Putter Making - My First Unveil

I want to take a second and repeat something I said up front in the OP. This is strictly a hobby for me. I have received a couple of PM's and while I greatly appreciate the feedback, I am not interested in doing anything sales wise or restoration wise at this point. I retired last year from my career building highway's and bride's but I took another job close to home and I'm working a lot of hours. I'm home right now and posting a lot because I'm having some shoulder/neck issues and I'm waiting to see a neurologist next week.

First and foremost posting here is a privilege and I don't want this thread to become something that puts this privilege in jeopardy. THP allows these types of threads and I appreciate it greatly. This thread is not in any way a solicitation to sell or do resto work. I wish I had the time to do more and maybe down the road once I am retired completely, I might rethink this. If I do decide to do more, it will only be done here in full adherence to the board rules. Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, sharing my hobby is what this thread is all about.

Right on, HG. No lie - I wanted to pm you for one almost immediately, but I saw what you posted and know that you meant what you said. They just look incredible and it's cool to see a THP'r making something like this. The fact that you are sharing it here is a good thing, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Your work is unbelievable HG. They're beautiful looking!

About how long does it take from start to finish to make a putter?

Have you experimented with any other styles or is that the one you're the most comfortable with for now?

Right on, HG. No lie - I wanted to pm you for one almost immediately, but I saw what you posted and know that you meant what you said. They just look incredible and it's cool to see a THP'r making something like this. The fact that you are sharing it here is a good thing, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I respect the rules of the site and just want to make sure everyone know's that is the case. This place is special and I'm have no interest in being shown the door........

Your work is unbelievable HG. They're beautiful looking!

About how long does it take from start to finish to make a putter?

Have you experimented with any other styles or is that the one you're the most comfortable with for now?

I'm guessing there is something like 25 to 30 hours in each one. Maybe less. Removing bulk waste metal takes a lot of time. I need a bigger mill, and I have looked at a few, but the truth is I'm not sure my 6 inch thick shop floor would support the weight.

I am working towards something larger but still a pintail style. I like this classic style. I'll post a pic of one I'm working on. Little longer body, little wider and with a pocket.

Here is what I've been working on. I have a couple of these finished and a couple nearly done.

Pintail2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you are one creative and talented dude. Great job. She's a real beauty!

I finally got out today and did a little work in my shop. Gun bluing a couple of putters. The first one was the one that started all of this. Real basic putter, cut from a thin block of carbon. I'll post more about that one later as well as the other one pictured. I'd tell you what is in the pan but I forgot.....

blue18.jpg

blue16.jpg

blue15.jpg

blue14.jpg

blue13.jpg

blue12.jpg

blue11.jpg

Whats in the pan? hehe J/K amazing work HG!

Whats in the pan? hehe J/K amazing work HG!

It is 650 degree's which is very hot and not something one would want to drink!

Love seeing your work! Keep it up.

Here is the one pictured above. I've had this one done for a while. It just needed stamped and blued. Unstamped in these pic's. This is the one from the drawing above. It is a cross from again a Mills and maybe a Carmeron studio design. Little larger body and a little heavier. This one is right at 350 grams. Made from carbon steel. The pocket is bead blasted for bluing so it would be a "dull" area to use as a sight line of sorts and because I have not figured out a good way to get in there and buff.

IMGP3223.jpg

IMGP3221.jpg

IMGP3224.jpg

IMGP3220.jpg

IMGP3219.jpg

IMGP3204.jpg

Stamping.

IMGP3228.jpg

IMGP3230.jpg

IMGP3231.jpg

How the pocket is milled.

IMGP3225.jpg

Love your putters. I've been restoring putters for awhile now and have always thought about building my own. I think your thread might have really put a spark in me to do it.

Incredible work. Simply incredible.

Love looking at these, amazing work you do. Thanks for allowing us the privilege to see into your hobby.

Dan

those are beautiful. Great work!

I am impressed! I am blown away by the skills.
I have a question: when you stamp the lettering I think I see you put tape over the space. Is that true? You hold the putter in place with a vise & lead "pads"? Any tips to share for stamping?

I am impressed! I am blown away by the skills.
I have a question: when you stamp the lettering I think I see you put tape over the space. Is that true? You hold the putter in place with a vise & lead "pads"? Any tips to share for stamping?

My best advice is to buy good quality stamps. I use Young Brother's. Well made. They can be bought direct, just Google them. Cheap stamps will flatten out after just a couple of uses. I do us tape. Masking tape helps keep the stamp from slipping. I like to rock the stamps from end to end, side to side with each hit. This helps make the letter full. Big letters, like the "W" need this. Easy ones like say a "O" not so much. Practice on a old piece of steel first. You also need a good vice with a good base. There is a 6x6 right below the vice shown. This one is for stamping only. You need a solid base and you need to be able to hold the piece being stamped really well.

I am really enjoying this thread Hoosier! you have some talent. that bluing looks awesome!

I made the one mistake you never want to make this morning when working with metal. I was milling and got a piece of steel in my right eye. One 20 mile trip to the eye doctor and $123 later, I am good to go, sort of. To go along with my should/neck issues, I now have a scratched retina to go with it. Doctor said it will clear up in a few days with the drops he gave me. Still red and sore and my nose has never ran so much.........

Yikes Hoosier! Glad you will be ok. I'm blown away by your work. Just beautiful.

I made the one mistake you never want to make this morning when working with metal. I was milling and got a piece of steel in my right eye. One 20 mile trip to the eye doctor and $123 later, I am good to go, sort of. To go along with my should/neck issues, I now have a scratched retina to go with it. Doctor said it will clear up in a few days with the drops he gave me. Still red and sore and my nose has never ran so much.........

Bummer man. I have too seen many co-workers (back when I did construction) with eye problems. You can never be too careful with safety when it comes to shop work. Hope it clears up quick.

Hooser: Glad you weren't hurt. I've had a ceramic sliver in my eye before and it was very painful.

The putters are amazing. You should make some for family members. That'd be a nice legacy item.

I used to machine my own car pieces (basically custom made engine modifications) back in college using the machine shop at school. I did most things manually, but would do things like your lettering on a CNC. I've since thought about wanting to go back and build my own putters. I was really happy when I saw this thread!

I've often thought that I could make ANY putter have a fancy face mill pattern in about 15 minutes with a handful of passes or end mills. I kind of want to do that with my FGP bronze.

Back