Age of taking the game more serious

Owen

Love/Hate Relationship
Reaction score
Handicap
How old were you guys when you first started getting into golf? Not just playing, but really taking it seriously.

I actually started playing around 2005 (age 21), but only played like 3 times a year with a cheap $80 set of clubs from Walmart. It wasn't until 2010 (age 26) that I started really getting into the game and bought some decent clubs. I really wish I would have been more interested in the game as a kid. I feel like I'm really getting started too late.

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

I started playing in the fall of 97 as a business tool to close sales, I was 33. After a year or so in 98 or 99 I got the bug pretty badly and started practicing 4 or f days a week and took a series of 6 lessons from the range pro. (best thing I ever did) I still take the game very seriously and put 100% into every shot I hit. I also still practice a few days a week and absolutely still love the game.

Last edited:
I didn't start taking it serious till I was in my early 30s. I started golfing when I was age 10. I played a lot when I was young. But never really learned how to play. I got involved with some fellow Military guys that really put me on the right track. Ever since I have been obsessed....and it's the best thing in the world. I'm nearing 50 now. Also, my wife and son play as well so it really gives us all time together on the course and range.... GOlf is a long term sport. You are still young

I started with lessons in 1971 and was serious day one. My folks took up the game in their mid 40 to early 40's and enjoyed it so much they wanted me to go in right, so it all started with lessons. Through the years my intensity for the game has had peaks and valleys and possibly played more these last couple years than ever before.

Did'nt start playing till 40 and by 42 started a 10 lesson plan at golftec and have been trying to tweek my game since 47 now wish i had found this game much earlier but no one in my area played glad i started playing when i did..

Still don't, not really. I was 40 and recovering from a knee injury before I hit a full bucket of range balls for actual practice / technique. This winter I'm actually taking a clinic to try and improve or at least stop the slide. That's as serious as I've been since 14 or so....when I was very serious and extremely awful.

I started playing in high school and worked at a golf course in college so I could play because I didn't have any money for green fees. I didn't really take a break from the game but I've had 3 kids in the last 6 years so that cut in alot. Went from playing 4 times a week to 12 times a year (4-5 which are outings). Refocusing myself this year and will be practicing and hopefully playing more. I have two trips scheduled for this month to head South so I'm hoping I'm back on track.

I had this conversation with my 6 yr old 10 minutes before reading this thread. I explained that golf will be something he can take with him through life and potentially open doors when he's older. No pressure but I'm hoping he gets bit by the bug.

I didnt start taking the game serious u til I was about 24-25 (28 years old now). I honestly thought it was boring and wouldn't peak or hold my interest for a long time. I get bored uber easy... So I thought I'd hate it after 3 holes.

But decided I'd give it a try... Went to dicks and bought a Acuity box set and played on a nice Saturday. I was hooked from that day on. I hate, I repeat hate not being really good at something... So from the first time I played, I started taking it super serious.

Last edited:
Started at 13, and started taking it serious from day 1. Made the HS golf team the next year.

I started playing in grade 9 with the encouragement of my math teacher (97), but didn't start getting into it and trying to improve until 3 years ago. I bet I've averaged nearly 150 rounds per year these past 3 years, and have gone from fighting to break 100 to fighting to break par. Have had lots of +2s, and a +1, but not yet par.

I took it very serious when I was in my 20's that's 20 some odd years ago.
I do not take it serious anymore. Yes I would like to be better and play more often but given my job,financial situation and time, it just isn't possible.
Yes I get very upset when I'm not shooting well but I also have to take into account my allotted practice time and playing time versus life.
I try to play every other week and go to the range on the week between but I really can't expect to much if not allowed the real time needed to get better.
We average 60+ hours a week at work so I have to have 1 down day just to recoup my energy lol, it sucks getting older:p

I think I dug in my heals at age 16. I'd spend my summers on the executive course learning different shots. Then in the fall-spring I was a weekend range rat with the pro.

I started maybe 4 years ago, so late thirties. Never had the opportunity to play earlier...just the way it goes I guess!

When I was 27 in 1974. Bought my first full set of clubs - Golden Ram - at the pro shop at Overland Golf Course in Denver for $240 for a full set from PW to 3I and 1 - 3 - 5 woods (that was the only place you could get brand name, "proper" clubs back then - there were no off course golf shops). I added a SW later. Don't remember when I bought my first good putter.

I started playing in the early 70's at age 13 or 14. I never took it all that serious until I was maybe 30 and I didn't take it all that serious even then. I'll take it somewhat serious if there is money on the like during skins games, but it is still just a past time for me and I don't take it that serious even today.

I started playing a little when I was 16, but at 18 I kinda gave the game up for a few years.
I got started again when I hit 21 and played maybe once or twice a month.
Then at about 25, I really started to take it more seriously and was playing 2 - 3 time a month and going to the range once or twice as well.
Now at 55, I play 6-8 rounds a month and hit the range at least twice month and sometimes 4.
Since joining THP in August of 2010, my handicap has dropped from 11 to 2.3. My goal this year is to get it to 1 or maybe even scratch.

I just started playing about 18 months ago and have been very committed from the start. I'm 32 years old.

The summer (1999) before I got married I started playing regularly with my soon-to-be father inlaw and his buddies. I still play 75% of my rounds with those guys, but now I beat them by ten strokes instead of the other way around. It was probably 04 or 05 when I started getting serious enough to improve & compete with them regularly...

Was introduced to golf at a young age, but didn't take it serious until 2004, I was 24. Hadn't picked up a club in 10 years and just decided one day that I felt like golfing. And have been addicted ever since!!!

When I was 12. Unfortunately I was better back then!

I was 14 when I started playing seriously. Too bad I haven't improved much since then!

Probably mid-20's for me, so just about a decade ago. I still suck, but I pay more attention to my suckiness.

When I was 12. Unfortunately I was better back then!

You're pretty good now!

I got pretty serious not long after I started. Usually when I get into something I go in full assed. I didn't improve a whole lot because I didn't play enough for a long time, but I got into the history of the game early on. I loved the game but only played once or twice a month during the summer, less than that in spring and fall. It wasn't until 2008 that I started playing more often, and getting better at the same time.

25ish. I had only played 2 years before that.

Back