Preferred Putting Drills/Methods

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In my lesson yesterday, we spent a lot of time talking about the natural pendulum the putter head should take on the stroke. It got me in such a good way mentally trying to help the putter up on the path in my back stroke and really helped put solid roll on the golf ball.

With that said, searching everywhere for lessons on solid contact/roll prior to this weekend, I had no real solution. No one specifically talked about it. So I hope this thread can help folks who prefer to go it alone in their methods, searching for 'their' stroke via YouTube fundamentals.

This drill was shared with me yesterday by SPi instructor Chris Carfangia, but I found a YouTube that offers a similar approach, and it's something MOST of us have easy access to.

Things this drill accomplishes: Better roll, reduces use of hands and more core pendulum

This drill not only helps to keep your stroke on a great pendulum, it reduces the likelihood of hitting up on the golf ball, which almost completely resolved my 'bouncing' and allowed for a more true roll. I'll be manipulating an alignment aid to have a rubber base for use this summer. Having that resting on top of the putter absolutely forces the individual to generate that pendulum or the stick falls. It was said that this can also be accomplished with a driver, but I think I like the idea of an alignment aid a lot more.

One of the best visuals I took away from this, is seeing the butt end of the putter. On an anchored putt with the trainer, the putter stays aligned with the stick, which is always pointing into the center of the chest. This changed everything for me, and made it easier to transition.

What are some of your preferred drills on the putting green to guarantee a natural stroke, pure roll, aiming on line, etc?

Great drill Dan, thanks for sharing

Great job Dan. Good find. I have never seen this video but it surely describes it well. Take a look at TW working the chest to keep the hands in front of him...

Keep up the great work !

Great job Dan. Good find. I have never seen this video but it surely describes it well. Take a look at TW working the chest to keep the hands in front of him...

Keep up the great work !

I've got an alignment stick (the Home Depot version, hah) taped up and it's a great length to use for this drill. Not perfect, but really forcing me to think about keeping the putter on line with my chest throughout the putting stroke.

You're the man Chris. I've been a carpet putting lunatic this week.

An old thread, but one I wanted to bump as I was hunting for this video for a friend as it feeds in nicely with a variety of other drills.

I think this drill is one of, if not the best 'on green' drills available. So visual, instant feedback, and something you can do easily with tools already in the bag. If you're struggling with returning the putter to center before making contact, I would strongly encourage you give this drill a chance.

Back