bigtazz53

@bigtazzGOLF
Reaction score
Handicap
13.3 GHIN
Hey folks, curious what you do when you have driver issues.
End of last season I was driving the ball well. Always 250-270 with about a 20 yd fade. After 4 rounds this year I can't get off the tee box to safe my life. I think my problem lies in my stance (to open) causing me to cross the ball instead of going straight thru it. What do you do when you lose faith in what was your most dependable club?

What do you do when you lose faith in what was your most dependable club?
Recheck the basics to make sure fundamentals are okay.

I stand just a bit open, with the ball just forward of center. Lean back and close my shoulders a bit, take it back as if i was going to hit somebodies hand if they were standing in line with the ball and my target. Take it back painfully slow. When i get to the top, i let it fall under its own weight for the slightest moment, then go after it.

on summer days, that swing gives me 280-320

I never stop hitting my driver because its going bad.

The best word of advice I have, when the wheels start to wobble. I try to hit my driver 20-30 yards shorter. Keeps everything controlled and deliberate. The results tend to follow.

When my driver goes to crap I:
1) Take it back real slow
2) Take it back real low - "under the top"
3) Focus on getting my weight to my front foot - seems to get everything else in line.

That's just what I do and It's probably very unorthodox but it's what works for me. Try at your own risk haha.

End of last season I was driving the ball well. Always 250-270 with about a 20 yd fade. After 4 rounds this year I can't get off the tee box to safe my life. I think my problem lies in my stance (to open) causing me to cross the ball instead of going straight thru it. What do you do when you lose faith in what was your most dependable club?
well what are your misses? you can learn a lot about swing flaws just by learning what your misses mean

When I have issues, I always seek out the help of our PGA Professional. I want another live set of eyes to see what I have. For me, it takes very few swings for my teacher to see what is happening and what needs to be done to correct it. If you can locate a PGA Pro in your area, I would seek some live help.

It's usually ball position for me. I get it too far forward and go from a nice draw to violent hook. If you are talking about what to do as an alternative to the driver while you fix it, I'm not sure. If I can't hit my driver I usually can't hit my 3 wood either. When you were going as good as you were , it usually a small fix causing the big problem. I'd keep swinging away with the driver personally.

You have the same issue I had for a long time. Try strengthening your grip( trail hand moves under the grip more) I did this and I've had a lot of success. Also make sure you really focus on IN to OUT swing. Use alignment sticks if needed.

Like some have said, get back to basics. Go to the range and just work on a swing that is about 60-75% of your normal swing. When you are getting ball flight that you are comfortable with, start ramping it up back to your 90-95% swing that you are used to.

Another good thing is get a pro to help you out. Lessons with a PGA pro are always a good idea when you are struggling and can get you back to a confident mindset to start hitting fairways again.

I usually choke down a little and like what everyone is saying just take it slow. And also my little training thing I do. Tee the ball up as you normally wood and use a hybrid, FW, or long iron and just try to make solid contact every time. I also suggest taping the club to cut back on paint chips. Once you feel as if you're making good contact, move on to the driver and choke down as if you were hitting the club you used. Slowly progress to your normal grip.

Thanks for ideas, will be at the range a few times this week to iron it out before league starts on Sat.

Back