SeeMore SPi Experience

I just got an email from Tim, my fitter. He said he talked to Ted and that "Roxy" is ordered and will be here next week. Yippee. get these putts sinking!

Very cool, Bullfrog! Scary to think how well you could play in MB after some instruction and hard work on your putting game.

I know right. I feel tee to green I'm ok. But on the green is where I will gain my strokes.

this maybe better suited for the practice thread, but it's all part of the SPi experience...

last night i pulled out the Triangulator and was putting around with that for a good 30 minutes or so.
i can't wait to get that new SeeMore out on the course and really give it a go, because so far, it's straight money inside on the carpet!
i don't plan on missing many putts this year...

the nice thing, that i've talked about before, is that with this whole experience and actually focusing on putting and tips from the lesson, you take one less variable out of why you miss putts. after the lesson and applying these methods and practicing them night in and night out...you can feel confident that if/when you miss a putt, it's not because of a bad stroke on your part. maybe you didn't get the line or the speed quite right, but you can assure yourself that your doing everything correct mechanically, and that's a good feeling.

I am so intrigued with this overall SeeMore process and way of thinking. I've tried to install a few of the teachings to my putting game right now. Thanks for the write-ups Castor and Bullfrog. Can't wait to see you go through it Dean! Thanks for posting everyone!

I am so intrigued with this overall SeeMore process and way of thinking. I've tried to install a few of the teachings to my putting game right now. Thanks for the write-ups Castor and Bullfrog. Can't wait to see you go through it Dean! Thanks for posting everyone!

I'm pretty excited about it. Just have to put in 3 more hours of pretending to work and then I'm off to SPi.

I'm pretty excited about it. Just have to put in 3 more hours of pretending to work and then I'm off to SPi.

Getting ready to head out the door to meet up with ddec for his fitting. Can't wait to see some of the process first hand.

Great work Bullfrog! Thanks for posting!

Awesome Cap, I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

this maybe better suited for the practice thread, but it's all part of the SPi experience...

last night i pulled out the Triangulator and was putting around with that for a good 30 minutes or so.
i can't wait to get that new SeeMore out on the course and really give it a go, because so far, it's straight money inside on the carpet!
i don't plan on missing many putts this year...

the nice thing, that i've talked about before, is that with this whole experience and actually focusing on putting and tips from the lesson, you take one less variable out of why you miss putts. after the lesson and applying these methods and practicing them night in and night out...you can feel confident that if/when you miss a putt, it's not because of a bad stroke on your part. maybe you didn't get the line or the speed quite right, but you can assure yourself that your doing everything correct mechanically, and that's a good feeling.

I do agree with you tnolan! This eliminates extra variables. But there's another benefit to this that I'm noticing as I pratice. I can now tell the instant I make contact if the ball is on line, or if I pulled it soehow & it's going left, ao pushed it to the right. These aren't huge misses (6-12" away from cup), but now I'm thinking "What did I do wrong?" And with a few practice strokes, I can start to identify what's up (too much tension in my arms, or weight not on toes, etc.). So I can quickly get back on track. Before SPi, I had no clue why I was missing - certainly no way to correct it on the course.

Getting ready to head out the door to meet up with ddec for his fitting. Can't wait to see some of the process first hand.

awesome. awesome to the max.

I do agree with you tnolan! This eliminates extra variables. But there's another benefit to this that I'm noticing as I pratice. I can now tell the instant I make contact if the ball is on line, or if I pulled it soehow & it's going left, ao pushed it to the right. These aren't huge misses (6-12" away from cup), but now I'm thinking "What did I do wrong?" And with a few practice strokes, I can start to identify what's up (too much tension in my arms, or weight not on toes, etc.). So I can quickly get back on track. Before SPi, I had no clue why I was missing - certainly no way to correct it on the course.

exactly right!
and this is the main reason that i taped up my golf balls with blue athletic tape, so that i have a big thick line on the ball for instant feedback.
before, when i would "practice" putting...i would just try from different distances or breaks, and maybe throw some tees down for some simple drills...but it was never really practice to improve. it was more just the philosophy of, "well, the more i putt, the better i should get, right?"

so like you said, with this new outlook and more drills, i can instantly tell if i've not struck the ball well, based on the roll of the ball and i can actually feel the difference between a good and bad stroke...where before, like you mentioned, no clue.

Ddec rolling some putts...
a7abuhem.jpg

amu6abep.jpg

Working on swinging the club.

Ddec's a machine with carpet 5 footers!

I had a terrific time with PGA pro and SPi instructor Scott Dirck http://www.scottdirckgolf.com today. Scott went above and beyond for me and it ended up being almost a 2 hour lesson. I want to give you a little history before I roll into today's fitting. I really couldn't find any consistency with my putting last year and I am sure it all starts with my set-up. From reviewing some pictures, I seem to have progressively become more hunched over in my stance. Here is a picture from the Iowa Tour Van stop last fall:

IMG_1057-1_zpscf0d8a76.jpg

I ended up getting into several bad habits including a forward press and some grip issues but in the end I realized I needed to start from scratch. Even before I was sponsored by SeeMore or even knew I was in the Morgan Cup for that matter the SPi method seemed to make the most sense to me. I had messed around with a SeeMore mFGP2 back in 2011 after reading some reviews and had some success. So I picked up a M1 from Jman and started watching the videos on SeeMore's website and the review threads here on THP.

I have worked over the last few months to follow the more upright stance and other teachings of Pat O'Brien so I was hoping that the fitting/lesson today would prove that I was on the right track and there would be no need for any major adjustments as I think I have been rolling the ball fairly well.

The Facility:

Scott Dirck's Golf Academy has all the tools you need to improve your game. This place the perfect for working on your game year round, which can be tough in Minnesota but thanks to the heated bays you can use the driving range almost year round. The putting green is a nice size and if I lived closer Scott would get tired of me because I would be here every chance I got.

Spoiler

DSC04593_zps252fcf49.jpg

DSC04575_zpse4ecc333.jpg

DSC04592_zps8218f299.jpg

DSC04567_zpsc090fbd0.jpg

DSC04595_zpsf88c1cde.jpg

DSC04573_zpsdf9d87e9.jpg
DSC04576_zpsab5a9fb1.jpg

The Fitting:

Scott and I chatted for a few minutes and discussed what my expectations were, got a little background on my game, and told my he had cleared his schedule for the morning so we had plenty of time. Scott started by getting some static measurements including my wrist to floor and the length of my current putter. He then observed me putting for 5 min. or so before taking me into another room to get some pictures/video of my current set-up. He said I needed to make one change to the way I set up to the ball but overall things look really good.

DSC04570_zps1357170c.jpg

The only change Scott wanted to make was to get my eyes inside the ball a bit vs. being directly over the ball. This would help promote the natural arc of the stroke. We went back out to the putting green and used an Eyeline putting mirror to work on getting my set-up correct. While I worked on getting the changes to the stance right, Scott gave me an adjustable putter and worked on getting the length that he thought worked best. He also went back and watched some of the video he took earlier.

DSC04591_zps4f258a83.jpg

DSC04590_zpsf26e6560.jpg

Scott noticed a timing issue with my stoke and used a couple of SPi orange training balls for me to use as a point of reference to make the stroke the same distance back and forth and work on having the backswing time equal the time it takes for the forward part of the stroke. When we thought we had everything where we wanted it we went back in front of the camera to see what the results looked like. I was now in a more athletic position with my eyes in the correct location.

DSC04571_zpsc9223d9b.jpg

DSC04569_zps59f04822.jpg

We decided 37" is the length that works best. After moving back from ball with the new stance the toe of the putter was coming off the ground so we went with 69* for the lie which is 1* flat from SeeMore's standard. I really like the feel of the M series putters and prefer a small mallet. I had a hard time deciding between the OneCS and the M8. Both are gorgeous putters but I decided to stick with the platinum finish I have on my M1 and wanted to try the aluminum insert so I went with the M8.

productimage-picture-m8-121_jpg_607x607_q85_zps167d7733.jpg

productimage-picture-m8-122_jpg_607x607_q85_zps333307ce.jpg

I want to thank SeeMore and Scott Dirck for this opportunity. I have already discussed a return visit to make sure my posture is correct and to work more on the stroke itself. Scott was very enthusiastic and you can tell he really cares about his clients. I am thrilled to have several months to work with my new putter and having Scott's support, I am sure my putting will improve and my scores with go down.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff and great putter, Howzat!

Erik, that was an awesome write-up. Cool stuff man! Guy is gonna be breakin some hearts come July!

Great stuff Howzat!!! Excellent writeup, sounds like a great place!!!

I can't wait to read the full review later tonight Dean!!!

Excellent stuff Howzat! I truly do love reading all this.

You are going to be lethal on the greens!

Great write up Howie! That M8 is a good looking putter! Glad you got something your comfortable with.

Great read Howzat! That is a pretty, and in your case a long putter! :D

awesome write up Erik!
what's really cool about this whole thing is it seems like each guy is doing a few different things, but each with the same end goal.
i love it.
i need to give Chris a call and head back down there soon for a 3 month check-up!

awesome write up Erik!
what's really cool about this whole thing is it seems like each guy is doing a few different things, but each with the same end goal.
i love it.
i need to give Chris a call and head back down there soon for a 3 month check-up!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think the 3 month or maybe sooner in my case check-up is going to be a must. Scott was nice enough to really spend some time with me because he wanted me to feel confident I could get myself back in the right position before he let me go. He also gave me a great tip, because I don't have an Eyeline putting mirror at home, he said an old CD will work just as well. Just put the ball in the center and check that my eyes are inside the ball.

Nice write up Erik my man! Excellent pictures too dude! Love that we are all really getting into the SPi method.

Back