame Callaway charges so much for the C-Tapers. Think I saw $30 per club. Ouch, that's how much I can get them for at an authorized dealer. So this is something I still may try out in the future.

Yea, it's a shame Callaway charges so much for the C-Tapers. Think I saw $30 per club. Ouch, that's how much I can get them for at an authorized dealer. So this is something I still may try out in the future.

Pick a set up on the bay for $200 or so!

Love my XHP Irons. Sending them out for some Tour UST Recoils this weekend.

Can't wait!

I will be putting some recoils in my XHot pros as well. Be interested to see how you like them as well.

How are the PX95 shafts compared to the regular PX's? Are they the same firmness, meaning PX95 6.0 is same as PX 6.0? thanks

I will be putting some recoils in my XHot pros as well. Be interested to see how you like them as well.
That will be an interesting combo, looking forward To your findings

Yea, it's a shame Callaway charges so much for the C-Tapers. Think I saw $30 per club. Ouch, that's how much I can get them for at an authorized dealer. So this is something I still may try out in the future.[/QUOTE

How are the PX95 shafts compared to the regular PX's? Are they the same firmness, meaning PX95 6.0 is same as PX 6.0? thanks
Yes the stiffness is the same between the two models

I put my new XHP irons to the test in their first tournament of the year. It was a semi scramble where you take the best tee shot of the foursome and then play your own ball into the cup. I helped my team many times with some pretty slick iron shots. So much that one of my playing partners said, " are you sure you are a 22 handicap"? That's what my handicap is from our white tees. It was funny watching him grin as I was hitting those baby draws into the greens, with beautiful trajectory. Oh well, a man has to do what a man has to do :D. It was a compliment to my new XHP irons and a boost to my confidence. He later asked if I was playing in the match play club championship this month. I said yep, and he had this funny look on his face. Sic em Cally X Hot Pros :thumb:

That's awesome OG! Glad they are already making you take some people out to the woodshed and letting them know who's coming to play.

Sweet Ole Gray, guess that guy is reconsidering playing in the club championship. I'm around the same handicap as you, just wanted to know if you find these irons forgiving enough? Currently playing AP1 712, really looking to switch to XHP's. Thanks

Sweet Ole Gray, guess that guy is reconsidering playing in the club championship. I'm around the same handicap as you, just wanted to know if you find these irons forgiving enough? Currently playing AP1 712, really looking to switch to XHP's. Thanks

They are for me and I'm actually striking the ball better and more solid than ever. The look these irons present sitting behind the ball just makes me want to bust it. They encourage me to take a smooth move during take away but yet an aggressive move through contact. When I played a thicker sole type club, it worked opposite for me. It made me think I had to help the ball up while with these thinner soles, it encourages me to strike the ball first. If you have the opportunity by all means do like I did and test them at your local golf store/outlet. It's not like hitting them out doors however you can feel enough to see if they will work for your game. I would like to also add having them fit for your swing is a must for optimum performance. I absolutely love em!

They are for me and I'm actually striking the ball better and more solid than ever. The look these irons present sitting behind the ball just makes me want to bust it. They encourage me to take a smooth move during take away but yet an aggressive move through contact. When I played a thicker sole type club, it worked opposite for me. It made me think I had to help the ball up while with these thinner soles, it encourages me to strike the ball first. If you have the opportunity by all means do like I did and test them at your local golf store/outlet. It's not like hitting them out doors however you can feel enough to see if they will work for your game. I would like to also add having them fit for your swing is a must for optimum performance. I absolutely love em!

Thanks OG. Definitely going to go test them out today. BTW, did you end up going with the stock PX 95 shafts?

Thanks OG. Definitely going to go test them out today. BTW, did you end up going with the stock PX 95 shafts?

haha This is funny because at the fitting the dude had me in the GS85 True Temper shafts. They called back and said these were not available now so would the 95s be an option? I said sure as the shafts specs were identical except for a tiny bit of weight difference. I thought they were talking about the GS 95 shafts so when the box came and I opened it, the irons had the PX 95 flighted shafts. I was a bit thrown off however after testing these against my original order, I could not be more pleased. For me the PX Flighted 95 shafts are the bomb! :bomb:. If you custom order your sticks, make sure you the fitter gets your order correct. I was fortunate where as my ordeal could have been a disaster.

OG, me likies what I'm reading. There is hope for us high handicaps with the Xhot pros.

OG, me likies what I'm reading. There is hope for us high handicaps with the Xhot pros.

yea yea yea you're a high capper like I'm the Mayor of Monroe, Ga. :D. What Freddie is really saying, is they work for real players like him self as well as hacks like myself :thumb:. Some irons just fit your eyes better than others and inspire confidence. These are not only sharp looking, but they also have some high performance stuff under the hood, for all type golfers.

I put my new XHP irons to the test in their first tournament of the year. It was a semi scramble where you take the best tee shot of the foursome and then play your own ball into the cup. I helped my team many times with some pretty slick iron shots. So much that one of my playing partners said, " are you sure you are a 22 handicap"? That's what my handicap is from our white tees. It was funny watching him grin as I was hitting those baby draws into the greens, with beautiful trajectory. Oh well, a man has to do what a man has to do :D. It was a compliment to my new XHP irons and a boost to my confidence. He later asked if I was playing in the match play club championship this month. I said yep, and he had this funny look on his face. Sic em Cally X Hot Pros :thumb:

<Cough, Cough> I'm choking from all the sandbagging going on in here where OG is a 22, and Tadashi uses the words "us high handicaps" in the same timeframe :angel:

Glad you are hitting them well OG. If my bonus ever gets here, I will probably be joining the club.

That's fantastic to hear OG, and I'm excited by your success with the XH-Pros. I hit the regular XHot 6 iron with the stiff graphite shaft a while back and fell in love with the club.
But a lot of the time I have delusions that I'm a real golfer and think that "Tour" or "Pro" versions of clubs are the ones I can play. It's good to hear that the X-Hot Pro might be one where this actually might be true for me.

yea yea yea you're a high capper like I'm the Mayor of Monroe, Ga. :D. What Freddie is really saying, is they work for real players like him self as well as hacks like myself :thumb:. Some irons just fit your eyes better than others and inspire confidence. These are not only sharp looking, but they also have some high performance stuff under the hood, for all type golfers.

<Cough, Cough> I'm choking from all the sandbagging going on in here where OG is a 22, and Tadashi uses the words "us high handicaps" in the same timeframe :angel:

Glad you are hitting them well OG. If my bonus ever gets here, I will probably be joining the club.

You are going to be a happy camper Donne!

OG you are a wise man. Performance at all levels says a great deal about Callaway's 2013 Xhot offerings.

You are going to be a happy camper Donne!

The wait is driving me nuts...I'm really thinking XHot 3 and 4 hybrids and the 5-PW XHot Pro Irons. Should blend nicely look and loft wise with the SCOR wedges at the bottom of the bag.

The wait is driving me nuts...I'm really thinking XHot 3 and 4 hybrids and the 5-PW XHot Pro Irons. Should blend nicely look and loft wise with the SCOR wedges at the bottom of the bag.

Lawd have mercy dude, you will be hotter than a 2 dollar pistol with that set up!

Going to have to give the XHP's a try, the buzz is too strong here not to try them out.

Thought that I would add my thoughts as well. Before hitting the X Hot Pros, I decided that I was going to bag either the AP2 or the I20s. While I was in the store today I decided to give the XHPs a whirl. I must say, I was very impressed and have narrowed my decision to the I20 and the Xhot.

Dispersion, distance and consistency were all much better with the XHP. I had a fat and a thin shot with the I20 and a few with the AP1 & 2, none with the XHP. I played a round with a friends I20 and I found myself prone to pull hook the ball, something that happened on the simulator as well.

We'll see how it goes with the Callaways. I checked out a demo and plan to hit the range and course within the next week, I will report back with some more detailed thoughts once I get them outside.

Thought that I would add my thoughts as well. Before hitting the X Hot Pros, I decided that I was going to bag either the AP2 or the I20s. While I was in the store today I decided to give the XHPs a whirl. I must say, I was very impressed and have narrowed my decision to the I20 and the Xhot.

Dispersion, distance and consistency were all much better with the XHP. I had a fat and a thin shot with the I20 and a few with the AP1 & 2, none with the XHP. I played a round with a friends I20 and I found myself prone to pull hook the ball, something that happened on the simulator as well.

We'll see how it goes with the Callaways. I checked out a demo and plan to hit the range and course within the next week, I will report back with some more detailed thoughts once I get them outside.

Awesome, I can't wait to see what your on course thoughts are. So many positive reviews on the pros so far.

Back