Maintaining the Proper Spine Agle

If you find something that works for your tall arse, please pass it on to this taller arse.

I have been thinking about this and I wonder if it has anything to do with our age and loss of flexibility? Any thoughts on this anyone?

Maybe so DD. I think it's hard for a human to swing away from their body without wanting to sway/lose spine angle on the way back with it. I try to keep a little more weight on my heels, but still maintaining an athletic like stance so I can't be pushed over. I also try to put about 60% of my weight on my front foot. That helps me keep that core and that spine angle as still as possible.

Well Keegan Bradley does, but yes, Lee is one of the best.

Maintaining spine angles is something I struggle with.

I know you guys are going to think I'm a homer for saying this, but watch videos of Lee Westwood. Like Freddie said, trying to cover the ball with your chest is the absolute best way to keep that core still and swing around it. And no one on earth does that better than Lee Westwood. At least in my opinion.

Maybe so DD. I think it's hard for a human to swing away from their body without wanting to sway/lose spine angle on the way back with it. I try to keep a little more weight on my heels, but still maintaining an athletic like stance so I can't be pushed over. I also try to put about 60% of my weight on my front foot. That helps me keep that core and that spine angle as still as possible.

I thought the weight was to be evenly divided between the toes and heels, I plan to hit the range today and I will try to move my weigth slightly to my heels and concentrate on turning my right shoulder under my chin on the swing. Great thoughts in this thread already and awesome videos posted by everyone. Thanks.

If you find something that works for your tall arse, please pass it on to this taller arse.

I have been thinking about this and I wonder if it has anything to do with our age and loss of flexibility? Any thoughts on this anyone?

As much as I do hate to admit this I believe you are spot on with this Dawg. Great info from everyone on this and I love the recent videos added. Good stuff TC and something I will be working on in the near future. Again thanks for all the info you guys have brought to the table!

I thought the weight was to be evenly divided between the toes and heels, I plan to hit the range today and I will try to move my weigth slightly to my heels and concentrate on turning my right shoulder under my chin on the swing. Great thoughts in this thread already and awesome videos posted by everyone. Thanks.

The weight should be in the balls of your feet not your heals. If you swing from the heels you will never get through your swing. More then likely you will start hitting a lot of inconsistent shots.

Correct posture is the number one thing to make sure of before anything else, it is virtually impossible to stay balanced and centered over the ball if your body is getting in your own way on either the backswing or downswing. It is very easy to lose spine angle, balance, plane, control and consistency when fighting with an imperfect setup and posture. Turning past what is easy for you to turn to will also cause inconsistent contact through bobbing, swaying, twisting, loss of balance. It may not feel like overswinging at the time you are doing it but it will show up in inconsistent contact. Most likely a more correct back swing length is going to feel like a 3/4 swing at first.

OG, check out the Golf Fix tonight. At the 20 minute mark, Breed gives a drill using a staff bag behind him to keep the spine angle.

OG, check out the Golf Fix tonight. At the 20 minute mark, Breed gives a drill using a staff bag behind him to keep the spine angle.

Dang buddy I missed it however will definitely catch it on the reshow. KellyBo and I had to attend our first of the year local Golf Association meeting.

KellyBo is gonna kill me for this one however after I got my irons bent -1 degree flat my swing has improved substantially! It is really kind of funny however I'm gonna get an arse whupping for posting this. :beat-up::deadhorse:.. She was at the range being my swing coach after my irons were adjusted. I know my spine angle is off but the change to the irons are really making me smile!

[video=youtube_share;SnsX4rX-alg]http://youtu.be/SnsX4rX-alg[/video]

Hmmmmmmmmm ok..

Last edited:
Nice going buddy, getting the hook straightened out at just the right time.

I thought that last swing looked really nice keep up the good work man that's my biggest problem as well.

OG based on what I saw your spine angle is fine. Your lower body is a bit lat to the game. I paused your swing just prior to impact and the club was in a great position, right elbow was set in a great position but the hips were still facing the ball.
If the lower body is slow or stops you will hit a hook. But as long as your hips keep moving with the swing I am seeing you should be just fine.

OG based on what I saw your spine angle is fine. Your lower body is a bit lat to the game. I paused your swing just prior to impact and the club was in a great position, right elbow was set in a great position but the hips were still facing the ball.
If the lower body is slow or stops you will hit a hook. But as long as your hips keep moving with the swing I am seeing you should be just fine.

Thanks Partner! I will work on clearing those hips out of the way :thumb:. Looking forward to meeting you in a few days for some on range lessons :D

Thanks Partner! I will work on clearing those hips out of the way :thumb:. Looking forward to meeting you in a few days for some on range lessons :D
Remember don't slide them forward, you have to turn them through the ball.

Already on the books!

I got an email on spine angle today and Tom Watson is discussing it. So of course I am going to post about it! I was going to make a thread about it but then I found this thread from last year by Ole Gray.

I can't copy|paste from that website without doing a print screen so here is the website where I saw it: http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/pro-ignature-move/tom-watson-consistent-spine-angle/

The following is from: http://golfswingjourney.com/golf-swing-secrets-tom-watson.html

Tom Watson presents his golf swing secrets that allow him to hit the golf ball consistently. In this open and candid video, Watson goes through what he thinks to be the most important aspect of a golf swing, the shoulder rotation.

According to Watson, the problem most amateur golfers have is with the spine angle. If you are having difficulty hitting consistent shots it is most likely because you are not keeping your spine angle consistent throughout the shot. So many golfers change the spine angle throughout the shot or even simply through impact. This gives you many different problems.

In order to understand this concept, Watson gives the following instructions. Stand upright holding a club across your shoulders. Simply rotate from side to side. The plane that the golf club is on should be consistent while you are roatating i.e. it remains parallel with the ground throughought the rotations. This should give you the consept you are after. Now we don’t hit the ball from an upright position; we need to bend over slightly to hit the ball. The concept must remain the same though.

Lean over to a stance where you are ready to hit a golf ball. As you did before, put the club across your shoulders. In this stance rotate the shoulders from side to side. Although the club will be on an angle the plane it moves on should be constant throughout the rotations. This means your spine angle is correct. It is when the angle changes that you get yourself into trouble and need a GPS to find your ball after your shot.

This Tom Watson drill can be practiced in to comfort of your lounge. Try it in front of a mirror so you can see what you are doing and get a feel for it at the same time. This should help you improve your swing.

A problem I have as well. I wish it was that easy :)

A problem I have as well. I wish it was that easy :)

Yeah. And it's easy do do standing in the room without a club in your hands!

It always is nice when I can pull it off though.

My biggest problem is that on the back swing I might stand up a bit, or during the down swing I kind of lay back changing my spine angle, and I hit inconsistently. I've been working hard to change his but its hard with the longer clubs where I have to stand a bit taller

The best thing to do is to focus on swinging around my body and making sure my left shoulder stays on the ball

My club pro told me to think of it this way, the left shoulder and arm and club are one piece, when the shoulder goes down the club should go up this helps me with that thought

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Back