The Anchoring Ban

JB, do you have any kind of estimate how much money manufacturers have made on the recent long/belly putter craze?

If the ban is overturned I don't think it will be because someone deemed it fair or unfair. I think it will be because clubmakers have successfully lobbied those in positions of power.

Galaxy S3ing and Tapatalk 2ing

My whole point is time shouldn't make any difference. Argue a rule on its merits, not because "we've been allowing it that way for a long, long time. "

Bob Charles had been using Deer Antler Spray for 20 years before it made the banned substance list.

But isn't that exactly what they're doing? Saying we need to do away with it to get back to the grand old traditions of the game?

PED's can't even be compared to this. If they were legal, can you imagine how many more kids would be using them just to stay competitive in high school? A kid emulating their favorite golfer by anchoring their putter won't damage their health.

JB, do you have any kind of estimate how much money manufacturers have made on the recent long/belly putter craze?

If the ban is overturned I don't think it will be because someone deemed it fair or unfair. I think it will be because clubmakers have successfully lobbied those in positions of power.

I strongly disagree, especially with the way putter sales have been the last few years. If there was ever a time for equipment companies to lobby and get something done, it would have been the groove rule and that went no where.

My biggest issue with this ban is not the time frame. But rather, it is something that provides no statistical advantage but has made the game easier for a noticeable percentage of amateur golfers. Forget the PGA tour. The fact that some people have come to enjoy the game more by anchoring their putters, tells me that they aren't a bad thing.

The usga isn't making the any better or fair with this ban. They are making the game harder.

That's my problem.

I would think the groove rule increased the number of clubs they sold, because everyone had to change. You are saying taking away 2 of the hottest selling putter categories -- broomsticks and bellies -- won't hurt manufacturers?

I would think the groove rule increased the number of clubs they sold, because everyone had to change. You are saying taking away 2 of the hottest selling putter categories -- broomsticks and bellies -- won't hurt manufacturers?

That is not what I said at all.

My biggest issue with this ban is not the time frame. But rather, it is something that provides no statistical advantage but has made the game easier for a noticeable percentage of amateur golfers. Forget the PGA tour. The fact that some people have come to enjoy the game more by anchoring their putters, tells me that they aren't a bad thing.

The usga isn't making the any better or fair with this ban. They are making the game harder.

That's my problem.

Your's and mine. I agree.

99% of golfers didn't have to buy new wedges and irons. Only those looming to qualify for the US Open.

99% of golfers didn't have to buy new wedges and irons. Only those looming to qualify for the US Open.

This. Then add equipment companies completely having to retool a manufacturing process and a complete marketing plan and they were in a tough spot. Putter sales have been down the last few years, so while extended putters have given a small bump, its nothing compared to the backlash of the groove rule that changed

As an aside, I'd like to see the data that shows that broomsticks and bellies are hot selling putters nowadays.

As an aside, I'd like to see the data that shows that broomsticks and bellies are hot selling putters nowadays.

They are JN. I should clarify were. For half of 2012, they were selling well.
Well, for putters in the current market anyway.

How do you figure that? The groove rule doesn't go into effect for amateurs until 2024. (Unless of course you buy new wedges every year)

Last edited:
The Anchoring Ban

You are saying taking away 2 of the hottest selling putter categories -- broomsticks and bellies -- won't hurt manufacturers?

I can only speak for the UK, but I have yet to see anyone on the course using a longer putter. And I have only ever seen one for sale in a shop.

I wonder if their support leans more towards the R&A rather than the USGA.

It's all the same thing. The USGA and R&A make these decisions jointly.

It's all the same thing. The USGA and R&A make these decisions jointly.

If that's the case than why be two entities?

Siri speaks for me!

If that's the case than why be two entities?

Siri speaks for me!

They write the rules of golf jointly, but they have different areas of authority for other things - tournaments and handicap management for a couple.

I don't care if someone wants to use a Long Putter. If they want to look stupid then let them. Yes, people that use long putters look like an 80 year old man sweeping their porch in Coral Gables. Put on your Full Brim Yellow Hat, Button up long sleeve shirt, Sweater, Dress shorts with a white belt, black socks up to your knees, and dress shoes. Yep, people with a long putter look like a Senior Citizen.

With that said, banning the long putter is plain stupid. The game of golf loses more people everyday. They need to keep people in the game and the USGA and R&A's top priorities should be keeping people in the game. Remove the belly putter and you will have one of two things 1. More cheating amateurs because they aren't going to give the belly putter up. 2. People quitting the game. How are either of these things good for golf? If they don't want the Anchored Putter on Tour then let the PGA deal with it.

I don't buy the argument that banning anchoring will cause people to give up the game. I think those who might quit are on the brink anyway and won't really be affected by the ban. They don't play competitively and will continue to anchor anyway.

As regards manufacturers losing sales, won't those using long putters have to buy new short ones?

I don't buy the argument that banning anchoring will cause people to give up the game. I think those who might quit are on the brink anyway and won't really be affected by the ban. They don't play competitively and will continue to anchor anyway.

As regards manufacturers losing sales, won't those using long putters have to buy new short ones?

And those who have traditionally changed putters when they change their underwear will continue to do so.

So it looks like Kucher's style and Adam Scott's long putter is still ok?

Kuchar should be okay, but doesn't Adam Scott anchor his hand to his shoulder? I feel like the ruling is extremely vague and pros will find their ways around it once diagnosing the rule. IF it even goes into effect.

Kuchar should be okay, but doesn't Adam Scott anchor his hand to his shoulder? I feel like the ruling is extremely vague and pros will find their ways around it once diagnosing the rule. IF it even goes into effect.

His putter is allowed, it's just the anchoring which is being contested. If the proposal goes into effect, it will not ban any equipment.

His putter is allowed, it's just the anchoring which is being contested. If the proposal goes into effect, it will not ban any equipment.

That's what they say so they don't ban the equipment, and everyone knows it. Because "it's not the equipment, it's how it's used".

Back