The College Thread

I bombed my first college experience 7 years ago, spent 4 years in the Marine Corps and walked away with a 4.0 in fall 2012. Grow up and mature much? Haha.

Also, the out of state talk is real. I didn't go OOS, but a lot of times you can get scholarships to cover the OOS portion so it costs the same as an in state school, fyi

Go out of state!

Go someplace warm!

I have a bunch of other things I could add, but let's just start there.

go somewhere where you see yourself having fun and being comfortable

Get away from home.
University of Hawaii. A girl I was dating around 2003, her daughter was looking into colleges and found it was cheaper to go there than to go to either KU or K-State and a resident student!

Then she ended up getting pregnant and not going anywhere.

Also, the out of state talk is real. I didn't go OOS, but a lot of times you can get scholarships to cover the OOS portion so it costs the same as an in state school, fyi

I agree with this. With the scholarship I got at Clemson, it ends up being almost as cheap as going in-state to Rutgers would have and way cheaper than a lot of other places.

And ok I will tell part of one story. Leaving out the sleazy details, I met a girl from a school a few miles from Tech known for not being the hardest of schools- this having less upstanding women. This was like a month into freshman year, girl ended up taking a liking to me and texting me constantly. She would call me the weirdest pet names like "Button" and, I s*** you not, "Humblebug". Now I wanted nothing to do with her after a certain point, and eventually managed to blow her off enough that she stopped trying to get with me.

To this day, me and my friends call each other Humblebug all the time. If she ever heard us now I don't know what she would say

Me too. College is really freaking hard. Did not see it coming.

Yeah dude I've had my share, my GPA has suffered when I effed up but have always kept it above a 3.0, I need to
Get into grad school lol. College is really hard it's not like high school, they can actually fail you here they don't care

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Jack, you said you want to go to school for engineering, right? Get ready.

ape3agez.jpg

That's so true! I would hate when I would tell my Marketing friends that I was having an open-book exam and they thought it was going to be easy. You don't understand how difficult a professor can make a question until they let you use an entire textbook to solve it, and you still don't get it all right

That's so true! I would hate when I would tell my Marketing friends that I was having an open-book exam and they thought it was going to be easy. You don't understand how difficult a professor can make a question until they let you use an entire textbook to solve it, and you still don't get it all right

Agreed. It's annoying how difficult some stuff can be. You think it's easy and you're fine, then get rocked by a test.

Agreed. It's annoying how difficult some stuff can be. You think it's easy and you're fine, then get rocked by a test.

Yeah that's the story of my life

Will sound like an old man but looking back I would recommend moderation above all else. Now you are expecting wild stories about partying, etc. but in my case just the opposite. I went to a very demanding academic school for undergraduate and played a sport (as a walk-on) - I took overload classes to graduate sooner in order to save money (20 hours a semester plus summer school while working construction and in a golf shop). Three years later I was out Magna Cum Laude with a scholarship to a prestigious graduate school but the whole experience was a blur. Two years later had a Masters degree earned while juggling three jobs - another blur. Really wished I would have stopped to enjoy that time.

College is coming up fast for me and I'm gonna have a bazillion questions to ask. Plenty of THPers are in college or recently graduated so I can't think of somewhere better to turn to for help. I just got back from a visit to U of Michigan and it is on the top of my list. My chances of getting in are solid so my biggest thing is what the heck do I do when I get there? How does one deal with a crappy roommate? How long does it take to get into the swing of things?

For comical reasons I'd also love to hear funny stories. My dad has told me some of the funniest things I've ever heard from college but he's out of material.

THPing on Tapatalk

Don't forget about exams lol, some people forget about them and don't study for them and realize they have them soon.

Other students don't even show up to class in exam day. My mom teaches at a university and she can't count how many times students have skipped ok exams and quizzes lol

I'm taking classes there next year to knock out gen eds (senior in HS next yr). Anything special I'd need to know for three hours or so a day?

THPing on Tapatalk

Sorry I missed this. Get there early the first day. Parking can be horrendous depending on the time of the day. Lines of cars 3 blocks long waiting to park.

Sorry I missed this. Get there early the first day. Parking can be horrendous depending on the time of the day. Lines of cars 3 blocks long waiting to park.

I'm in luck. Just found out Byron Center HS (where I live) teaches GRCC classes right there. No need to go downtown anymore!

THPing on Tapatalk

I always park far away and use my bike for transportation, it makes life simple and I get to exercise at the same time

College is coming up fast for me and I'm gonna have a bazillion questions to ask. Plenty of THPers are in college or recently graduated so I can't think of somewhere better to turn to for help. I just got back from a visit to U of Michigan and it is on the top of my list. My chances of getting in are solid so my biggest thing is what the heck do I do when I get there? How does one deal with a crappy roommate? How long does it take to get into the swing of things?

For comical reasons I'd also love to hear funny stories. My dad has told me some of the funniest things I've ever heard from college but he's out of material.

THPing on Tapatalk
Can't speak specifically for UofM but based on my experience, there are ways around roommates AND living on campus.

Can't speak specifically for UofM but based on my experience, there are ways around roommates AND living on campus.

Not living on campus as a freshman would be a huge mistake. I'm glad many schools are requiring it now.

college is really what you make of it. If you want friends, be sociable; if you want parties, go find them; if you want sports, there's plenty of teams.

I've got a couple bits of advice (having graduated last spring) that I'm also preaching to my sister who is a year from going to college. Make sure you don't mess around with your first semester. It's hard to concentrate on studies with all the new found freedom, but a 2.0 or less gpa first semester is going to be nearly impossible to make up, and grades are important. Second, definitely attend a larger school. Smaller schools, though I think the education is actually better, get no respect when looking for jobs post school, and especially as bad as the market is now.

Roommates can be good and bad, hopefully you get a good one, but again, your roommate will probably think the same way as you do, i.e. not knowing what to expect. Just be a cool dude, and stuff will work out. Its quite important to find out who you are, living in a dorm is a major life changer, hell, some people absolutely thrive on it.

Just have some fun and try to make some connections. Once you figure out what you want to do for a living, start talking to your professors, advisers and career center, they'll be big.

Not sure if this has been said but get involved. AnY groups or organizations are a great way to meet people and keeps you busy. You can make some great connections.

See if they have a golf club and if they don't start one. Join a fraternity if that's your thing. You will find yourself with a lot of time on your hands so make use of it

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Good luck with your college journey dude. I went to college for a year right out of high school but I commuted because it wasn't too far and I wanted to save money on room and board because I was paying for everything myself. I took a few years off and then started back up going to college online and will finish my degree in September. I miss out on all the social aspects of college since I go online which is one thing I really miss about spending time on campus. Even though I wasn't living on campus when I first went to college I don't think I met too many guys in the dorm during the weekend orientation that I would have butted heads with. You will hardly spend any time in your room anyway unless you are studying, and in that case you won't be talking to your roommate anyway.

BTW...Go Buckeyes!

I went the ungodly expensive private liberal arts school route. Let me know if you need any tips/information regarding that path, haha.

Seriously though, some great advice in this thread. You'll do well no matter what!

I went the ungodly expensive private liberal arts school route. Let me know if you need any tips/information regarding that path, haha.

Seriously though, some great advice in this thread. You'll do well no matter what!

Aside from a special case (top civil engineering school in the country, has a specific literary degree nobody else has you want, etc...) is there any real advantage? Is the degree four times better than a public school (price)? Is there as much to do with so few students?

Don't be THAT freshman,that's all ok going to say

Back