Lamkin Gripes - Review Thread

Great write up Shark Hat. I'll be getting mine done today as last night I came home to sick Kristen to play doctor too. But hoping she feels better today and will get a chance to try these out. I will be testing these on Winning W5 which is a leather or synthetic leather grip. I'll check to see which it is but I will give it a go no matter what. I also have a very grungy SeeMore Feel Tec grip to clean up as well.

Great write up Shark Hat. I'll be getting mine done today as last night I came home to sick Kristen to play doctor too. But hoping she feels better today and will get a chance to try these out. I will be testing these on Winning W5 which is a leather or synthetic leather grip. I'll check to see which it is but I will give it a go no matter what. I also have a very grungy SeeMore Feel Tec grip to clean up as well.

My FeelTec took the longest time to dry. I actually had to towel it off.

I'd be curious if yours does the same thing.

My FeelTec took the longest time to dry. I actually had to towel it off.

I'd be curious if yours does the same thing.

Interesting. Glad your brought that up as that will be something I will look for. Did you do it first, middle or end?

Interesting. Glad your brought that up as that will be something I will look for. Did you do it first, middle or end?

It was the first one that I cleaned, and it still hadn't dried by the tame I got back to it for detailing

It was the first one that I cleaned, and it still hadn't dried by the tame I got back to it for detailing

Great observation, I may not want to do this right before a round or mid-round then.

Great job everyone. Last time I looked for these I couldn't find them in any stores. I'm going to try again this afternoon. One thing I am curious about is other applications after they have been used on grips - assuming there isn't enough life in them for another grip but guessing they are still a bit moist. For example, after doing 5 grips is there any value to using them to give club faces or shoes a quick wipe down? Are there any chemicals in the wipe that would make you not want to put it on either of those things?

Last edited:
Great observation, I may not want to do this right before a round or mid-round then.

The FeelTec was the only grip that did this for me, and it was fine after I hit it with the towel.

All of the other grips were fine within just a couple minutes.

Great job everyone. Last time I looked for these I couldn't find them in any stores. I'm going to try again this afternoon. One thing I am curious about is other applications after they have been used on grips - assuming there isn't enough life in them moor another grip but guessing they are still a bit moist. For example, after doing 5 grips is there any value to using them to give club faces or shoes a quick wipe down? Are there any chemicals in the wipe that would make you not want to put it on either of those things?

There's actually nothing on the package that shows what chemicals are in the Gripe formula. I'll do some club faces this afternoon and see what's what.

After rolling through this thread, one question comes to mind: how in the world do y'all let your grips get so nasty?! Sheesh! Man-oh-man! :)

Great job everyone. Last time I looked for these I couldn't find them in any stores. I'm going to try again this afternoon. One thing I am curious about is other applications after they have been used on grips - assuming there isn't enough life in them for another grip but guessing they are still a bit moist. For example, after doing 5 grips is there any value to using them to give club faces or shoes a quick wipe down? Are there any chemicals in the wipe that would make you not want to put it on either of those things?
Good question. I found that after using one on a full set, they are still a bt moist, yes, but they start to tear slightly. I did two sets of clubs with one gripe each, and they both started to rip near the end. I would think that you shouldnt use them on shoes, because most shoes are leather, and it says only to use the gripes on rubber and synthetic grips. I dont think using them to clean clubs off would be a problem, though.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble finding this product? It is a bit frustrating...I go to GolfSmith's web site and it auto corrects "gripes" to "grips" so you can't really do an online search for them (and they don't show up in the cleaning category).

Is anyone else having trouble finding this product? It is a bit frustrating...I go to GolfSmith's web site and it auto corrects "gripes" to "grips" so you can't really do an online search for them (and they don't show up in the cleaning category).
I did a golgle shopping search and nothing came up either.. Maybe ebay?

I am too. I've decided I'm just going to wait until I go home and pick some up at a golf store. I don't think it's worth it to pay shipping for them anyways.

Coupled with that, you guys have convinced me to get a pack or two. I need to clean up my grips and these seem easy and quick!

Some great reviews in here guys. I am going to need to find some of these in the store and test them out for myself, I have a feeling my grips that have been on for almost a year and never been cleaned, could be quite disgusting.

i found them and picked some up at a golf galaxy they had tons.

These seem great. Wish I would have bought them last week when I saw them at Dicks.

Me too, if I get around to go to dicks I'll buy one they had one left, luckily I doubt many people know the benefit

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Can you wipe down the club faces with the wipes too? Or only the grips.

Can you wipe down the club faces with the wipes too? Or only the grips.
After I wipes down grips I usually use the wipe to clean up the faces a bit. But it will dry out a tad after a while

I still couldn't find these today!!!

But great reviews and thoughts so far, sounds like they work exactly as advertised!

Our Dick's is on of the lamest stores in the US, so they don't have them. There is a smaller shop that does though.

Sharkhat - I noticed that my soft Winn grips took longer to dry as well. The texture of those grips seems to hold in the moisture longer.

Has anyone used these on Tour Wrap grips yet and if so, results?

Those are what I use, the Golf Pride G2 Tour Wraps, I use mostly red but I have a black on my driver and a white on my 5 wood and also my back up driver.

After rolling through this thread, one question comes to mind: how in the world do y'all let your grips get so nasty?! Sheesh! Man-oh-man! :)

After cleaning both of my white grips it appears that I actually keep mine fairly clean.

Having answered those questions, here goes my initial review. I was out of town all day yesterday and checked my mail when I got home, I had my package from THP waiting.
Spoiler
1a1a_zpsa5b0bdb0.jpg

I opened my package today and decided to get right to work and clean all of my grips and take some pictures of my clubs that have the white grips, they are on my 5 wood and my back up driver As I stated above. Here is the 5 wood and a picture of the package before I cleaned the 5 wood grip.
Spoiler
1a1b_zpsfd2d68e1.jpg

This is a picture of the 5 wood and Gripes wipe after cleaning the 5 wood. You can see some residue that the Gripe cleaned from the grip.
Spoiler
1a1c_zpscb5595d8.jpg

This is a picture of my CG SL290 driver and a Scott's bathroom wipe (I thohgt this would be stronger than a baby wipe)
Spoiler
1a1e_zps41bb56fd.jpg

Here is a picture after cleaning the SL290, I was correct this bathroom wipe was sturdy enough to clean the grip.
Spoiler
1a1g_zpsb521be9a.jpg

I was impressed with how sturdy the Gripes are, being as I play a softer type grip I was actually able to do the entire set of clubs and the Gripe still was staying pretty much as clean as it was after cleaning the 5 wood, I would guess I could have cleaned 4 or 5 more G2 grips with that one Gripe. The Scott's bathroom wipe did almost as good a job of cleaning but not quite, I wish the picture was clearer so you could see it. I only used the Scott's for one club, my guess is it would not have made it through 3 as I could tell it was feeling fatigue with just the one club. The clubs cleaned with the Gripes felt much more tacky than the one cleaned with the Scott's but after about 15 minutes the Scott's grip was pretty much as tacky as the Gripes, I guess the moisturizer has something to do with the initial feel. Anyone thinking any of the other types of wipes being marketed would do as good of a job as Gripes really don't understand how tough the Gripes are, these things are really, really tough.

The Gripes do have an odor that to me is slightly on the citrus side and clorox in nature, not overpowering at all and really not unplesant either. Do any of the other testers notice this?

The package claims that Gripes will "Keep your golf grips looking & feeling like new" after one cleaning I am much inclined to agree. I will try to get in 5 rounds before cleaning my grips again. I will be taking these clubs out to the course tomorrow for first round play after this cleaning, then will report any and all observations after getting in that initial round.

A huge thank you to THP and Lampkin Gripes for this testing opportunity, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best, this is one of those times IMO.

Last edited:
Good reviews so far, sounds like a pretty decent product. I may actually break down and get a package of these.

As for the claims that it restores the tackiness of the grip, isn't that the obvious point of cleaning the grips? When they get dirty, they tend to slick up.

Good reviews so far, sounds like a pretty decent product. I may actually break down and get a package of these.

As for the claims that it restores the tackiness of the grip, isn't that the obvious point of cleaning the grips? When they get dirty, they tend to slick up.

I agree with this for the most part with almost all grips. My GP 2G Tour Wraps tend to get gritty though instead of slick so I probably tend to wipe them off more than most others. My grips are almost always tacky but with the Gripes wipedown today they are on the extreme end of being tacky.

I would think a bathroom wipe could handle a wrap. But with a cord grip, it's gonna tear to shreds I would think. I'm gonna see if I have any around here just to see what happens.

Back