When was the game great?

I personally think that nostalgia clouds our visions of reality. Not just on this topic, but in many things. I think today's teenagers are idiots, but there were guys just like me saying the same thing about my generation 20 years ago.

I believe this to be every walk of life. Food, music, sports, heck the list is really endless.

I'm pretty happy with where golf is today. There are certain aspects that were cool 100 years ago, 50 years ago, and 10 years ago. But the game is affordable right now. The majority of us have a low end course near us we can play for dirt cheap, and you can pick up solid used clubs from just a few years ago for a few hundred dollars. On the flip side if you are willing to spend money the game is open to you too, you can go out and drop 3K and buy a bag that is fit to you in the same way the pros clubs are fit to them.

THP has made the game much more enjoyable for me. In Tiger's prime that wasn't available, and there was no internet before that.

There are plenty more reasons I am happy with where golf is, I wouldn't go back at all.

I agree with what Wake said. I feel that right now the game is great. I would like to see a tournament where the players had to wear the clothing that was required with Bobby Jones and so on. I think it would be interesting to see how they having a tie on would effect their game. I also think that having a fitting truck at almost every tournament has effected the game where players don't have to wait to adjust their clubs they can get it done almost immediatly.

I personally think that nostalgia clouds our visions of reality. Not just on this topic, but in many things. I think today's teenagers are idiots, but there were guys just like me saying the same thing about my generation 20 years ago.

That's certainly true, and has been happening since there WERE teenagers. There's a popular quote by Socrates.

But it's a matter of degree. In golf, I wasn't allowed to go on the course as a kid unless I demostrated I knew the ettiquette and rules. Today, I see less of that. Just the way things are.

I have no nostalgia for the days of rich guys only and snobbishness. None. I do miss the civility.

Golden age? The Big Three? Jack's era? Tiger's? Today? It's all cyclical. For me, it was the late 70's, because I was a kid learning the game and I loved everything about it. I can talk about the players and depth of talent and the greats that played, but it's all just justifying my choice after it's made.

As much as I think Tiger's domination period was incredible and good for the game, I think the result was far greater. To see the level of competition that Tiger forced everyone to elevate their game to has pushed what is possible on a golf course. It has also made tournaments more fun to watch IMO, simply by having so many guys playing out of their minds.

When it comes to the best period in history, I really don't know without having been there. From a nostalgia perspective the old times were the good times but for me, the here and now is hard to beat.

I think without a doubt golf has gone in the right direction the past 10-15 years. Making golf more accessible to everyone, is the key to keeping the game growing. I hate to give all the credit to one player, but there is no question that when Tiger came on to the tour and started winning like crazy, golf's popularity grew exponentially. I mean just look at the tournaments he plays in and the crowds he brings in, it is just flat out incredible and unmatched by anybody.

Golf just needs to keep growing. Courses need revenue to keep their courses in shape, equipment manufacturers need customers to buy their equipment so they can stay in business, and the golfers themselves need more players so they can keep doing what they love.

I believe this to be every walk of life. Food, music, sports, heck the list is really endless.

I agree with of those comments, not necessarily the bit about idiots, but I do think that each generation has a lot less respect for everything in general and less manners than what I/we were taught growing up

As an example, I saw something posted on Facebook the other day that was worded along the lines of 'If I had talked to my parents the way some kids do these days, I wouldn't be here to post this' and that felt so true looking at society today

I think without a doubt golf has gone in the right direction the past 10-15 years. Making golf more accessible to everyone, is the key to keeping the game growing. I hate to give all the credit to one player, but there is no question that when Tiger came on to the tour and started winning like crazy, golf's popularity grew exponentially. I mean just look at the tournaments he plays in and the crowds he brings in, it is just flat out incredible and unmatched by anybody.

Golf just needs to keep growing. Courses need revenue to keep their courses in shape, equipment manufacturers need customers to buy their equipment so they can stay in business, and the golfers themselves need more players so they can keep doing what they love.

But they need to balance this with not pricing themselves out of the range of people who would like to play but can't because the courses local to them are either too expensive, or so cheap that you end up with undesirable types on the course spoiling the enjoyment for others due to behaviour or lack of etiquette. Although this can be just as bad at expensive clubs where members think they have more rights than visitors or guests

An impossible question, but a great one, for sure. Like others have said, nostalgia clouds our view. Whenever I hear people say things like, "It's not the way the game is supposed to be played," I get frustrated. How was it "supposed to be played"? And who are you to determine that?

But as far as greatest "era," there are so many possible answers. A strong argument could probably be made that the greatest era was from when Francis Ouimet broke the social class barrier in golf through the Bobby Jones era. Then, watch American Triumvirate and I can see why the Byron/Snead/Hogan era was the best. I used to watch Big Three Golf on the GC, and I really thought the Nicklaus/Palmer/Player era was the best. I started playing golf when Tiger was dominating, and I was so fascinated by him that the late 90s/early 2000s seems the best. Plus Tiger brought the game to a whole new audience, not to mention he shattered some racial barriers that guys like Jim Thorpe had begun to crack years back.

And now, there are more talented players than ever. We have managed to get to a point where on any given week, anyone can win (yay, parity!), but there are still dominating personalities like Tiger and Rory. Plus, there is such a great influx of young, vibrant personalities (Rickie, Ryo, etc.). So, all in all, I think the game is in pretty darn good hands.

The game was great for amateurs in 2009, before Coc rules went into place. The new equipment (clubs, balls, shafts) meant that we could play, within reason, some of the same courses the pros played and not be so overmatched (vs. the course) that they professionals do.

The game was great for the pros in the mid-80s when metal woods first came out. That we just enought to make it a power game without making the great classic courses obsolete. Now, with the equipment the pros have available, 8,000 yard courses are right around the corner, meaning great tracks like Colonial are almost irrelevant nowadays.

No offense Hawk, but I absoultly hate that question.. I hate waxing poetic about by gone days of any sport. Personally I think there is only one sport that was better in yester year than today and thats most forms of racing.

Golf now is truly no different than it was 50 years ago, but the problem is that the sport is ran by and abassadored by a bunch of guys that think real golf is balata balls, 1 irons, and 200cc wood drivers. Every decade there has been a dominate player, a player that can overpower most any course, a player that was polarizing figure and a player that the general public as a whole loves and wants to see win no matter what.

I want to go on, but it just makes me mad how far stuck in the 19th century this sport is and the people that run are..

No offense Hawk, but I absoultly hate that question.. I hate waxing poetic about by gone days of any sport. Personally I think there is only one sport that was better in yester year than today and thats most forms of racing.

Golf now is truly no different than it was 50 years ago, but the problem is that the sport is ran by and abassadored by a bunch of guys that think real golf is balata balls, 1 irons, and 200cc wood drivers. Every decade there has been a dominate player, a player that can overpower most any course, a player that was polarizing figure and a player that the general public as a whole loves and wants to see win no matter what.

I want to go on, but it just makes me mad how far stuck in the 19th century this sport is and the people that run are..

No offense taken! Funny, but I absolutely love to read about the games history in the last 125 years, yet I still agree with you.

No offense taken! Funny, but I absolutely love to read about the games history in the last 125 years, yet I still agree with you.
I'm a history guy, I love the history of stuff and I like retro/modern things, but to base rules of sport that has evolved more in technology, fitness, training, and design than any other sport (other than auto racing) is silly. Especially when it comes to equipment..

I'm pretty new to golf...this is my fifth year. I love the way it is now. Technology is fun, and all the new equipment is great. Looking back at the older stuff, I find it cool and interesting how things from balls and clubs to courses and the way they are maintained has changed.

Maybe I didn't make my point well enough. We continue to hear that things about today's game are not really the way it was intended to be played. People hit it too far. They don't try to drive it in the fairway and hack out of the rough with wedges right by the hole. Courses are becoming obsolete. The anchored stroke goes against the spirit of the game.

My question is more related to what time period you think golf was ideal.

Hawk,

I think golf is as ideal today as it was 30 years ago, 100 years ago or whenever.

Yes, technology is improving and players are getting stronger, but the game is adapting. Whether it be longer courses, more difficult courses, faster greens, or eventual equipment changes (limited flight ball), the game will keep its integrity.

I get frustrated when I hear Lee Trevino say "golf has gotten too easy these days. Back in our day, we took it out of the dirt." While the dirt part is true because of the poor conditions of some of the courses he grew up on, it doesn't make today's game any less pure. It makes no sense to say that golf is easier because courses have changed away from your type of game. I certainly understand the value of the "out of the dirt" type of game, and I admire the creativity of a Seve, or a Trevino, or a Moe Norman. But, for them to suggest that today's golfer is not as good as they were in their prime is simply nostalgic thinking.

Today's game is great, and there's as many ways to win as there ever were.

The game was great in the era of Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen.

The game was great in the era of Snead, Hogan, and Nelson.

The game was great in the era of Jack and Arnie.

The game was great in the era of Tiger and Phil.

The game is still great today.

The game is good right now. More people are playing. There's more coverage via cable, golf channel and THP. There's a couple of things that could make it better though. I would love there to be a current triumverate. Personally, i think that's what makes the older generations so popular. The other major change, and i know people will disagree, is the OEM advertising. It's so over the top, in your face, every minute of every telecast. Could you imagine Bobby Jones or Arnold Palmer screaming that his clubs are ballzier?

Hawk,

I think golf is as ideal today as it was 30 years ago, 100 years ago or whenever.

Yes, technology is improving and players are getting stronger, but the game is adapting. Whether it be longer courses, more difficult courses, faster greens, or eventual equipment changes (limited flight ball), the game will keep its integrity.

I get frustrated when I hear Lee Trevino say "golf has gotten too easy these days. Back in our day, we took it out of the dirt." While the dirt part is true because of the poor conditions of some of the courses he grew up on, it doesn't make today's game any less pure. It makes no sense to say that golf is easier because courses have changed away from your type of game. I certainly understand the value of the "out of the dirt" type of game, and I admire the creativity of a Seve, or a Trevino, or a Moe Norman. But, for them to suggest that today's golfer is not as good as they were in their prime is simply nostalgic thinking.

Today's game is great, and there's as many ways to win as there ever were.

This is excatly the stuff I hate. Hate, hate, hate.... This guys is supposed to be an abassador for the sport to the masses, but then he makes a stupid statement like that. Golf isn't easy and never will be easy. I don't think for one minute golf is any easier now than it was 30 years ago. Its a different kind of hard now. Used to it was the condition of the course that might have made the sport tough, now its the design of the course of that makes the sport tough. Thats just one example...

The game is good right now. More people are playing. There's more coverage via cable, golf channel and THP. There's a couple of things that could make it better though. I would love there to be a current triumverate. Personally, i think that's what makes the older generations so popular. The other major change, and i know people will disagree, is the OEM advertising. It's so over the top, in your face, every minute of every telecast. Could you imagine Bobby Jones or Arnold Palmer screaming that his clubs are ballzier?

If Bobby Jones had the Rocketballz driver in his day, he might have.

Golf is definitely easier now than it was 30 years ago. Courses are longer but so are drivers, irons, balls.

Greens are smoother, technology is better, and products are more consistent. Not to mention lessons these days are way better than they ever were back in the day.

The game of golf and the PGA Tour are completely separate for me in this discussion.

The game is perfect right now. Course options, demographic inclusion, prices, instruction, and equipment innovation have never been better.

The game of golf is more player friendly than it has ever been.

If Bobby Jones had the Rocketballz driver in his day, he might have.

Haha, That's probably true. It's just too over the top for my tastes.

Could you imagine Bobby Jones or Arnold Palmer screaming that his clubs are ballzier?

I like to keep the state of modern marketing separate from how I feel about the state of the game. I don't watch commercials on the course.

The game started heading in the right direction in the late 90s/early 2000s and never looked back when Tiger started on his path of pure dominance. The game was suffering frOm lack of viewership and not a lot of younger people playing the game.

Tiger essentially helped revive the game by turning it into more of a sport than a activity. The game is great today with lots of up and coming young players, great teaching tools, crazy technology, and the general publics increase in interest.

Back